Mentor Silicone Gel implants

LynnKT
LynnKT Member Posts: 47
After almost 2 years wearing expanders, I am almost (within a little over a month)going to have "the exchange." My ps has highly recommended the sil implants. Anyone out there want to relate their experience with these implants? I am a little nervous about it all. What was your recovery time with the surgery? Thanks!

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    I personally don't have
    I personally don't have implants. I have alot of patients with them. There really is little difference in the safety anymore. If they are behind the muscle, it makes less difference in the look and feel. Alot of patients prefer the feel of the silicone.
    Be sure to follow the post surgery instructions.
    Good Luck!
    Cindy
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    I have silicone implants
    and have found them to be much more comfortable than the expanders. The surgery was easy. I was in the hospital in the morning and home by lunch (not kidding!). I found recovery to be easy. I was tired for a couple of days but not even sore. The implants were more comfortable than the expanders, so I actually felt better immediately after the surgery. I was given pain killers but didn't need them at all. Tylenol was all that I needed. I just took it easy for about a week or so after the surgery.

I hope that your surgery goes easy and that you are feeling good afterwards.

Best,
    Clementine
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

I have silicone implants
    and have found them to be much more comfortable than the expanders. The surgery was easy. I was in the hospital in the morning and home by lunch (not kidding!). I found recovery to be easy. I was tired for a couple of days but not even sore. The implants were more comfortable than the expanders, so I actually felt better immediately after the surgery. I was given pain killers but didn't need them at all. Tylenol was all that I needed. I just took it easy for about a week or so after the surgery.

I hope that your surgery goes easy and that you are feeling good afterwards.

Best,
    Clementine

Lynne,
    I am still sporting my tissue expanders but my exchange surgery is almost right after yours. November 3rd the twins will be born. I will be closely watching this thread as well because I was leaning towards saline. My PS of course said he will try and talk me out of that, but did mention it's my body so it really is up to me- so I am anxious to hear how our fellow pink sisters are doing with their implants. I might change over to silicone because all MRI's checking for ruptures should be covered under insurance since it's medically related. I like Clementines comments.. silicone may be the way to go because these current water balloons are pretty heavy. LOL

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537

Lynne,
    I am still sporting my tissue expanders but my exchange surgery is almost right after yours. November 3rd the twins will be born. I will be closely watching this thread as well because I was leaning towards saline. My PS of course said he will try and talk me out of that, but did mention it's my body so it really is up to me- so I am anxious to hear how our fellow pink sisters are doing with their implants. I might change over to silicone because all MRI's checking for ruptures should be covered under insurance since it's medically related. I like Clementines comments.. silicone may be the way to go because these current water balloons are pretty heavy. LOL

Hugs,
    Lorrie

I have saline and
    wish I would have gotten silicone. I have friends with silicone, and they don't have ruffles, where I do. Also, the silicone feels more natural.

This is only my opinion!

Carol
  • LynnKT
    LynnKT Member Posts: 47
    camul said:

I have saline and
    wish I would have gotten silicone. I have friends with silicone, and they don't have ruffles, where I do. Also, the silicone feels more natural.

This is only my opinion!

Carol

Thanks for your responses.
    Thanks for your responses. Yes, I was leaning towards the saline for the longest time. After all, I've had a long time to think about this decision. But I felt the sample implants in the ps's office and found the silicone felt much more natural. Has anyone out there had to have an MRI for their implants? I understand the recommendation is every 2-3 years. Also, what was the time frame for having the nipple tatooing (if you chose to go that road)?
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    LynnKT said:

Thanks for your responses.
    Thanks for your responses. Yes, I was leaning towards the saline for the longest time. After all, I've had a long time to think about this decision. But I felt the sample implants in the ps's office and found the silicone felt much more natural. Has anyone out there had to have an MRI for their implants? I understand the recommendation is every 2-3 years. Also, what was the time frame for having the nipple tatooing (if you chose to go that road)?

For the tattooing
    I first had the "skate" nipple procedure that basically creates a sort of nipple out of your skin. I had my exchange done at the end of October, then the skate nipple procedure done in February and was told that I could get the tattoos in about a month. I kept scheduling appointments for tattoos with my plastic surgeon that kept getting cancelled for one reason or another and then knowing that you can't go swimming for 3 weeks after the tattooing just said I would not do it until the summer ended. Well, so now I am supposed to get my tattoos this coming Friday. They said it will take about 45 minutes and that I can go right back to work. That is the plan. I haven't had the MRI yet as I am not a year out of the exchange but I look at it as an extra check that all is well (no recurrences) and since I had a bilateral mastectomy, I won't need mammograms anymore so this is, in my mind, just a replacement.

Best,
    Clementine
  • Yes to Mentor Silicone Gel Memory Implants
    Dear Lynn:

I was going for the saline until 4 days prior to the exchange and opted in for the Mentor Silicone Gel Memory implants. I am so happy that I made the decision for silicone. They feel more natural.

As far as the MRI, both my oncology breast surgeon and plastic surgeon said that there are false positives with the MRI and therefore do not recommend that test for the implants.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle