Mets question

Barb A
Barb A Member Posts: 123
Hi ladies. There are so many wonderful and caring people on here, I know I can trust asking a question.

I try not to automatically think something is cancer as I know that we survivors still must deal with other ailments. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

Last October I had an MRI for lower back pain/severe sciatica, pain in the hip and thigh. The MRI showed a herniated disc. I couldn't sit and had to walk to relieve the pain. I had PT and it seemed better. Now about three months ago, it started up again only now I can't stand or walk without pain. I sit to relieve the pain, but without pain meds, that doesn't help either. I also get what feels like bone pain in the hip and some pain in my side like appendicitis. My dr. says that can be common with pinched nerves. I've been in PT for 5 weeks and nothing is working.

My question, has anyone had this type of problem and it was mets? I do know one person who had a tumor on her lower spine that presented itself as sciatica (not from breast cancer). I have talked to my onc and he wasn't worried about it, but I sometimes feel I get better and more honest feedback from reading the posts here as we are all living this ride. Should I insist on another MRI? Again, I know it could be just a herniated disk, but if it were mets, I'd want to catch it early - so I guess I'm being cautious and asking if anyone has had anything similar. What helped you?

Thanks,
Barb

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Barb,
    After I finished my

Hi Barb,
    After I finished my chemo (4 rounds of AC/2 of taxotere) i began having bad joint pain. I started tamoxifen and it increased significantly. Long story short, I switched oncologist's, was taken off tamoxifen (i wasn't ER+ anyway so it wasnt doing me a damn bit of good!), but pain persisted in my knees & hips & hands. I went to PT to strengthen my knees/legs/hips. Went to a pain mgmt doctor & was told that I have bursitis in my hips. She gave me cortisone injections in both hips & the pain was gone almost immediately. The PT helped me regain muscle lost during chemo (i slept all the time, gained about 20 lbs) and REALLY helped with the knee pain. I can't really offer any insight on the pain in your side or back, but just wanted to offer what ive been going through with my hips. I've joined a gym & am weight training 3x a week and gaining more muscle, feeling really good, but on a good say i still take percocet + ibuprofen. My cortisone shots have worn off so the pain is getting bad again but I can't get in to see my pain mgmt dr for another 3 weeks :(
    Maybe you can see a pain management doctor regarding the pain you're having? I was impressed with how thorough my pain dr. has been. Best of luck to you Barb!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hi Barb,
    After I finished my

Hi Barb,
    After I finished my chemo (4 rounds of AC/2 of taxotere) i began having bad joint pain. I started tamoxifen and it increased significantly. Long story short, I switched oncologist's, was taken off tamoxifen (i wasn't ER+ anyway so it wasnt doing me a damn bit of good!), but pain persisted in my knees & hips & hands. I went to PT to strengthen my knees/legs/hips. Went to a pain mgmt doctor & was told that I have bursitis in my hips. She gave me cortisone injections in both hips & the pain was gone almost immediately. The PT helped me regain muscle lost during chemo (i slept all the time, gained about 20 lbs) and REALLY helped with the knee pain. I can't really offer any insight on the pain in your side or back, but just wanted to offer what ive been going through with my hips. I've joined a gym & am weight training 3x a week and gaining more muscle, feeling really good, but on a good say i still take percocet + ibuprofen. My cortisone shots have worn off so the pain is getting bad again but I can't get in to see my pain mgmt dr for another 3 weeks :(
    Maybe you can see a pain management doctor regarding the pain you're having? I was impressed with how thorough my pain dr. has been. Best of luck to you Barb!
    *hugs*
    Heather

I don't have this Barb, but,
    I don't have this Barb, but, if insisting and getting another MRI would give you peace of mind, then I say do it. Your knowing where this pain is coming from and exactly what it is is worth it.

Good luck and let us know,

Jan
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Personally,
    I would ask the onco for a bone scan and MRI. It is your body and if it doesn't feel right, then do whatever it takes to relieve the what if's that go through your mind.

Doesn't sound good to be hoping for back issues, but it beats the alternative.
    Carol
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    camul said:

Personally,
    I would ask the onco for a bone scan and MRI. It is your body and if it doesn't feel right, then do whatever it takes to relieve the what if's that go through your mind.

Carol

Since it's been almost a year since the MRI
    and you are still in significant pain, I would definitely request the MRI and like Carol above said--a bone scan. Sometimes, being cancer patients, we do worry about things that turn out to be nothing. But our antennae are up big time now, so we worry about the worst case scenario.

Many people on this site (me included) now have joint and bone pain we never had before. I hope you are able to get the testing, put your mind at ease with great results and then try to minimize your back pain.

Best of luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    It probably wouldn't hurt to
    It probably wouldn't hurt to have the MRI but it sounds like the back problems one of my co-worker has. She finally had to have surgery for her herniated disk. It is always prudent to rule out mets, but we do have normal, non cancer ailments like everyone else too.

Cindy
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Barbara -- I just want to
    Barb -- I just want to send you positive thoughts your way. Good luck with everything you decide to do and please let us know.
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Have you had a bone scan?
    If I were you I would ask to have a bone scan. I had problems with hip pain and lower back pain also and was very concerned about bone mets. I never had an MRI. They did a bone scan. It you are in pain and worried I think you should have the scan to relieve your mind. good luck. I hope you get an answer and relief from your pain very soon. Prayers, teri
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Peace of Mind is Worth Its Weight In Gold
    Barb,

Peace of mind is worth its weight in gold, so insist on the tests. Then there is no doubt and you know what avenue to take to alleviate your pain.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    tko683 said:

Have you had a bone scan?
    If I were you I would ask to have a bone scan. I had problems with hip pain and lower back pain also and was very concerned about bone mets. I never had an MRI. They did a bone scan. It you are in pain and worried I think you should have the scan to relieve your mind. good luck. I hope you get an answer and relief from your pain very soon. Prayers, teri

Bone scan
    Barb,
    Sorry for your back pain. I was told by my doc that in order to Rule Out mets to the bones bone scan is required.
    In order to rule out cancer in abdominal area you need a PET scan. Your oncologist should order bone scan based on you symptoms.

I have had a back pain which has been caused by osteoporosis. My physical therapist told me that is a long process and improvement could be achieved within 8 weeks. Ask your PT about your expectations.

Wishing you the best
    Please let us know
    New Flower
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Barb
    I often have the same question about lower back pain and if it could be mets. I was dx with lumbar spinal stenosis a few years ago. I have bone spurs and swelling in the L1 - L3 area. Every time I have surgery I have to stop my arthritis pain meds a week prior and the pain is awful. It spreads to both sides of my hips and down my legs. An orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the spine showed me how the spine interacts with the legs. I see my onc in September and plan on asking about scans. I see spine orthopedic in October and will have an xray done for that appt. I don't think Arimidex (Anastrazole) has made my pain any worse.
    Char
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Avoid Bone Scan and do a Ct/PET Scan
    The best test to see if you have metastasis is a CT/PET Scan. A bone scan only shows uptake which can be many, many things. All it does is make you worry until a more specific test is done. MRI for the bones are good too.

Why go through all the nuclear dye stuff when you can avoid it. Why do a test when it doesn't show much at all.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best,

Doris
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    camul said:

Personally,

Carol

I would agree with Carol in
    I would agree with Carol in asking for a MRI and a bone scan.

Leeza
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    SIROD said:

Avoid Bone Scan and do a Ct/PET Scan
    The best test to see if you have metastasis is a CT/PET Scan. A bone scan only shows uptake which can be many, many things. All it does is make you worry until a more specific test is done. MRI for the bones are good too.

Why go through all the nuclear dye stuff when you can avoid it. Why do a test when it doesn't show much at all.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best,

Doris

Have..
    The bone scan..For your peace of mind, or what ever your PHYSICIAN recommends....and by the way I've had nuclear dye with ALL my scans...
    My very best wishes, and please keep us posted...we care..
    Hugs, Nancy