My sister needs a ride to chemo

elmenardi
elmenardi Member Posts: 4
Hi to all in cyberspace...

My sister just had a double mastectomy and went to her first chemo treatment two days ago. She lives in Crown Point, Indiana and needs help getting to/from her chemo sessions which are about 1-1/2 hours from her home. I live in Wyoming and so am not able to be there.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find help for her? I'd be so grateful for your help!

Thanks,
Elaine

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    If I lived near, I certainly would love to take her
    but I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe one of the pink sisters on this board is close by. Also, I think the American Cancer Society has a program that provides rides to treatment--you could try to call the local chapter in her area.

You're a sweet sister for helping her out. Good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Contact ACS
    Have her contact the ACS in her area - there is a program where rides can often be found. This time last year I was giving daily rides to a person for Rads. Apparently no one has needed rides in this area recently. Sorry - I'm in the Black Hills area so not much close that you.

Susan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    The cancer center I went to
    The cancer center I went to had volunteers ( which I used) to take me to radiation treatment~ perhpas your sister can contact the place she will be getting chemo. The ACS has a program called Road To Recovery which is also for those who can't get to appointments on their own. I don't know if she is involved with a church group~ perhaps they can also organize something to help her out.

Best of luck to your sister~ and bless your heart for looking out for her!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • elmenardi
    missrenee said:

If I lived near, I certainly would love to take her
    but I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe one of the pink sisters on this board is close by. Also, I think the American Cancer Society has a program that provides rides to treatment--you could try to call the local chapter in her area.

You're a sweet sister for helping her out. Good luck.

Hugs, Renee

Thanks so much! Peace to
    Thanks so much! Peace to you :)
  • elmenardi
    Rague said:

Contact ACS
    Have her contact the ACS in her area - there is a program where rides can often be found. This time last year I was giving daily rides to a person for Rads. Apparently no one has needed rides in this area recently. Sorry - I'm in the Black Hills area so not much close that you.

Susan

Thanks so much! Peace to
  • elmenardi
    chenheart said:

The cancer center I went to
    The cancer center I went to had volunteers ( which I used) to take me to radiation treatment~ perhpas your sister can contact the place she will be getting chemo. The ACS has a program called Road To Recovery which is also for those who can't get to appointments on their own. I don't know if she is involved with a church group~ perhaps they can also organize something to help her out.

Best of luck to your sister~ and bless your heart for looking out for her!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks so much! Peace to
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow long way for
    wow long way for treatments..sorry to hear.....did she or you contact cancer center I would think they must have some type of info to help out...

so sorry she is going through this and then no ride
    Denise
  • ginnyl
    ginnyl Member Posts: 38
    ride to chemo
    I dont know if you have public service for your senior citizens but i am in Mo and we do.I was about 10 years into my treatment plan when i found out that they have a bus that will take you two and from yourtreatment and yu dont have to be 65. Our bus servics iSMTS and over in another county its called OATS
    .. Ifound out about it through the senior citizens center . that might help you
  • ginnyl
    ginnyl Member Posts: 38
    ride to chemo
    I dont know if you have public service for your senior citizens but i am in Mo and we do.I was about 10 years into my treatment plan when i found out that they have a bus that will take you two and from yourtreatment and yu dont have to be 65. Our bus servics iSMTS and over in another county its called OATS
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    ginnyl said:

ride to chemo

check with the ACS
    or the treatment center. Sometimes there are support groups as well. Some churches offer rides too so that might be a possibility. Wish PA was closer or I'd help out, but that's a fer piece to drive.