Severe sore throat. white spot on epiglottis

I have a severe sore throat. Cant swollow let alone drink. Will go to urgent care tomorrow. Is there anything I can do over night to stop the pain? Is it ok to use the lysterine throat spray or throat lozages? I have taken some tylenol even though I am not suppose to. It is 10 pm and ER is not going to happen. Long story!

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Sore Throat Remedies
    Have you tried Chloraseptic spray? That often seems to help temporarily. I do not know of any reason that you should avoid Lysterine or throat lozenges but the lozenges aren't likely to do much good in my opinion. Are you sure you can't manage some hot tea/water with honey and lemon?

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

IRENE
  • atiredparent
    atiredparent Member Posts: 45

Sore Throat Remedies
    Have you tried Chloraseptic spray? That often seems to help temporarily. I do not know of any reason that you should avoid Lysterine or throat lozenges but the lozenges aren't likely to do much good in my opinion. Are you sure you can't manage some hot tea/water with honey and lemon?

IRENE

I will try chloraseptic spray
    I tried gargling with salt water.

I can't swollow at all. It is too painful. I am eating popsicles and crunching ice.

Thanks for response.
  • Tkitty
    Tkitty Member Posts: 56

I will try chloraseptic spray
    I tried gargling with salt water.

I can't swollow at all. It is too painful. I am eating popsicles and crunching ice.

Thanks for response.

Sore throat
    I drink hot tea w/sugar or honey. Just sip it.
    Had tonsillitis a lot when I was younger. That seemed to help the most.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Tkitty said:

Sore throat
    I drink hot tea w/sugar or honey. Just sip it.
    Had tonsillitis a lot when I was younger. That seemed to help the most.

Hope by now you've gotten some relief
    I always use Riccola drops and the herbals really seem to help more than some of the "medicine" stuff.

Let us know how you're doing!
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    1tsp. salt 1tsp. baking soda in 2 cups warm water
    I'm hoping you have gotten some relief by now. If not, this remedy works well for mouth sores, and sore throats. Swish for mouth sores, and gargle for sore throat. Hope you get relief soon. Welcome to the boards :)
    ~Kari
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877

1tsp. salt 1tsp. baking soda in 2 cups warm water
    I'm hoping you have gotten some relief by now. If not, this remedy works well for mouth sores, and sore throats. Swish for mouth sores, and gargle for sore throat. Hope you get relief soon. Welcome to the boards :)
    ~Kari

Magic Mouth Wash
    And there's magic mouth wash, that's amazing for mouth sores, it's a prescription. I'm sure you can gargle with it as well, it has a great numbing agent in it.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Magic Mouth Wash
    And there's magic mouth wash, that's amazing for mouth sores, it's a prescription. I'm sure you can gargle with it as well, it has a great numbing agent in it.

it could be a virus or
    it could be a virus or strep. I think listerine would be irritating. perhaps you can take some tylenol or advil. another cause of sore throat during chemo is thrush. Is your tongue white? or sore?
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Sore Throat Remedies

IRENE

Chloraseptic spray is what I
    Chloraseptic spray is what I use for a sore throat. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, Angie
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had a severe sore throat
    I had a severe sore throat like that once in my life back in about 1988. Urgent care said it was influenza (strep test was negative), but an infectious disease MD friend later told me it may have been mono as one of the symptoms of mono can be very severe sore throat.

By severe, I mean unable to swallow your own spit. I had a towel under my chin because it was so painful to swallow. My dad (a physician) ended up prescribing liquid codeine and I would take that and wait about 20 minutes and then drink what I could. That sounds crazy but that is how painful my throat was. I also felt horrible-like I had been hit by a train and had a high fever.

If you really can't swallow fluids, are running a fever, your urine is concentrated--dark and not clear, yellow (especially with our compromised immune systems), you may well need to be admitted for fluids and, possibly, antibiotics.

I see you posted yesterday, so you should have been seen today? Also, do be sure to let your oncologist know this is going on. Please let me know how you are doing!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Magic Mouth Wash

I forgot about magic mouth
    I forgot about magic mouth wash, and, you are right Kari, that might work.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I had a severe sore throat
    I had a severe sore throat like that once in my life back in about 1988. Urgent care said it was influenza (strep test was negative), but an infectious disease MD friend later told me it may have been mono as one of the symptoms of mono can be very severe sore throat.

By severe, I mean unable to swallow your own spit. I had a towel under my chin because it was so painful to swallow. My dad (a physician) ended up prescribing liquid codeine and I would take that and wait about 20 minutes and then drink what I could. That sounds crazy but that is how painful my throat was. I also felt horrible-like I had been hit by a train and had a high fever.

If you really can't swallow fluids, are running a fever, your urine is concentrated--dark and not clear, yellow (especially with our compromised immune systems), you may well need to be admitted for fluids and, possibly, antibiotics.

I see you posted yesterday, so you should have been seen today? Also, do be sure to let your oncologist know this is going on. Please let me know how you are doing!

Did you see your oncologist?
    Did you see your oncologist? What did he say? Hoping he can help you.

Hugs, Lex