invasive ductal carcinona

Julie2011
Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
My 57 year old sister advised me she has breast cancer. It is progestrin & estrogen receptive. HER 2; 4 cm PET SCAN: SUV 3.0
no indication of any other involvement. She is scheduled to have her breast removed and was wondering - does she really need to have her lymph nodes removed?

Why can't they just biopsy the lymph nodes and if it isn't cancer - just leave the lymph nodes be?

Anyone not have their lymph nodes removed? Thanks.

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Well lets see the lymph
    Well lets see the lymph nodes are very small. They don't take all of them but agrouping of the ones that the breast would drain into.
  • Julie2011

Well lets see the lymph
    Well lets see the lymph nodes are very small. They don't take all of them but agrouping of the ones that the breast would drain into.

lymph nodes
    Well - the doctor said there is over 20 lymph nodes under the arm pit and he/she wants to take every one out!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Julie2011 said:

lymph nodes
    Well - the doctor said there is over 20 lymph nodes under the arm pit and he/she wants to take every one out!

Hi Julie -- It doesn't sound
    Hi Julie -- It doesn't sound right to me, but other sisters will comment as well. Sentinel nodes get removed, but not all nodes, especially if the sentinel ones are clean. And BTW, recently there was a study made that now it doesn't make a difference if there is cancer present in the sentinel nodes, the rest don't have to be removed, IF the patient gets chemo.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Julie, I had a bilateral
    Julie, I had a bilateral mast. sentinal nodes removed and 7 lymph nodes checked in right bst. and 5 checked in left bst. all were clear. I think they have to remove them to check them.
    I really don't know for sure though.
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    hi, I don't know if I can help but this is what happened to me
    On my pet scan, there were hot spots at the lymph nodes. First the surgeon performed a biopsy on one large one - came back negative. During surgery of my breast 4 additional lymph nodes were removed by the sentinel method. That is the first nodes in line after the tumor. All came back negative even though the pet showed positive or questionable markers.

My surgeon advised it was necessary to check my nodes because of the markers on the pet scan. I have had no adverse discomfort at the sight of the node removal. It's all healed up. I guess it was just part of the process for me.

I wish your sister well during her journey.

Hugs,
    pp
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Hi Julie -- It doesn't sound
    Hi Julie -- It doesn't sound right to me, but other sisters will comment as well. Sentinel nodes get removed, but not all nodes, especially if the sentinel ones are clean. And BTW, recently there was a study made that now it doesn't make a difference if there is cancer present in the sentinel nodes, the rest don't have to be removed, IF the patient gets chemo.

They can remove one, a
    They can remove one, a sentinel node and see if it clean. If it is, they don't have to take anymore from what I understand.
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    They removed 17 lymph nodes
    They removed 17 lymph nodes on one side and 15 were positive. That was in 2003. What's the big deal if you get to live? That's my thought anyway. I don't miss them.
    Had a bilateral mast too btw.
    But everyone has to decide for themselves.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    tufi000 said:

They removed 17 lymph nodes
    They removed 17 lymph nodes on one side and 15 were positive. That was in 2003. What's the big deal if you get to live? That's my thought anyway. I don't miss them.
    Had a bilateral mast too btw.
    But everyone has to decide for themselves.

Also had IDC
    and had my mastectomy in December (right). The surgeon took 9 nodes, 3 shoed signs of involvement when tested. They lit up on the PET scan. A repeat scan after surgery had no lights but I went ahead with radiation. (Chemo was before surgery.) I haven't had any problems. Some people develope lymph edema BUT that can happen with the removal of just one node - happened to a friend. Each of us in different and we each have to make our own decisions. I don't regret what I did. I wanted the best chances of not being back in surgery in another year or two. There are no guarantees in anything, just your "gut" feelings.
  • Julie2011
    skipper54 said:

Also had IDC
    and had my mastectomy in December (right). The surgeon took 9 nodes, 3 shoed signs of involvement when tested. They lit up on the PET scan. A repeat scan after surgery had no lights but I went ahead with radiation. (Chemo was before surgery.) I haven't had any problems. Some people develope lymph edema BUT that can happen with the removal of just one node - happened to a friend. Each of us in different and we each have to make our own decisions. I don't regret what I did. I wanted the best chances of not being back in surgery in another year or two. There are no guarantees in anything, just your "gut" feelings.

thanks!
    Thanks for your response. She is just worried that she is not going to have the use of her arm and they told her the nodes are coming out without telling that that they would be checked first. Sounds drastic?
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Julie2011 said:

lymph nodes

From what I know, we vary in
    From what I know, we vary in the amount of lymph nodes we have, which I found bizarre. I thought we all had the same. With that being said, she could just have the sentinal node taken out, which is one.

Good luck!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Julie2011 said:

thanks!
    Thanks for your response. She is just worried that she is not going to have the use of her arm and they told her the nodes are coming out without telling that that they would be checked first. Sounds drastic?

The surgeon removed 19 with
    The surgeon removed 19 with my mastectomy. Each person is different and each oncologist is different. I was told that they remove them and send them to pathology. It could be do to the placement or size of the tumor. I would rather be safe! I have complete use of my right arm, some numbness in spots under the arm, but have always had use. Could she talk to the surgeon and have her explain her reasoning behind talking so many?

Hoping for the best...

Carol
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    Julie2011 said:

thanks!

oh gosh...
    Oh my, she will have the use of her arm, sweetie! It is a minimal surgical procedure, small scar, but they've got to check those nodes. It is really overwhelming when the doctors give you information during the process. Be sure to take a buddy, spouse, etc. when you go for your appointments. It is a difficult time! Be a fighter, be an advocate for yourself. You will be able to prevail....just look at all the survivors here.

Best wishes!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

oh gosh...
    Oh my, she will have the use of her arm, sweetie! It is a minimal surgical procedure, small scar, but they've got to check those nodes. It is really overwhelming when the doctors give you information during the process. Be sure to take a buddy, spouse, etc. when you go for your appointments. It is a difficult time! Be a fighter, be an advocate for yourself. You will be able to prevail....just look at all the survivors here.

Best wishes!

I had 23 lymph nodes removed
    The sentinel node was positive, so my surgeon kept going till he found clear ones. The nodes are grouped in clusters and my surgeon said there is no set number--you could have as few as 10 or 12 or as many as 60.

Out of my 23 removed, 10 were positive. Has this caused some issues--yes, but not as many issues as it would have if the positive ones were not removed. I'm glad they're gone.

I wish the best for her.

Hugs, Renee
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    missrenee said:

I had 23 lymph nodes removed
    The sentinel node was positive, so my surgeon kept going till he found clear ones. The nodes are grouped in clusters and my surgeon said there is no set number--you could have as few as 10 or 12 or as many as 60.

Out of my 23 removed, 10 were positive. Has this caused some issues--yes, but not as many issues as it would have if the positive ones were not removed. I'm glad they're gone.

I wish the best for her.

Hugs, Renee

I agree with Renee and my
    I agree with Renee and my doctor did the same thing~kept going. I had 17 removed with 8 positive.
    Better to be gone along with the disease.
    Hugs,
    Wanda