im all done with rads

jerseygirl231
jerseygirl231 Member Posts: 178
Any help out in how to deal with the burns from it? I went thru a mastecomy with no pain chemo with no side effects but the rads have made up for that. Swallowing is hard to much pain and the wonderful red color for the treatment and no burn cream from the doc been running a temp thru out of of it also but they keep telling me it not rads doing it to me. Im left with third degree burns to heal from no fun

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    JG
    Congratulations Rad Grad! Sorry to hear you are burned so bad :-( Have you tried aloe? I don't understand why the doc hasn't given you anything for the burn?!
    ♥ Cat
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Ouch!
    I'm thrilled you've finished radiation but am so sorry about the burning....I'm on my second go round with rads....My radiation oncologist gave me Radia Plex and Biofine to use during treatment, 3-4 times a day...I did well and am using just Biofine this time....You should call your rads oncologist's office and get their advice on what to use....as for the fever, contact your oncologist or family physician....fever is usually never caused by rads....call both today...never a good idea to wait...

Wishing you better and pain free days ahead as you regain your good health...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • cctiz
    cctiz Member Posts: 47
    hi Jersey Girl
    Whole food stores carry this raw aloe vera, put it on a gauze and leave it there as much as you can, does wonders, drink it too (if you can) it takes all the heat in your body, yeah, the rads heat and the fever and exhaustion the treatment leaves in us, I have to agree when you say surgery and chemo dont do much on some people, rads can be really hard in certain bodies
    Good luck!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    cctiz said:

hi Jersey Girl
    Whole food stores carry this raw aloe vera, put it on a gauze and leave it there as much as you can, does wonders, drink it too (if you can) it takes all the heat in your body, yeah, the rads heat and the fever and exhaustion the treatment leaves in us, I have to agree when you say surgery and chemo dont do much on some people, rads can be really hard in certain bodies
    Good luck!

Can't believe they didn't give you something
    for those burns! My rad nurses kept samples of cream at their desk for patients. They did also recommend aloe though, it is very soothing to your skin.
    Dee
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I want to
    first wish you congrats on finishing rads but I'm so sorry you are dealing with burns. I unfortunately can't help. I started using cream before rads started and I barely turned pink and not until I was almost finished. My skin itched and peeled. I'm sure someone on the site will have info to help with your burns.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Congrats on
    being a Rad Grad! I am so sorry you are so burned. I used Aquaphor and Calendua Gel which were both recommended by my onc office.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    ask for Bliss
    you can get something for the burns, you can ask the Doctor for Bliss, and you can order Miaderm on line~about 27.00 for 4 oz. but is worth every penny~
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    I'm Just About to Start
    My radiation oncologist, too, does not like his patients to use anything at all during radiation. I am not sure why. But I have very fair skin and I am really worried. If it's a matter of interfering with the radiation, why can't you use something when it's all over? I am going to try to get to the bottom of this.
  • zoey72
    zoey72 Member Posts: 9
    radiation burns
    I have completed 21 radiation treatments with 14 to go. My rad oncologist recommended aquaphor or hydrophor applied right after treatment and again before bed. My skin is pink with only after treatment #21 the skin was red and slightly itchy. I applied vit E oil before bed and this morning the skin is only slightly pink. The Rad techs told me that all lotions, gels etc should be avoided prior to treatment at least by 4 hours. They also recommended bathing with Dove soap. Hope this helps. Best wishes and hugs
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    zoey72 said:

radiation burns
    I have completed 21 radiation treatments with 14 to go. My rad oncologist recommended aquaphor or hydrophor applied right after treatment and again before bed. My skin is pink with only after treatment #21 the skin was red and slightly itchy. I applied vit E oil before bed and this morning the skin is only slightly pink. The Rad techs told me that all lotions, gels etc should be avoided prior to treatment at least by 4 hours. They also recommended bathing with Dove soap. Hope this helps. Best wishes and hugs

Way to go rad grad!
    My RO suggested Neosporin plus pain relief, especially with opened blisters. Aloe was also okay. Once they healed up I used Gold Bond Ultimate soothing. Ask first but these might help.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    MAJW said:

Ouch!
    I'm thrilled you've finished radiation but am so sorry about the burning....I'm on my second go round with rads....My radiation oncologist gave me Radia Plex and Biofine to use during treatment, 3-4 times a day...I did well and am using just Biofine this time....You should call your rads oncologist's office and get their advice on what to use....as for the fever, contact your oncologist or family physician....fever is usually never caused by rads....call both today...never a good idea to wait...

Wishing you better and pain free days ahead as you regain your good health...
    Hugs, Nancy

Congrats on finishing rads!
    Congrats on finishing rads!
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    skipper54 said:

Way to go rad grad!
    My RO suggested Neosporin plus pain relief, especially with opened blisters. Aloe was also okay. Once they healed up I used Gold Bond Ultimate soothing. Ask first but these might help.

congratulations on finishing rads!
    I'm almost 1/2 through with them and have not had too much discomfort yet. My rad onc told me to use Aquaphor and I apply that every night. Ask your doctor for something for the pain, and fever should not be related to rads as far as I know...so you probably also want to get that checked out.

Best to you,
    Laura
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    mollieb said:

I'm Just About to Start
    My radiation oncologist, too, does not like his patients to use anything at all during radiation. I am not sure why. But I have very fair skin and I am really worried. If it's a matter of interfering with the radiation, why can't you use something when it's all over? I am going to try to get to the bottom of this.

Congrats on being a rad
    Congrats on being a rad grad. I am so sorry about the burns. I am hoping and praying that your rads oncologist will help you with this and that you heal quickly.

♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    sinee said:

ask for Bliss
    you can get something for the burns, you can ask the Doctor for Bliss, and you can order Miaderm on line~about 27.00 for 4 oz. but is worth every penny~

I used Biafine for any burn
    I used Biafine for any burn that might occur, but, I never did. Congrats on finishing and take care.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Happy to hear it's
    Happy to hear it's over..that is the DAY I remember the most! I was very fortunate I did not have any side effects at all-no burns, not tired etc.

so NO advice just good thoughts heading your way and I am sure you'll get much helpful info here

Denise
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Happy to hear it's
    Happy to hear it's over..that is the DAY I remember the most! I was very fortunate I did not have any side effects at all-no burns, not tired etc.

so NO advice just good thoughts heading your way and I am sure you'll get much helpful info here

Denise

Aquaphor and Biafine is what
    Aquaphor and Biafine is what my rads oncologist gave me to use. I am happy that you are done with rads now!

Hugs, Megan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Megan M said:

Aquaphor and Biafine is what
    Aquaphor and Biafine is what my rads oncologist gave me to use. I am happy that you are done with rads now!

Hugs, Megan

congratualtions!

congratualtions!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Congratulations on
    Congratulations on completing rads. I don't know why the Dr, has not given you anything for the burns. And why aren't they taking the temp seriously?? Temps should always be taken seriously. Your in my prayers sending you strength. Kay
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Congrats!
    I finished today!

I use aquaphor and aloe gel and I find that it helps with the healing. My skin is already peeling.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    First try the real thing...gel from aloe plant
    First try the real thing...gel from the aloe plant. It is slimy, but it works. Wear something over it to protect your clothing.

Don't ignore the temperature. See your internist.

Because I am a "skin person", I get upset when people are burned by radiation. They seem to treat us with the same dosage and yet we have different types of skin. What I don't understand is why someone has to burn. Not everyone burns.

Why should a redhead, fair skin get the same radiation dosage (intensity) as a dark haired, olive skin person? They should compensate for skin type. We all know that if both women sunbathed, the fair skin would get a sunburn whereas the olive skin would get a tan.

Anyway, I am thrilled that you are finished with radiation. Go celebrate.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle