Started radiation, 2 down, 31 to go!

I started my radiation treatments on Thursday. So far, not much change except for a little pain in that area that comes and goes, and pretty much feel normal. I am sure as treatments go on, that will change. The actual process only took 5 minutes, in and out of the hospital in 35 minutes, too bad my drive time is 50 minutes one-way.

I guess I'm wondering at what treatment will the fatigue set in? Any other side effects I should be concerned about? Anything you can share would be appreciated. I started Tamoxifen three weeks ago, and really haven't noticed any effects from that - - - yet.

Hugs to all!

Thanks!

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    I am glad you don't have
    I am glad you don't have side effects from Tamoxifen! I would think they would be showing up by now. Radiation will fly by. For the drive, just put in a audio book or good music. If you can, have company.

Cindy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    You'll be surprised at how fast the rads fly by
    In the beginning, it sounds so daunting--33 treatments. I treated it like my job--going every day, five days a week. But, the good news was--I only had to be at that job for minutes--not the usual 8 hours!

The best advice I can give is to use the creams very liberally. Sometimes the rad. onc. will have some for you to use. I used Aquaphor ointment at night with an old white tank top on (it's very greasy) and Eucerin cream during the day. I started it the day I started rads--don't wait till you have redness. Really slather it on--I don't think it's possible to use too much. The only thing to remember--make sure you don't have the stuff on at least 2 hours before your treatment. So, if you go to bed slathered up, just shower before your appointment to get it all off and then you can reapply as soon as you're done. I even took a tube with me to put on as soon as I was done with the treatment.

I got a little red towards the end, but no blisters or breaks in the skin at all and I have pretty fair, sensitive skin.

I got some supra-clavicular radiation as well which caused a little bit of a swallowing issue toward the end. It just felt like I had a pill stuck sometimes. They explained that it was common to get a little esophagitis from the radiation, but that it would subside when treatment was over. It was never a real problem and the sensation did go away almost immediately after treatment.

I did get tired toward the end (maybe last couple of weeks). But, I rested when I needed to, and I hope you are able to do that.

All in all, this was tons easier than chemo. Everything I'm telling you, obviously, is my experience. But, I think you're going to do great and all will go well.

Hugs, Renee
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    missrenee said:

You'll be surprised at how fast the rads fly by
    In the beginning, it sounds so daunting--33 treatments. I treated it like my job--going every day, five days a week. But, the good news was--I only had to be at that job for minutes--not the usual 8 hours!

The best advice I can give is to use the creams very liberally. Sometimes the rad. onc. will have some for you to use. I used Aquaphor ointment at night with an old white tank top on (it's very greasy) and Eucerin cream during the day. I started it the day I started rads--don't wait till you have redness. Really slather it on--I don't think it's possible to use too much. The only thing to remember--make sure you don't have the stuff on at least 2 hours before your treatment. So, if you go to bed slathered up, just shower before your appointment to get it all off and then you can reapply as soon as you're done. I even took a tube with me to put on as soon as I was done with the treatment.

I got a little red towards the end, but no blisters or breaks in the skin at all and I have pretty fair, sensitive skin.

I got some supra-clavicular radiation as well which caused a little bit of a swallowing issue toward the end. It just felt like I had a pill stuck sometimes. They explained that it was common to get a little esophagitis from the radiation, but that it would subside when treatment was over. It was never a real problem and the sensation did go away almost immediately after treatment.

I did get tired toward the end (maybe last couple of weeks). But, I rested when I needed to, and I hope you are able to do that.

All in all, this was tons easier than chemo. Everything I'm telling you, obviously, is my experience. But, I think you're going to do great and all will go well.

Hugs, Renee

Thanks for your story and advice Renee...
    Iluvmykids... I'm right with your on the Rad treatments. I began my treatments on Wed and have 30 more to go. Like you, so far, so good. I'm beginning the countdown and hope the times flies as all have indicated. My radiologist told me to use Vitamen E oil and that it was ok to wear during the treatment. I also put it on liberaly throughout the day and right after a shower when my skin is moist.

Think I'll take Renee's advice and treat this time like going to work (m-f)... and I love that I only have to stay on that job less than 5 minutes. I'm also thankful the clinic is only 15 minutes from my house.

I'm wishing You all the best and that our time flies...

Big hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I can honestly say I HAD NO
    I can honestly say I HAD NO side effects at all..the dr would say do you feel fatique? I'd say what is that exactly? he said if you dont' know you dont'have it..

anyhow...I DID Not burn at all, not even dry skin just a square tan on chest!

I am HIGH energy person so I told the Dr maybe it would level out my energy level to normal!
    hehe
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    I Second Renee :)
    I couldn't have put it better myself :) I also used Aquaphor at night with an old shirt, and the Radiologist gave me some other creams that were less greasy that I used during the day. I had my appt. in the mornings so I just kept it in my purse and put in on after my treatments. I had 30 radiation treatments in 2010 and never burned at all. In June/July of this year I had 10 rounds and I did burn on my spine but not my front or sides (radiation was to the inner/outer/sides of my spine). As already said, I can't express enough how important it is to keep the lotions going, and start now, not when you get burnt. Many people get through this with little to no burning and you can too :) It does go by fast, that I do remember, before I knew it, I was done. All my best and keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    ~Kari
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

Thanks for your story and advice Renee...
    Iluvmykids... I'm right with your on the Rad treatments. I began my treatments on Wed and have 30 more to go. Like you, so far, so good. I'm beginning the countdown and hope the times flies as all have indicated. My radiologist told me to use Vitamen E oil and that it was ok to wear during the treatment. I also put it on liberaly throughout the day and right after a shower when my skin is moist.

Think I'll take Renee's advice and treat this time like going to work (m-f)... and I love that I only have to stay on that job less than 5 minutes. I'm also thankful the clinic is only 15 minutes from my house.

I'm wishing You all the best and that our time flies...

Big hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)

The exhaustion didn't set in
    The exhaustion didn't set in for me for about 3 weeks or so. Then, it hit me like a bomb. I started then taking naps during the day which helped. Good luck to you!
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112

I Second Renee :)
    I couldn't have put it better myself :) I also used Aquaphor at night with an old shirt, and the Radiologist gave me some other creams that were less greasy that I used during the day. I had my appt. in the mornings so I just kept it in my purse and put in on after my treatments. I had 30 radiation treatments in 2010 and never burned at all. In June/July of this year I had 10 rounds and I did burn on my spine but not my front or sides (radiation was to the inner/outer/sides of my spine). As already said, I can't express enough how important it is to keep the lotions going, and start now, not when you get burnt. Many people get through this with little to no burning and you can too :) It does go by fast, that I do remember, before I knew it, I was done. All my best and keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    ~Kari

great to hear its going well for you....
    I am still in chemo treatment, but will be following right behind you soon. It is good to hear you are having a positive experience and no fatigue to speak of. I am writing down the lotions the other sisters are suggesting so I can have them ready to go. I hope the rads go quickly for you, with no SE's in sight.
    hugs, pp
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

great to hear its going well for you....
    I am still in chemo treatment, but will be following right behind you soon. It is good to hear you are having a positive experience and no fatigue to speak of. I am writing down the lotions the other sisters are suggesting so I can have them ready to go. I hope the rads go quickly for you, with no SE's in sight.
    hugs, pp

luvmykids .. I wanted to wish you the very best during
    this phase of your journey. I did NOT have radiation, so I have no valuable information, or tricks of the trade to offer you. I will however, keep you close in positive thoughts and prayers.

Gentle hugs ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm sure
    it seems like forever! It will be done before you know it and then you'll wonder what's next. There seems to be a feeling of not knowing what to do after all the treatments are over. Lather well and hopefully you won't get any burns. I didn't even turn pink until the last 4. Got a little itchy and then peeled.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

I can honestly say I HAD NO
    I can honestly say I HAD NO side effects at all..the dr would say do you feel fatique? I'd say what is that exactly? he said if you dont' know you dont'have it..

anyhow...I DID Not burn at all, not even dry skin just a square tan on chest!

I am HIGH energy person so I told the Dr maybe it would level out my energy level to normal!
    hehe

I had the exhaustion and
    I had the exhaustion and what I found was that of all things, exercise helped me with that somewhat. I also used lots and lots of the creams my rads oncologist gave me.

Good luck!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I'm sure
    it seems like forever! It will be done before you know it and then you'll wonder what's next. There seems to be a feeling of not knowing what to do after all the treatments are over. Lather well and hopefully you won't get any burns. I didn't even turn pink until the last 4. Got a little itchy and then peeled.
    {{hugs}} Char

How are you doing now? Keep
    How are you doing now? Keep us posted!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    DebbyM said:

How are you doing now? Keep
    How are you doing now? Keep us posted!

Aquafor cream & pure aloe
    that is what my doctor suggested~ I had no trouble with my skin, and used this faithfully. I also felt some fatigue about 2-3 weeks in, and took to taking regular naps daily. My family was very supportive of this, as the naps went on for some time, as my body needed it. You have quite a drive to your treatment, that may also be wearing on you~
    Keep us posted on how you are doing/feeling.
    ~Melanie
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    they will fly by
    you will be amazed at how quickly the time goes..I had 39 rads, and it wasn't until the last week that I was getting a bit of a burn..there is this wonderful cream called Bliss for when that happens..in the meantime if you can start putting on cream now, before you burn, I used Miaderm everyday, I took a tube with me and put it on right after radiation, it absorps quickly~not greasy....myself I just took a nap when I got home, I had the 50 minute drive too. so not sure what tired me out the most...be careful as time goes on that you are not sleepy driving home..keep us posted....Sinee
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    sinee said:

they will fly by
    you will be amazed at how quickly the time goes..I had 39 rads, and it wasn't until the last week that I was getting a bit of a burn..there is this wonderful cream called Bliss for when that happens..in the meantime if you can start putting on cream now, before you burn, I used Miaderm everyday, I took a tube with me and put it on right after radiation, it absorps quickly~not greasy....myself I just took a nap when I got home, I had the 50 minute drive too. so not sure what tired me out the most...be careful as time goes on that you are not sleepy driving home..keep us posted....Sinee

Time does fly
    I had 33 treatments and it went by really quickly. I really didn't burn much at all. I used Aveeno body wash and Aveeno daily moisturizing Lotion. Never needed the Aquaphor. I had very little fatigue and only minor pealing when I was done. Eveyone is different, but using the lotions and creams is the best advise we can all give.

You'll get through this fine!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did backwards calender on
    I did backwards calender on my work desk! A countdown from total days of treatment! As I crossed out each day IT made my day since ONE less...

Hope all is going well

Denise