new patient

2»

Comments

• ldpettit
    ldpettit Member Posts: 128
    Mastectomy
    I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Welcome to the group and I hope you find information here to be helpful. Note that each of us have had different paths of treatment so one experience may differ from another.

I was diagnosed in January 2011 with HER2 NEU+ to the RT breast. I opted for a double mastectomy instead of a single. I never wanted to think about the other breast, so went for both. I have no regrets with that decision. I did have reconstruction surgery at the same time and currently have "spacers" in where the implants will go down the road. The pain with spacers is that there is metal in them. So it limits what tests you can have done. It also makes it hard for any MUGA scans on the heart. So, if I had to do it over with the reconstruction, I may have opted NOT to. However, all in all it's been ok.

DO be sure you have a shirt that buttons in the front for going home after surgery as noted already by another member. Know that if you are in pain after surgery and the meds aren't cutting it , speak up to your nurse, doctor, etc... they CAN make a change to help your pain. Also. you will have drains... keep them clean as well as your hands BEFORE you clean or drain them. They are more annoying than anything else. They won't be on your for too long after surgery, but it's very important you keep them clean. Your doctor should instruct you on how to do that before leaving the hospital.

You will be in some pain/discomfort for a bit and your range of motion with your arm(s) may be limited. Be sure you do the exercises you are given.

I'm not sure what else I can help with, but am here if you think of any other questions. Best of luck and please update us when you have time.

Lisa P
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Welcome
    but so sad to meet you here. I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. Had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan and 28 rads. Doing good right now. Seeing onc this week for my 3 month follow up.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    grams2jc said:

that's me!
    Ok, I had left mastectomy last November, followed by 4 epirubicin/cytoxan and 4 Taxol treatments then 33 radiation treatments, finished July 8, 2011. Now on Tamoxifen.

Remember to take a shirt that closes in the front to the hospital for coming home and also for at home wear until drains come out. It was winter so I stuck my drains in the inside pocket of athletic jackets because I had no idea there were actually camisoles made with drain pockets. If you have a certified mastectomy bra fitter in your area they possibly carry the cami. Also, after the advocate gave me the cami I realized I liked my way better.

I had no issues with pain or movement, did not need physical therapy, but did get instruction regarding lymphedema since I had axillary nodes involved.

We made a chart to track my drain output in order to be done with that faster, but that was really all of the after care other than running to and from the surgeon, etc. And of course I couldn't take a "whole" shower so the handheld shower head was really nice. A small pillow to put under the seatbelt of the car on your chest is also a really good thing.

Please private message me if you would like and I will be happy to share my limited knowledge.

Jennifer

Wishing you the best of luck
    Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery this week!

Hugs, Leeza
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    grams2jc said:

that's me!
    Ok, I had left mastectomy last November, followed by 4 epirubicin/cytoxan and 4 Taxol treatments then 33 radiation treatments, finished July 8, 2011. Now on Tamoxifen.

Remember to take a shirt that closes in the front to the hospital for coming home and also for at home wear until drains come out. It was winter so I stuck my drains in the inside pocket of athletic jackets because I had no idea there were actually camisoles made with drain pockets. If you have a certified mastectomy bra fitter in your area they possibly carry the cami. Also, after the advocate gave me the cami I realized I liked my way better.

I had no issues with pain or movement, did not need physical therapy, but did get instruction regarding lymphedema since I had axillary nodes involved.

We made a chart to track my drain output in order to be done with that faster, but that was really all of the after care other than running to and from the surgeon, etc. And of course I couldn't take a "whole" shower so the handheld shower head was really nice. A small pillow to put under the seatbelt of the car on your chest is also a really good thing.

Please private message me if you would like and I will be happy to share my limited knowledge.

Jennifer

double post

double post
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    cahjah75 said:

Welcome
    but so sad to meet you here. I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. Had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan and 28 rads. Doing good right now. Seeing onc this week for my 3 month follow up.
    {{hugs}} Char

welcome
    Welcome, catowner. I had lumpectomy, followed by rads, so I can't add any information.
    But I do wish you the best with your surgery. We will be here for you...(((Hugs))) & prayers sent your way.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Tux said:

welcome
    Welcome, catowner. I had lumpectomy, followed by rads, so I can't add any information.
    But I do wish you the best with your surgery. We will be here for you...(((Hugs))) & prayers sent your way.

Wishing you all the best
    Wishing you all the best with your surgery. I had a lumpectomy so I won't be much help.
    There are lots of great gals here who can .
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

welcome...sorry you had to
    welcome...sorry you had to look CSN up...but great place...I dont' think any real right or wrong way to start. When I posted at first I TOO was unsure..I THINK few thought i was someone else..for awhile

anyhow I had lumpectomy 3 1/2 yrs ago...radiation for 8 wks. I will be thinking of you on the 14th!

Denise

this is great place to VENT

I'm wishing you good luck
    I'm wishing you good luck with your surgery and a fast recovery.

Hugs, Jan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

welcome...sorry you had to
    welcome...sorry you had to look CSN up...but great place...I dont' think any real right or wrong way to start. When I posted at first I TOO was unsure..I THINK few thought i was someone else..for awhile

anyhow I had lumpectomy 3 1/2 yrs ago...radiation for 8 wks. I will be thinking of you on the 14th!

Denise

this is great place to VENT

I'm wishing you good luck
    I'm wishing you good luck with your surgery and a fast recovery.

Hugs, Jan
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

Wishing you all the best
    Wishing you all the best with your surgery. I had a lumpectomy so I won't be much help.
    There are lots of great gals here who can .
    Hugs,
    Wanda

Wishing you the best in your
    Wishing you the best in your upcoming surgery. I chose a bi-lateral skin sparring mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. The operation went a lot smoother then I was anticipating. I guess the "unknown" breeds all kinds of worries and questions. I am sure you will do fine...

Best of luck and please post and let us know how you are doing...
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Welcome
    Sorry you had to join us but glad that you found us. One of the most helpful things I did was to view the vidios about breast cancer on the other half of this site under cancer information once you get into the breast cancer section. It helped me sort out some of the facts that were running around willy nilly in my head.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Welcome
    {{hugs}} Char

Nice to meet you catowner,
    Nice to meet you catowner, though sorry for the reason. I didn't have a mastectomy, had a lumpectomy and rads.

The pinkies have already given you lots of great advice as they always do.

I am wishing you the best of luck and I will be praying for you too.

Sue :)