No surgery

Glenna M
Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
After a couple of months of testing, scans and physical therapy my surgeon and oncologist decided yesterday that it is too risky to do any type of surgery. I have an appointment with my onco on Thursday to discuss his choice of treatment plans and then I meet with the rad onc next Thursday to get his plan of action. I'm disappointed because I wanted them to take out as much of the larger tumor in my right lung but since they couldn't get it all and I would still need chemo I'm okay with skipping the surgery. They won't even do a biopsy right now because even taking a small amount for the biopsy is risky, I'm already on oxygen 24/7 and they are afraid that it would make it even harder for me to breath.

Of course all of this leaves me with a million questions for my onco Thursday. Like how do they determine what type, stage, etc without a biopsy. My guess is they are going under the assumption that it is the same cancer (NSCLC) returned in my left lung and spread to my right lung.

I will be spending the next couple of days writing down all the questions I have and eating plus continuing with my physical therapy. I need to pack on a few more pounds before treatment starts, I'm still 7 pounds shy of what I weighed when I was first diagnosed two years ago.

Surprisingly I am still doing okay with all of this, I'm remaining calm and not thinking the worst yet. I've already got my big girl panties on and am lacing up my azz kicking boots now so I can kick cancer's azz again!!

Stay well everyone,
Glenna

Comments

• lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Glenna
    With your amazing attitude Glenna, that cancer doesn't stand a chance of surviving in your body. All of that climbing of hills will make whatever treatment they throw at you easier as now you are ready!! Rememembe always that you have a team here that is watching your back!! Love, Diane
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    lekkerone said:

Glenna
    With your amazing attitude Glenna, that cancer doesn't stand a chance of surviving in your body. All of that climbing of hills will make whatever treatment they throw at you easier as now you are ready!! Rememembe always that you have a team here that is watching your back!! Love, Diane

Glenna
    I want the tx plan you get to disolve the tumors. Maybe in the future could you get like that cyberknife? Or nanoknife, nanoknife is still very new. Or spheres rfa I think. Maybe after the tumors shrink you can get them zapped out. I wish you only the best. Lori
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    :(
    So sorry to hear of this development, Glenna, but amazed by your awesome spirit and calm presence! You are a great example to all.

z is right: beat this stuff back and then look for ways to get rid of it.

Take care, my friend,

Joe
  • Glenna M
    lekkerone said:

Glenna

Hill climbing....
    Thank you Diane, I remember your saying that you would always be there if I needed help climbing that hill. I think I'll make the summit but want to have you and all my friends at the top to celebrate with me when I beat this again!!

It gives me comfort and strength knowing I have you all cheering me on!!

Love you all,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    z said:

Glenna
    I want the tx plan you get to disolve the tumors. Maybe in the future could you get like that cyberknife? Or nanoknife, nanoknife is still very new. Or spheres rfa I think. Maybe after the tumors shrink you can get them zapped out. I wish you only the best. Lori

Lori
    I'm hoping you are right and the chemo and radiation will shrink the tumors enough that they can possibly do some other type of procedure to get rid of it completely. The tumor in my left lung is not that large but the one in my right lung was 2 inches and it grew even more in between my last two scans.

Whatever the treatment plan is I know I will do well.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M

:(
    So sorry to hear of this development, Glenna, but amazed by your awesome spirit and calm presence! You are a great example to all.

z is right: beat this stuff back and then look for ways to get rid of it.

Take care, my friend,

Joe

Thank you Joe
    Yeah, it sucks but what are ya gonna do??? As you always say, "it is what it is" and I've finally learned that nothing I say or do is going to change this. Now all I can do is follow my doctor's advice and fight.

I've always loved a good fight and I intend to win this one. The last round of treatments bought me 2 years so now I'm going back to fight for as many more years as I can get. I've got too many people to live for in my life and I won't let them down.

Thanks for your kind words my dear friend.
    Glenna
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Glenna M said:

Hill climbing....
    Thank you Diane, I remember your saying that you would always be there if I needed help climbing that hill. I think I'll make the summit but want to have you and all my friends at the top to celebrate with me when I beat this again!!

Love you all,
    Glenna

See, I do know how to spell it. We'll be waiting Glenna with a large glass of whatever you like and huge smiles!!
  • ann m
    ann m Member Posts: 30
    Glenna M said:

Thank you Joe
    Yeah, it sucks but what are ya gonna do??? As you always say, "it is what it is" and I've finally learned that nothing I say or do is going to change this. Now all I can do is follow my doctor's advice and fight.

I've always loved a good fight and I intend to win this one. The last round of treatments bought me 2 years so now I'm going back to fight for as many more years as I can get. I've got too many people to live for in my life and I won't let them down.

Thanks for your kind words my dear friend.
    Glenna

I love your attitude! The
    I love your attitude! The treatments and attitude is what gave you the 2 years and you have many more to come!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Go for it Girl

Take control and run with the flow there is nothing stopping you, hit it as hard as you can (I like your azz word). You have always been strong and full of faith, so keep your focus on your game plan and you know what the rest of us will be doing for you.

Hondo
  • Glenna M
    ann m said:

I love your attitude! The
    I love your attitude! The treatments and attitude is what gave you the 2 years and you have many more to come!

ann m
    Thank you, I think my attitude and strength are even better this time as I've already been through this once. Hoping this time it will buy me at least 5 years :) Typical response, right??? Give me two years and now I want five...LOL

Take care.
  • Glenna M
    Hondo said:

Go for it Girl

Take control and run with the flow there is nothing stopping you, hit it as hard as you can (I like your azz word). You have always been strong and full of faith, so keep your focus on your game plan and you know what the rest of us will be doing for you.

Hondo

Hondo
    Thank you, I know I can always count on you for the prayers and they are very much appreciated.

Glenna
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    DRATS!!!
    So sorry Glenna, I know you were working really hard to be prepared for surgery. But all your effort is not in vain. Your lungs are stronger and will aid you in your new tx plan. You zigged and the cancer zagged! I admire your strength and attitude Glenna, you are going to win this fight, for sure. Heard about cyberknife and hopefully that could be an option for you in the distant future. Stay strong and when you need to lean, we will be here to lift you up. As always Glenna, you are on my prayer card. Keep us posted on how we may support you. A great big HUG coming your way.
    Cheryl
  • Glenna M

DRATS!!!
    So sorry Glenna, I know you were working really hard to be prepared for surgery. But all your effort is not in vain. Your lungs are stronger and will aid you in your new tx plan. You zigged and the cancer zagged! I admire your strength and attitude Glenna, you are going to win this fight, for sure. Heard about cyberknife and hopefully that could be an option for you in the distant future. Stay strong and when you need to lean, we will be here to lift you up. As always Glenna, you are on my prayer card. Keep us posted on how we may support you. A great big HUG coming your way.
    Cheryl

Cheryl
    Thank you for the encouragement, I'm a little disappointed but I am sure they know what they are doing. I have complete trust in my doctors. I plan on continuing my walks and exercises and trying to gain weight, I figure this will only help me during treatment.

It means the world to me to know that I have so many wonderful people here who will help me through this. Thank you for the hug and the prayers.

Glenna
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    Glenna M said:

Cheryl
    Thank you for the encouragement, I'm a little disappointed but I am sure they know what they are doing. I have complete trust in my doctors. I plan on continuing my walks and exercises and trying to gain weight, I figure this will only help me during treatment.

It means the world to me to know that I have so many wonderful people here who will help me through this. Thank you for the hug and the prayers.

Glenna

Hi Glenna - I have not been
    Hi Glenna - I have not been around in a while and am sorry to see that you are once again dealing with this.

Thank goodness you found your big girl panties and your azz kickin' boots!! You can do this!!

Positive T&P coming your way!!

~elysia~
  • Glenna M
    hope0310 said:

Hi Glenna - I have not been
    Hi Glenna - I have not been around in a while and am sorry to see that you are once again dealing with this.

Thank goodness you found your big girl panties and your azz kickin' boots!! You can do this!!

Positive T&P coming your way!!

~elysia~

Elysia
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!! Still wearing my big girl panties and azz kickin' boots :) Gonna do some serious business with them boots...LOL.

It's so nice to see your smiling face again, hope you are well!!

Glenna
  • granny maggie
    granny maggie Member Posts: 15
    No surgery
    Jut st got out of hospital because my labs for chemo were so low but doing okay had to postpone chemo for a week. As far as staging our cancer they just call mine reocurring cancer as it went from the left lung to the right and it's the same type but I had the cyberknife radiation as I can't have anym ore surgery. Just keep those panties and boots laced and go in fighting girl. Thinking about you take care.
  • granny maggie
    granny maggie Member Posts: 15
    No surgery
    Jut st got out of hospital because my labs for chemo were so low but doing okay had to postpone chemo for a week. As far as staging our cancer they just call mine reocurring cancer as it went from the left lung to the right and it's the same type but I had the cyberknife radiation as I can't have anym ore surgery. Just keep those panties and boots laced and go in fighting girl. Thinking about you take care.
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    Glenna M said:

Elysia
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!! Still wearing my big girl panties and azz kickin' boots :) Gonna do some serious business with them boots...LOL.

It's so nice to see your smiling face again, hope you are well!!

Glenna

Keep on truckin' Glenna. I
    Keep on truckin' Glenna. I take so much comfort from your positive attitude.
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    Glenna M said:

Hill climbing....

Love you all,
    Glenna

Kickin Azz!!!
    Glenna, I am so sorry to hear you have to fight this devil again, but remember there are many on this site that have beaten it a second and third time and with your postive attitude you will too! .... Thinking of you with many prayers....... Dan
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Dear Glenna,
    When I was told I couldn't have surgery because my lungs were in bad shape, I was happy! I was afraid to have surgery and maybe lose more lung function.

Have you had the tests for the mutations - EGFR and ALK at least? If you had a biopsy and they think this is the same cancer, then they may have tissue left over to test. I feel for you, Glenna! I'm hoping that you can beat this thing!

I'm still here after 6 years, and the only thing the doc can find wrong is my emphysema getting worse, no cancer. No cancer! If I can say that, then I have no doubt that you will be able to also before too long!

♥ Love, Deb