I hope you felt the power...you were with me in a very special place on Saturday...

chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
I dare say CypressCynthia will forgive me for copying and pasting part of my response to a question she asked me. ( won't you, CC?) With all of the Pink Bus rides,Kindreds walking, tests, news both good and bad, new ones, and long-timers~ I just wanted to share what was a beautiful, spiritual experience. And I hope all of you are encouraged~ we fight and we are STRONG!!!! Love you all, Kindreds!

Something so incredible happened on Saturday!!! I think you recall that once a year I go with Reggie as he makes his annual Tribal ocean voyage with his fellow traditional paddlers. I always camp starting Thursday, and on Saturday afternoon Reggie and the paddlers arrive on their ancestral home island. There are usually about 200 of us waiting~ we have such a wonderful reunion, and it is a powerful, emotional, spiritual ceremony.
This year, for the FIRST time in over 150 years, two tomols ( Chumash word for plank canoe)
made the journey together!
They leave the harbor at 3AM and paddle through the dark waters, and Reggie says this is the most spiritual part of the entire 10 hour journey through the ocean. This year was the first year I did NOT camp~ and it broke my heart not to be able to. But, my lungs in particular, and my health in general just wouldn't allow it. There is however, a park services day boat which goes to the Island, and Siobhan and I booked seats for the day of the crossing. The morning started out beautifully~ I had a hotel room close to the harbor and Reggie and the other captains paddled up the channel to my balcony so I could see them depart for the open waters which was in the opposite direction. Native American singers were at the waterfront singing beautiful songs...I could hear them from my vantage point.
We caught up with the paddlers when they were 6 hours into the paddle...the park services boat left at 9AM and we came up to them at 9:30...the canoes are 24 and 31 feet respectively, with 12 foot paddles. The held the paddles in the air as an honor salute to us ...and we sang to them from the front of the boat! I was so proud of my Reggie! We arrived on the island at 10~ and the canoes got there about 12:30.
The walk from the dock to the campgrounds is almost 1/2 mile one way~ and that's where my friends were...so I had to walk to find them. OMG~ being as most know I am not so healthy, and especially as I wasn't there on Thursday, it was assumed I wsn't able to make it this year. Evidently, people were really saddened by that assumption. When I walked into the campground with Siobhan~ you would have thought I was a rock star! People started crying and holding me and touching me and crying some more! It was incredible!! Some have been keeping up with me on Facebook and LOVE the Kindred Spirits and the online relationship we have!!! One of the women went so far as to say that I am a blessing to the world~ Ok, that was a bit over the top, but wow! I had the best day re-connecting with my friends!
When Reggie and the paddlers came ashore, we all entered the fire/prayer circle. We were all blessed with the smoke of sage, and then the 5 tomol captains addressed us all~ and OMG~ Reggie, after saying what an honor it was to pull water with these amazing paddlers, started crying and said he was there to honor his wife because he loves her! Again...WHAT????
Ok, as awesome as all of that was ( and it was, believe me!!!) for me the BEST part of the day was that I walked back and forth so many times that I know that I walked OVER 4 miles yesterday! Lungs and all!!!!! It was as if I was embued with the love an energy of my friends on the island...before we left for home, I took tobacco which is always there as part of the blessings, said a prayer of thanksgiving and special well-wishes for all of the Kindred Spirits, tossed the tobacco into the fire, and made my way to the boat.

We made it a day trip only~we got home at 7PM...and the grandbaby came to spend the night at 7:30!!! When we pack things into a day, we don't mess around! LOL

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so proud of you for
    I am so proud of you for going, for walking, for living and for being strong for us all. As I said before, you ARE a blessing to the world! And I am glad you posted it again as I get to read it again--which I am glad to do because I have a sore butt right now (and you know what I mean)!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Wow!
    How very awe inspiring....how spiritual, calming and loving this sounds.....you are special Claudia, to your much beloved Reggie, Siobhan, grand baby
    And to all who love you.....not to mention we, your pink, kindred spirits....celebrate that love, it's a blessing! We are blessed, in spite of this disease!

So glad you had such a special time...
    Hugs,
    Nancy
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Oh my goodness!
    Sounds like an awesome experience. Glad you were able to walk and visit with your friends.
    AND still have the energy to have a grandbaby overnight!

Thank you for the special prayer, and your eloquent words describing your wonderful experience,

Jennifer
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    grams2jc said:

Oh my goodness!
    Sounds like an awesome experience. Glad you were able to walk and visit with your friends.
    AND still have the energy to have a grandbaby overnight!

Thank you for the special prayer, and your eloquent words describing your wonderful experience,

Jennifer

That is goose bumps
    That is goose bumps material!!!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    SueRelays said:

That is goose bumps
    That is goose bumps material!!!

Oh, Claudia, I have tears streaming down my cheeks
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful day with us. What a special ritual--and very special husband. Your amazing description allowed my mind to visualize, at least in part, what a very special day this was for you. So proud of you for being able to do all that walking and take part in that special day. There are blessings in this journey for all of us.

Warm hugs, Renee
  • chenheart
    missrenee said:

Oh, Claudia, I have tears streaming down my cheeks
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful day with us. What a special ritual--and very special husband. Your amazing description allowed my mind to visualize, at least in part, what a very special day this was for you. So proud of you for being able to do all that walking and take part in that special day. There are blessings in this journey for all of us.

Warm hugs, Renee

There are indeed blessings
    There are indeed blessings for all of us~ I never forget any of you, and my day certainly would not have been complete had I not sent ceremonial tobacco into the fire for all of us.

Comical side-note~ with me being a "blessing to the world" ( still a bit embarrassed by that one! LOL) Reggie is having fun teasing me~ he says he doesn't know if he should call me the Dalai Lama or Gandhi!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

There are indeed blessings for all of us~ I never forget any of you, and my day certainly would not have been complete had I not sent ceremonial tobacco into the fire for all of us.

Comical side-note~ with me being a "blessing to the world" ( still a bit embarrassed by that one! LOL) Reggie is having fun teasing me~ he says he doesn't know if he should call me the Dalai Lama or Gandhi!

So spiritial, so inspiring --- Thank you again, for sharing
    this very important and private ritual with us. 4 miles -- so proud of you ..- Blessings and healing come in many forms -- this week-end, in your honor -- with sage.

Rest easy ... My dear Hummingbird.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    VickiSam said:

So spiritial, so inspiring --- Thank you again, for sharing
    this very important and private ritual with us. 4 miles -- so proud of you ..- Blessings and healing come in many forms -- this week-end, in your honor -- with sage.

Rest easy ... My dear Hummingbird.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Wow!
    Wow...what an awesome day for you! I had to grab the tissues, tears of joy~ I felt like I right there with you. Thank you so much for sharing.

Oh yeah, congrats on the 4 miles!

Hugs,
    Debi
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    chenheart said:

Claudia - you are an
    Claudia - you are an inspiration to me. Thank you
    for sharing your awesome day with us. I had mental
    images as you outlined your day and they were so
    peaceful and calming. I feel like there was such a
    serenity there among all your friends. I am so proud
    you were energized to be able to do all that walking.
    Reggie sounds like one heck of a guy. Your blessing
    blessed us also!

Luv, Teresa
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    gami43 said:

Claudia - you are an
    Claudia - you are an inspiration to me. Thank you
    for sharing your awesome day with us. I had mental
    images as you outlined your day and they were so
    peaceful and calming. I feel like there was such a
    serenity there among all your friends. I am so proud
    you were energized to be able to do all that walking.
    Reggie sounds like one heck of a guy. Your blessing
    blessed us also!

Luv, Teresa

What can I say??
    Amazing~Inspiring~Courageous~Spiritual~Moving....Wow!
    Love you Chen~girl♥♥♥
    ~Melanie
  • chenheart

What can I say??
    Amazing~Inspiring~Courageous~Spiritual~Moving....Wow!
    Love you Chen~girl♥♥♥
    ~Melanie

I love you too, Melanie~ I
    I love you too, Melanie~ I HATE being on these boards, I hate that any of us are~ and yet...we sure have connected in meaningful life-sustaining ways, haven't we????
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Am overjoyed!!!
    Because you were - indeed! - able to participate in this beautifully meaningful experience with your beloved Reggie, Siobhan, and great friends!!! And am truly cheered that your symptoms/side effects didn't interfere!

You ARE a blessing, dearest Claudia - to all who know & love you.

XO, 12/25
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Am overjoyed!!!
    Because you were - indeed! - able to participate in this beautifully meaningful experience with your beloved Reggie, Siobhan, and great friends!!! And am truly cheered that your symptoms/side effects didn't interfere!

You ARE a blessing, dearest Claudia - to all who know & love you.

XO, 12/25

Dear Claudia, Thank you for
    Dear Claudia,
    Thank you for your wonderful story. I am glad that you are physically stronger, full day on your feet and 4 miles walk sounds as a great work out. I am also glad that you have been gentle to yourself, taking a good care of you. I am voting for Dalai Lama name, if it sounds like universe, then Dalai Lama of Kindred Spirits
    Hugs
    New Flower
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

Dear Claudia, Thank you for
    Dear Claudia,
    Thank you for your wonderful story. I am glad that you are physically stronger, full day on your feet and 4 miles walk sounds as a great work out. I am also glad that you have been gentle to yourself, taking a good care of you. I am voting for Dalai Lama name, if it sounds like universe, then Dalai Lama of Kindred Spirits
    Hugs
    New Flower

Claudia,
    You always inspire

Claudia,
    You always inspire me and never more so than right now. You are indeed a most special lady.
    Stef
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Chen
    You are right this is an amazing day, as are you and your Reggie! Remember that when people show this much love, it is because you have shown them love also. Glad that you were able to participate.

Always and inspiration!

~Carol
  • chenheart
    camul said:

Chen
    You are right this is an amazing day, as are you and your Reggie! Remember that when people show this much love, it is because you have shown them love also. Glad that you were able to participate.

Always and inspiration!

~Carol

Thanks everyone for your
    Thanks everyone for your kind words~ it was indeed a spiritual and historic day! When Siobhan brings my camera today I will post some of the pix on my Expressions page~ you can see the canoes, my Reggie AND my Siobhan!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    chenheart said:

Thanks everyone for your
    Thanks everyone for your kind words~ it was indeed a spiritual and historic day! When Siobhan brings my camera today I will post some of the pix on my Expressions page~ you can see the canoes, my Reggie AND my Siobhan!

WOW!
    Glad you were able to get there. What a reaction. Thanks for sharing! How impressive.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Claudia
    I hope you know how much we all care about you. This yearly event is so inspiring and I'm glad you were once again able to go. Blessings to you and Reggie.
    {{hugs}} Char