Tamoxifen

Hi everyone. I had a simple Mastectomy (both breasts) on Aug 19. All margins clear and
all lymp Nodes clear. (it was estrogen fed.) I'm not doing chemo only radiation.
I had a hysterectomy in 98. I'm on the cluf on tamoxifen. I'm very sensitive to all
med. Only take IBP when i have pain. What are the side effects to tamoxifen if I decided
to take it? Any Adivice to share?

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had very little side
    I had very little side effects for the first 3 yrs...then I had thickening of uterus. (night sweats) About Jan I started bleeding post meno...so had a hysterectomy in may...all good now...

I wish you the best

Denise
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hey Nancy, there are no easy
    Hey Nancy, there are no easy answers and you and your physician will have to figure this out. I'm on "old timer" who was diagnosed with Stage 3A (large tumor, 4 nodes) back in 1987. I took tamoxifen for 7 years (back then we didn't know how long to take it). With tamoxifen, I had a 22 year remission which was amazing!

Side effects for me were tolerable. I was a little tired and that got worse at the very end of therapy. I was young (33) when I was diagnosed and tamoxifen and chemo did a number on my libido. Also, over time, I gained a little weight (about 10-15 lbs). I lost the weight when I stopped the drug. I also had some hot flashes on the drug.

The big, bad side effects can be uterine cancer, blood clots and clots. Luckily, I had none of those.

For me, it was all worth it, because here I am still fighting! Most of my side effects were pretty minor--especially after chemo! Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

I had very little side
    I had very little side effects for the first 3 yrs...then I had thickening of uterus. (night sweats) About Jan I started bleeding post meno...so had a hysterectomy in may...all good now...

I wish you the best

Denise

The 2 things
    The 2 things I have are thinning hair(but was thin before) and now having some pain in my legs.I have bad varicose veins for years. .Went to the doctor Friday for my legs.He wants to do Laser surgery and then some schletherapy(sp).That is where they put saline in the vein and it vanishes after a while.You have to wear support hose.Not happy about these procedures(did them a short time before)Now I must do it again.Hurts to walk.I told my oncologist about my vein problems before I was put on tamoxifin but she didnt think it was a worry.

I am thankful I had a total hysterectomy.Don't need to worry about uterine cancer or other problems that can develop with the tamoxifin.

I had no chemo or radation but just take tamoxfin.

LynnS
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    For Nancy,
    I was on Tamoxifen 4 years before I progressed. I had mild hot flashes and weight gain. I lost the weight after stopping Tamo. I did have a thickening lining of the uterus which eventually resulted in a D&C.

Each woman reacts differently to a drug, you won't know until you try it.

Best wishes to you,

Doris
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hello Nancy and Welcome :)
    I'm triple negative so no tamoxifen here, but I wanted to say hello and welcome to the boards. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more soon, that tamoxifen word floats around here often :) There's a wonderful group of kind, caring, inspiring, and experienced fighters/survivors & loved ones of those dx with BC on this board that will give you the strength, courage, and hope that keeps us putting one foot in front of the other. All my best to you and keep coming back :)
    ~Kari
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Hey Nancy, there are no easy
    Hey Nancy, there are no easy answers and you and your physician will have to figure this out. I'm on "old timer" who was diagnosed with Stage 3A (large tumor, 4 nodes) back in 1987. I took tamoxifen for 7 years (back then we didn't know how long to take it). With tamoxifen, I had a 22 year remission which was amazing!

Side effects for me were tolerable. I was a little tired and that got worse at the very end of therapy. I was young (33) when I was diagnosed and tamoxifen and chemo did a number on my libido. Also, over time, I gained a little weight (about 10-15 lbs). I lost the weight when I stopped the drug. I also had some hot flashes on the drug.

The big, bad side effects can be uterine cancer, blood clots and clots. Luckily, I had none of those.

For me, it was all worth it, because here I am still fighting! Most of my side effects were pretty minor--especially after chemo! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Wishing you good luck Nancy
    Wishing you good luck Nancy in whatever you decide to do about tamox.

Hugs, Angie
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544

Hello Nancy and Welcome :)
    I'm triple negative so no tamoxifen here, but I wanted to say hello and welcome to the boards. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more soon, that tamoxifen word floats around here often :) There's a wonderful group of kind, caring, inspiring, and experienced fighters/survivors & loved ones of those dx with BC on this board that will give you the strength, courage, and hope that keeps us putting one foot in front of the other. All my best to you and keep coming back :)
    ~Kari

tamoxifen
    I have been on tamoxifen for 2 years--some side effects--leg cramps & hot flashes.
    But for me the positives outweigh the negatives. Good luck - no matter what you decide.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    SIROD said:

For Nancy,
    I was on Tamoxifen 4 years before I progressed. I had mild hot flashes and weight gain. I lost the weight after stopping Tamo. I did have a thickening lining of the uterus which eventually resulted in a D&C.

Each woman reacts differently to a drug, you won't know until you try it.

Best wishes to you,

Doris

Congrats on clear margins
    Congrats on clear margins and nodes! I think everyone probably reacts somewhat differently on tamox. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Lex