Can I dye my hair??

kookaa
kookaa Member Posts: 27
OOPS ! I put a lighting gel on my hair and it turned it grey!!!!
YUCK! My last chemo was in May and my hair is about 1/2 inch long very thick and healthy. Someone PLEASE say I can dye it. ANYONE????

I feel so old! Thanks.
Tami

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    KooKaa
    I've been out of chemo since January and I had a pet scan in May 2011 and i was cancer free and i asked then could i dye my hair and my oncologist said it was ok. but i haven't yet i was waiting till about 6 months so i actually went yesterday and picked out my color from a professional colorist (salesman) which came in the beauty salon while i was there and he suggested that i get a organic kind that he sold not sure of the name but in a couple weeks i will have COLOR i can't wait i have some gray hair and i don't like it either so pretty soon bye bye gray!!!! MollyZ
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    I had a similar situation happen
    I waited a few months after my final chemo, my hair was really gray and about an inch long. So, I used some natural hair coloring from Whole Foods and the shade was called "chocolate." What I ended up with was red hair the color of Bozo the clown's!!! I didn't dare try to fix it. Eventually, it faded away (after about 6-8 weeks!) and I recolored with Natural Instincts by Clairol in a golden brown shade and it came out fine. I think the chemo does crazy things not only to your body--also to your hair. My hair also came out really curly--it has since relaxed. Good luck, Tami.

Hugs, Renee
  • Minka
    Minka Member Posts: 29
    The short answer is yes...
    Hi! I was a cosmetologist and owned a salon for 20 years prior to college in my mid 40's and now my own breast cancer. When I was doing hair, I could always tell when someone had chemo...it changes the structure, sometimes temporarily, sometimes not. There are several products you can buy at Sally's Beauty Supply that will help. One is called 'Gray Magic'. It comes in a small bottle and you add it drop by drop to the color itself. It will help the color 'take'. There is also an 'after' shampoo called "Curl'n'Lock" which is used after perms to lock them in (neutralize the ph) and it works great for color too. There are several colors that are ammonia free. Get one of those....and.....finally...go two shades lighter than what you think you want. It is ALWAYS easier to go darker, but VERY difficult to lift color. Good luck...you already are gorgeous, but if you want color, go for it! I'm a redhead now. Love it.
    Hugs,
    Minka
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Hair color
    I didn't ask any docs just had my stylist color my 1/2 inch hair 4 weeks after rads and 2 1/2 mnths post chemo. It was not as light as I wanted. It came in really dark! Now 5 weeks after that she lightened for me again. Really blonde this time butthat is ok in about 4 weeks we will do it again. I trust her to do it so I don't have to worry about getting it right!
    Jennifer
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Oops! Sorry double post

Oops! Sorry double post
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    Yes! I felt very old due to
    Yes! I felt very old due to muscle and joint pain from treatments. When I looked in the mirror and saw my grey hair while I felt so old, it was that much worse. So, I died my hair brown and was so happy! It's been months and I am still so glad that I did it.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    pscheer said:

Yes! I felt very old due to
    Yes! I felt very old due to muscle and joint pain from treatments. When I looked in the mirror and saw my grey hair while I felt so old, it was that much worse. So, I died my hair brown and was so happy! It's been months and I am still so glad that I did it.

I didn't ask either. I
    I didn't ask either. I started dying it when it was about 1 1/2 ". I never had any trouble.
    Good luck!
    Wanda
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Tami
    my onc told me I could dye my hair when I saw him in June. It was 6 months post chemo and my hair was very white/grey. It's now brown :D
    Char
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Same here!
    Tami -- I finished chemo last July and my hair it starting to come out. About 50% is gray. I can't wait to dye it too as I feel old, and getting tired of wearing my wig. I want to go topless! :)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    missrenee said:

I had a similar situation happen
    I waited a few months after my final chemo, my hair was really gray and about an inch long. So, I used some natural hair coloring from Whole Foods and the shade was called "chocolate." What I ended up with was red hair the color of Bozo the clown's!!! I didn't dare try to fix it. Eventually, it faded away (after about 6-8 weeks!) and I recolored with Natural Instincts by Clairol in a golden brown shade and it came out fine. I think the chemo does crazy things not only to your body--also to your hair. My hair also came out really curly--it has since relaxed. Good luck, Tami.

Hugs, Renee

I don't know Tami, but, I
    I don't know Tami, but, I hope that you can find some way to get it to the color you want.

Good luck and let us know!
  • kookaa
    kookaa Member Posts: 27
    I did it!
    Thank you all for your advice. I did it myself at home and I love it!!
    It came out an exact match to my eyebrows! I feel 10 years younger and can not wait to actually get a tangle....

Tami
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Minka said:

The short answer is yes...
    Hi! I was a cosmetologist and owned a salon for 20 years prior to college in my mid 40's and now my own breast cancer. When I was doing hair, I could always tell when someone had chemo...it changes the structure, sometimes temporarily, sometimes not. There are several products you can buy at Sally's Beauty Supply that will help. One is called 'Gray Magic'. It comes in a small bottle and you add it drop by drop to the color itself. It will help the color 'take'. There is also an 'after' shampoo called "Curl'n'Lock" which is used after perms to lock them in (neutralize the ph) and it works great for color too. There are several colors that are ammonia free. Get one of those....and.....finally...go two shades lighter than what you think you want. It is ALWAYS easier to go darker, but VERY difficult to lift color. Good luck...you already are gorgeous, but if you want color, go for it! I'm a redhead now. Love it.
    Hugs,
    Minka

I have colored my hair.......
    since it first started growing back in. I use Grey Magic as Minka suggested and it really helps to cover the grey. My hair came back in pure grey and I just looked to old with it that way. I use Clairol Professional color from Sally Beauty Supply; 6 RN for a medium level brown color with a hint of red.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    kookaa said:

I did it!
    Thank you all for your advice. I did it myself at home and I love it!!
    It came out an exact match to my eyebrows! I feel 10 years younger and can not wait to actually get a tangle....

Tami

Congrats on doing it and
    Congrats on doing it and loving it! Happy for you Tami!

Hugs, Lex