Should I stop chemo?

2»

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Hoping your next treatment
    Hoping your next treatment is easier on you. Seems like you are doing almost evrything that has been suggested. I had 8 1/2 rounds of chemo and finally found the combo of anti nausea meds that worked. Emend comined with Kytril did it for me. I took zofran and compazine which did nothing for me. I brushed and rinsed with biotene. Took claritin for neulasta pain, and took milk of magnesia along with stool softeners for the constiption. I also took an antidepressant. I agree talk as loud as you can to your Onc and get whatever and all that you need to get you thru the chemo.

Our bodies are all so different and have different reactions, but whatever they are, your medical team shuld always be there to help you get thru this. Chemo is not easy but we are all proof that it can be done. I called my onco nurse if I had any issues and she always got back to me immediately with some sort of solution. I also found all the gals on these boards to be most understandng and helpful. At one point, my onc gave me a month off to regain strength and improve blood counts. Wishing you the very best with your decisions and treament. (((HUGS)))
  • Solange49
    Solange49 Member Posts: 10
    Corinna
    Hi Corinna, I'm so sorry you are going through such horrible side effects. I'm going through chemo as well. I began with four cytoxin every other week..and was given the option of 12 weekly Taxol or 4 of the dose dense every other week. I decided on the heavier dose to get it over with quicker. It hasn't been easy. I have one chemo left! I had shortness of breath and chest pains as well with Cytoxin. It was very scary. I haven't had that particular side effect on Taxol but I ran fever for several days after the first 2 doses. I was given Emend in my chemo "cocktail" before the bag of cytoxin. Then zofran and phenegran. I truly think the Emend was the only thing that kept me from vomiting. That might be good for you to try. I hope so much that you have an easier time with your next treatments. After it's all over with you can look back and say you did everything in your power you could possibly do to beat this. :) One of my fav books that has been so inspiring for me is " There's No Place Like Hope" by Vickie Gerard. If you haven't read it yet...I highly recommend it. It's gotten me through some rough patches. :) I have kids as well. I still have a ways to go in my treatment. My mastectomy, then 6 1/2 weeks of rad. My boyfriend tells me he's going to take me somewhere "tropical" after all this is over with. I think about that and it makes me smile. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you,

Hugs,

Diana
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Solange49 said:

Corinna
    Hi Corinna, I'm so sorry you are going through such horrible side effects. I'm going through chemo as well. I began with four cytoxin every other week..and was given the option of 12 weekly Taxol or 4 of the dose dense every other week. I decided on the heavier dose to get it over with quicker. It hasn't been easy. I have one chemo left! I had shortness of breath and chest pains as well with Cytoxin. It was very scary. I haven't had that particular side effect on Taxol but I ran fever for several days after the first 2 doses. I was given Emend in my chemo "cocktail" before the bag of cytoxin. Then zofran and phenegran. I truly think the Emend was the only thing that kept me from vomiting. That might be good for you to try. I hope so much that you have an easier time with your next treatments. After it's all over with you can look back and say you did everything in your power you could possibly do to beat this. :) One of my fav books that has been so inspiring for me is " There's No Place Like Hope" by Vickie Gerard. If you haven't read it yet...I highly recommend it. It's gotten me through some rough patches. :) I have kids as well. I still have a ways to go in my treatment. My mastectomy, then 6 1/2 weeks of rad. My boyfriend tells me he's going to take me somewhere "tropical" after all this is over with. I think about that and it makes me smile. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you,

Hugs,

Diana

see another side effect they
    see another side effect they say doesnt happen. I had a fever for several days after Taxol for three weeks. They couldnt figure it out, but since I t stopped a day before infusion I was good to go. No matter Iwanted to know why this was happening. Perhaps you could have them slow it down, its worth a shot. There are lots of things they dont know why they happen. I also had a high hreart rate with Taxol. 130 at rest. I also had Emend. Sometimes as Natly says you have to mix it up.
    Please post and let us know how you are, Ihave been there and my heart goes out to you. I just want you to come out the other end at peace with your decision. I know I feel that I have done all I could do and it someohow makes me feel better, I guess because I gave it my best shot. Hugs!!!
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    carkris said:

see another side effect they
    see another side effect they say doesnt happen. I had a fever for several days after Taxol for three weeks. They couldnt figure it out, but since I t stopped a day before infusion I was good to go. No matter Iwanted to know why this was happening. Perhaps you could have them slow it down, its worth a shot. There are lots of things they dont know why they happen. I also had a high hreart rate with Taxol. 130 at rest. I also had Emend. Sometimes as Natly says you have to mix it up.
    Please post and let us know how you are, Ihave been there and my heart goes out to you. I just want you to come out the other end at peace with your decision. I know I feel that I have done all I could do and it someohow makes me feel better, I guess because I gave it my best shot. Hugs!!!

Im going to try all these
    Im going to try all these tricks youve given me. I will have 2 giant Smoothies on the morning of my infusion. I'll ask them to slow the infusion way down (seems like the simplest things to do they squawk about...) give me iv med steroids, Emend etc, more steroids etc. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.
    Of course I'll have oatmeal to eat for the 1st week (sometimes I cant even tolerate that). I also know what you mean about having to force myself to go to. The whole thing just sucks. Its so helpful knowing that you all have been through this and can give me hope and encouragement!! It is an understatement to say that all your comments and prayers are a guiding light to me in the difficult decisions I keep needing to make. You are all AWESOME!! IWe (my kids and I) pray for you all every day. Cory :)
  • channa
    channa Member Posts: 4
    Chemo is hard
    I'm in the 2nd week of my 4th chemo treatment. I get Adriamycin/Cytoxan on day 1, along with 1000 ml saline, Emend, Dex, and Zofran. Then I take Zofran (melt in your mouth variety) for the next 2 days or as needed.

The 2nd day I get the Neulasta shot. Also more antinausea, dex, and 1000 ml saline. I also take Claritin daily

I've had a problem with dehydration, so have been going in for 1000 ml saline via port twice a week - they generally give it with Dex, although yesterday I noticed that they put an anti-nausea med in with it (Emend or Kytril? Think it was Kyrtil)

Last week, when I had my chemo, I had fluids (1000 ml) 4 days in a row. Man was I pumped!

I started out with a large university hospital and had my first chemo there. Bout killed me, and poor afterhours support. I said I can't go on like this. I decided I needed a smaller more personal clinic, so asked around and switched. I am SO GLAD - was a great decision, great and caring oncologist, and after hours phone numbers I can call for help. He was recommended thru someone I knew of, thru my acupuncturist, who I go to regularly and that helps with side effects.

I still stay in bed a lot, in particular the first 9-10 days. And get night sweats and am exhausted. However, since changing clinics, and getting fluids via port, chemo is much better - but believe me it still sucks.

Good luck, and hugs to you -
  • Corinna11
    channa said:

Chemo is hard
    I'm in the 2nd week of my 4th chemo treatment. I get Adriamycin/Cytoxan on day 1, along with 1000 ml saline, Emend, Dex, and Zofran. Then I take Zofran (melt in your mouth variety) for the next 2 days or as needed.

The 2nd day I get the Neulasta shot. Also more antinausea, dex, and 1000 ml saline. I also take Claritin daily

I've had a problem with dehydration, so have been going in for 1000 ml saline via port twice a week - they generally give it with Dex, although yesterday I noticed that they put an anti-nausea med in with it (Emend or Kytril? Think it was Kyrtil)

Last week, when I had my chemo, I had fluids (1000 ml) 4 days in a row. Man was I pumped!

I started out with a large university hospital and had my first chemo there. Bout killed me, and poor afterhours support. I said I can't go on like this. I decided I needed a smaller more personal clinic, so asked around and switched. I am SO GLAD - was a great decision, great and caring oncologist, and after hours phone numbers I can call for help. He was recommended thru someone I knew of, thru my acupuncturist, who I go to regularly and that helps with side effects.

I still stay in bed a lot, in particular the first 9-10 days. And get night sweats and am exhausted. However, since changing clinics, and getting fluids via port, chemo is much better - but believe me it still sucks.

Good luck, and hugs to you -

yes, I think the big
    yes, I think the big university is a problem for me too. Just a number..... Im going to have to keep drinking lots of water, I think I'll add electrolyte water also. There is no way my onc team will add saline to my regime. Its too obvious and low cost and effective.. :(
    I will push for the IV meds. I think that could help. It sure cant hurt!! :)
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Corinna11 said:

yes, I think the big
    yes, I think the big university is a problem for me too. Just a number..... Im going to have to keep drinking lots of water, I think I'll add electrolyte water also. There is no way my onc team will add saline to my regime. Its too obvious and low cost and effective.. :(

Corinna I ate well the day
    Corinna I ate well the day before and usually day after chemo. The 3rd day after chemo I was in bed and lived on apple sauce, crackers, and dry toast. Do whatever works to get you thru it.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Corinna11 said:

yes, I think the big

rate of infusion
    in addition to all other suggestion and of course IV pre-meds the rate of infusion was very critical to me.They usually do first slowly , and 2 nd fast. I requested to give me drugs slowly and did help me to tolerate 6 cycles.

I have had 6 having nodes involvement at young age as you that put you in high risk group.
    Wishing you easy time and successful treatment
    New Flower
  • Corinna11

rate of infusion
    in addition to all other suggestion and of course IV pre-meds the rate of infusion was very critical to me.They usually do first slowly , and 2 nd fast. I requested to give me drugs slowly and did help me to tolerate 6 cycles.

I have had 6 having nodes involvement at young age as you that put you in high risk group.
    Wishing you easy time and successful treatment
    New Flower

Thanks, I will push the
    Thanks, I will push the slower rate of infusion. The whole assembly line oncology thing has been a real problem for me. Thanks for empowering me to stand up for myself! You think I could do this already being an RN, but the resistance I met was so shocking throughout my treatment, I really needed you ladies to push me in the right direction. "They" dont care if I stop treatment. "They" are not the ones with cancer and have not gone through chemo etc. I have advocated for my patients for so long I forgot how to advocate for my self. Thank you all for this gift! I'm 46 today and I thank Jehovah God I'm alive and have such wonderful friends I have never met!! :D:D:D

PS: Just as an FYI: In my picture I'm the one with the white top and my awesome mom is sitting next to me with the wine :). She had her 2nd year cancerversary from stg 3 ovarian cancer in 2009!!
  • barbevret
    barbevret Member Posts: 1
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks, I will push the
    Thanks, I will push the slower rate of infusion. The whole assembly line oncology thing has been a real problem for me. Thanks for empowering me to stand up for myself! You think I could do this already being an RN, but the resistance I met was so shocking throughout my treatment, I really needed you ladies to push me in the right direction. "They" dont care if I stop treatment. "They" are not the ones with cancer and have not gone through chemo etc. I have advocated for my patients for so long I forgot how to advocate for my self. Thank you all for this gift! I'm 46 today and I thank Jehovah God I'm alive and have such wonderful friends I have never met!! :D:D:D

PS: Just as an FYI: In my picture I'm the one with the white top and my awesome mom is sitting next to me with the wine :). She had her 2nd year cancerversary from stg 3 ovarian cancer in 2009!!

quitting
    I know how you feel. I finished my four treatments in June. I went to MD Anderson breast center and I did not want chemo. I was more upset about it than cancer. I had to ask for an anti anxiety drug just to get up the nerve to take it. I dont take any kind of drugs. My only drug was clairiton D for allergies. The only time I took the antivan was the day of chemo. I too had the pain, sores ect. They did slow the chemo down to give to me. I was given anti nausea to take the day before day of and after. I wanted to quit but I figured I went this far so I continued. I now feel great. My hair is starting to grow, I'm getting eyelashes and eyebrows back. I had breast reconstruction 7 days after bi-lateral. Needless to say that failed and had to have them removed two weeks in succession. This was all during chemo. I am going to have the reconstruction again in January. I made it this far I guess I can certainly try again. Just hang in there it will get better. It is just a small period out of what could be a long life. God Bless. I will have you in my prayers. Barbara
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    barbevret said:

quitting
    I know how you feel. I finished my four treatments in June. I went to MD Anderson breast center and I did not want chemo. I was more upset about it than cancer. I had to ask for an anti anxiety drug just to get up the nerve to take it. I dont take any kind of drugs. My only drug was clairiton D for allergies. The only time I took the antivan was the day of chemo. I too had the pain, sores ect. They did slow the chemo down to give to me. I was given anti nausea to take the day before day of and after. I wanted to quit but I figured I went this far so I continued. I now feel great. My hair is starting to grow, I'm getting eyelashes and eyebrows back. I had breast reconstruction 7 days after bi-lateral. Needless to say that failed and had to have them removed two weeks in succession. This was all during chemo. I am going to have the reconstruction again in January. I made it this far I guess I can certainly try again. Just hang in there it will get better. It is just a small period out of what could be a long life. God Bless. I will have you in my prayers. Barbara

yes I also forgot about the
    yes I also forgot about the Iv fluid, it was all a blur, but if you are tanked up then at least you wont get so behind when you dont feel well,I received a liter a week prob could have used two. as a nurse I felt like I didnt want to be that pain in the **** patient also I have a tendency to minimize (as was pointed out by my husband) where most people would be more abvious in their reactions I was calm. As an ICU nurse you have to call for help without looking alarmed. In retrospect i think that led them to think Iwasnt in as much distress as I was. I have noticed this in my nurse friends too. It wasnt until my doc told me to take 120 meq of potassium by mouth that I figured out he really didnt get it at all. How little I could eat and how taking that much was impossible. Thats when I said "I could tell you I am going to do it, but I'm not" it wasnt possible. Anyway once i took charge things went better. So TELL them to infuse it more slowly if they dont like it TOUGH, they dont have to go home and suffer.They get to go home and eat, and poop, and live their lives pain free. Ask about emend also. I got IV steroids, and I also took emend and oral steroids at home. zofran made me constipated. so watch out for that. You can do this and we are here!!!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks, I will push the

Glad that the pink sisters
    Glad that the pink sisters helped you Corinna! You are beautiful in your pic and so is your Mom!

Hugs!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks, I will push the

Hi! I meant to post
    Hi! I meant to post something for you before but work has been driving me insane!

I say don't quit. I ended up in ER after my first treatment with an infection. And I had another infection I didn't even know while getting chemo. Ugh! Not a good week. There will be good and bad days, but it's important to keep your schedule, if physically possible.

I noticed I had issues when the infusions were going through me fast - and some nurses did push faster than others - so this might actually work for you, to have them slow it down.

Just as an FYI, ths book really helped me a lot while I was going through chemo. If you can get it, that would be great: http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441

It shows you what to do for each side effect of chemo: what to eat, what not to eat, etc..

Very happy your mom recovered and survived ovarian cancer. This one is pretty tough to catch, but glad your mom is a survivor!!

Good luck with the upcoming infusions. I think you'll do better.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    natly15 said:

Hoping your next treatment
    Hoping your next treatment is easier on you. Seems like you are doing almost evrything that has been suggested. I had 8 1/2 rounds of chemo and finally found the combo of anti nausea meds that worked. Emend comined with Kytril did it for me. I took zofran and compazine which did nothing for me. I brushed and rinsed with biotene. Took claritin for neulasta pain, and took milk of magnesia along with stool softeners for the constiption. I also took an antidepressant. I agree talk as loud as you can to your Onc and get whatever and all that you need to get you thru the chemo.

Our bodies are all so different and have different reactions, but whatever they are, your medical team shuld always be there to help you get thru this. Chemo is not easy but we are all proof that it can be done. I called my onco nurse if I had any issues and she always got back to me immediately with some sort of solution. I also found all the gals on these boards to be most understandng and helpful. At one point, my onc gave me a month off to regain strength and improve blood counts. Wishing you the very best with your decisions and treament. (((HUGS)))

I didn't take chemo, so, I
    I didn't take chemo, so, I couldn't add anything to what the pink sisters said inre to helping you. I am just thankful that what they wrote did help you!

Hugs, Debby
  • Corinna11

Hi! I meant to post
    Hi! I meant to post something for you before but work has been driving me insane!

I say don't quit. I ended up in ER after my first treatment with an infection. And I had another infection I didn't even know while getting chemo. Ugh! Not a good week. There will be good and bad days, but it's important to keep your schedule, if physically possible.

I noticed I had issues when the infusions were going through me fast - and some nurses did push faster than others - so this might actually work for you, to have them slow it down.

Just as an FYI, ths book really helped me a lot while I was going through chemo. If you can get it, that would be great: http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441

It shows you what to do for each side effect of chemo: what to eat, what not to eat, etc..

Very happy your mom recovered and survived ovarian cancer. This one is pretty tough to catch, but glad your mom is a survivor!!

Good luck with the upcoming infusions. I think you'll do better.

Thanks! I have to remember
    Thanks! I have to remember to ask them to slow down the infusion. Can anyone who had T/C remember how fast they actually ran it in? I get Tax first and then Cytoxin. Seems I'm there forever but most of that is waiting for them to do something....

I will see if my library has the cancer diet book. Would be nice to give a few of the recipes to some of my friends who want to cook me a dinner. Thanks again!!!! Cory :)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks, I will push the

I am sending lots and lots
    I am sending lots and lots of prayers and hugs to you Corrine!

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    tko683 said:

sorry you are feeling so bad
    I remember feeling the same way about wanting to just stop the chemo so I coul feel better but I just forced myself to do it. I kept thinking of my 3 kids and husband and told myself I would keep going until it was unbearable. I had the Adriamycin and Cytoxan for 4 cycles and the Taxotere alone for 4 months. The I had Herceptin for a year. For me, the first 3 chemos were the worst, and they seemed to get easier after that so maybe that will happen for you also. We will all be praying for you to have the strength to get through your treatment but just know that you are in charge and can stop it if it becomes too much to hande. Hugs,

I know you will make the
    I know you will make the right decision for yourself. Sending hope, hugs and prayers.

Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Corinna11 said:

Thanks! I have to remember
    Thanks! I have to remember to ask them to slow down the infusion. Can anyone who had T/C remember how fast they actually ran it in? I get Tax first and then Cytoxin. Seems I'm there forever but most of that is waiting for them to do something....

I will see if my library has the cancer diet book. Would be nice to give a few of the recipes to some of my friends who want to cook me a dinner. Thanks again!!!! Cory :)

Rate of infusion
    Cory,
    Request the same rate as they did first time.In my case, first time was really slow, because they were monitoring adverse reaction to the drugs (just two drugs more than 3 hours). I was ok. Second time they changed it from 1,5) I had bad reaction. Third time to put me back on initial rate, they did not want and said there is no connection, however argeed to slower. It did help. Every time I have had discussion and insisted on slow infusions. They were wondering that I wanted to be in the clinic for several hours longer than if I got it fast.
    I have had 6 Taxotere/cytoxan treatments