not sure what to think, need input please

sinee
sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
It has been 7 weeks since the end of my radiation, I had a lumpectomy...I have been having sharp pain in my breast and it is very spongy and appears to have little holes all over the nipple area and around it..is this a normal reaction after radiation ends? I have an appointment to see my rad onc, for follow up this coming week, Irene postponed me by a week..any help will be appreciated, all I can think of is what if it is inflamatory breast cancer, from the radiation treatment...looks simular to it....help if you can..thanks, Sinee

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Hello
    I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I had pain in my breast for quite a while following my lumpectomy, several months and still have an ocassional pain ( 17 months since surgery) my skin did look strange after rads too. I am not sure about little holes. I think it makes the pores in your skin more noticable. I would think that is what it is,just my opinion. I am glad you have an appt. coming up soon because it is always best to have your Dr. see anything that concerns you. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
    My Onc. told me the pain is due to the nerves healing
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

Hello
    I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I had pain in my breast for quite a while following my lumpectomy, several months and still have an ocassional pain ( 17 months since surgery) my skin did look strange after rads too. I am not sure about little holes. I think it makes the pores in your skin more noticable. I would think that is what it is,just my opinion. I am glad you have an appt. coming up soon because it is always best to have your Dr. see anything that concerns you. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
    My Onc. told me the pain is due to the nerves healing

I don't think you would get ibc
    From radiation....would have printed earlier if th at's what it was. My radiation oncologist told me that there are some slight r Isis with getting cancer post radiation, but it wold be more like when I was 70 (I'm 44). I told her let's keep me going until 70 and then I would worry about it!

Get it checked out by all means, but ibc from radiation seems to me very unlikely. As you probably know I have ibc so by no means an expert but have read a lot about it.

Laura
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I had IBC and it don't sound
    I had IBC and it don't sound like it to me. It sounds like inflammation. And maybe burns on the inside that have not healed yet. I don't know about the holes, maybe if you are swollen it would make the pores look bigger. I had a mastectomy but the pain tenderness you describe sounds just like what I had weeks after rads. I was burned pretty bad. Did you burn? I wish you all the best. You should have it checked out to stay safe. Take care Kay
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Talk to your Dr
    Doesn't really sound like IBC to me - I'm IBC.

From what I've been told radiation can possibly be a factor in developing IBC but not that fast. I had radiation to my throat after a tonsilectomy in 1948 when I was 1 1/2 yrs old and they have say that it might have played a part in my IBC but no way of knowing for sure.

Certainly I'm not a health care professional (nor did I have a lumpectomy - had a raqd. mod. mast.) but my though would be that it might be part of the healing process.

TAlk to your DR(s).

Susan
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    I had the same thing
    after rads. (which was after 6 rounds of chemo that followed lumpectomies) My RO said that it was the hair folicles and pores that were "darkened" and it would go away. It did, I look fairly normal other than the 2 scars from lumpectomy (twice) and 4 node removal. I got sharp pains--was told it was from nerves being cut in surgery and regenerating. After doing too much with my arm one week I had particularly uncomfortable pain...I figured I overdid. All seems normal (if it ever will be again) now.
    I was told to use vitamin e oil on the scar daily after all treatment was completed after the 33 rads.
    My nipple also seemed almost inverted for a long time after the surgery--took about 10 months to look like it used to.
    Try not to worry, but do show your RO.
    JoAnn
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Sorry you have something going on..
    I had mastectomy so no breast left to look at since rads, so I am no help to you in that regard. Do know that my skin looks a little "mangy", blotchy and discolored in patches now that I am 2 months since the finish of rads.

Stupid Irene, sorry she postponed your RO visit and you have had to worry through the long weekend.

Jennifer
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I have IBC too, and it
    I have IBC too, and it doesn't sound like that to me either. One of the skin changes with IBC is peau d'orange, the skin gets hard with dimples like an orange peel. The skin doesn't get spongy. Other skin reactions with IBC are that it could look infected, or like a spider bite, or a bruise that doesn't go away. That doesn't sound like what you described.

However, I do think you should show your rad onc and get his opinion. Be sure to let us know what he says.

Hugs,

Linda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I have IBC too, and it
    I have IBC too, and it doesn't sound like that to me either. One of the skin changes with IBC is peau d'orange, the skin gets hard with dimples like an orange peel. The skin doesn't get spongy. Other skin reactions with IBC are that it could look infected, or like a spider bite, or a bruise that doesn't go away. That doesn't sound like what you described.

However, I do think you should show your rad onc and get his opinion. Be sure to let us know what he says.

Hugs,

Linda

Yikes ... Better get this checked out .. and quick ..
    it could be perfectly normal for your body type etc .. Best to be safe than sorry.

Gentle Hugs,

Vicki Sam
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Thanks Everyone
    I really appreciate the feed back, so nice of you all..and I am breathing a little sigh of relief from the info, I will repost when I see my RO this week...thanks so very very much..Sinee
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    sinee said:

Thanks Everyone
    I really appreciate the feed back, so nice of you all..and I am breathing a little sigh of relief from the info, I will repost when I see my RO this week...thanks so very very much..Sinee

Have you had your
    Have you had your appointment yet Sinee? Wishing you good luck!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

I had IBC and it don't sound
    I had IBC and it don't sound like it to me. It sounds like inflammation. And maybe burns on the inside that have not healed yet. I don't know about the holes, maybe if you are swollen it would make the pores look bigger. I had a mastectomy but the pain tenderness you describe sounds just like what I had weeks after rads. I was burned pretty bad. Did you burn? I wish you all the best. You should have it checked out to stay safe. Take care Kay

Hoping and praying that you
    Hoping and praying that you get some answers.

Hugs, Susie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Noel said:

Have you had your
    Have you had your appointment yet Sinee? Wishing you good luck!

Sinee, let us know what your
    Sinee, let us know what your oncologist says.

Hugs and prayers,

Diane