sad day for Canada

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
Hello my dear forum buddies.....as usual i have been in the north woods all summer in my little cabin. Tonight we decided to drive over to the US for a little break before going home....we are on Drummond Island Michigan in a nice wee hotel with running water and wifi and electricity and a washroom....haha all things we do not have at our camp

We were shocked to hear this morning that Mr. Jack Layton...leader of the Federal Opposition Party in Canada had died this morning of cancer.....last year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer but this new cancer has been a secret.....mmmmmm I find this strange....why a secret....?//

anyway.....it is very very sad for us.....I send love to all my ole buddies and promise to meet all our new memebers when i get back to civilization next week....till then....love to all.....

so afraid to ask who had passed....

hugs to all

mags

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Maggie May:)
    You have a wondeful ability to romanticize the lack of running water, electricity and a washroom:)

Your summer cabin sounds very much like my grandparent's old place of yore. We drew water out of the well, heated up water on a wood burning stove, took any bath in a #12 wash tub, relied on the conveinence of the outhouse, or broke down and used the chamber pot when you didn't want to walk a mile blinded by darkness futzing around with trying to handle the business end of things.

Those were the days, eh? We had nothing but thought it was all ok:) I'm the last Mohican in the family who remembers those days, ever so fondly. I was the first grandchild, so I got to enjoy it all - in living color. BTW, no TV's either.

The rest of the grandkids that followed could care less about those ol' stories but they could never imagine what they missed - and how far we all came since those days.

LOL! Welcome back to civilization and you found it in the U.S. of all places:)

-Craig
  • maglets
    Sundanceh said:

You have a wondeful ability to romanticize the lack of running water, electricity and a washroom:)

Your summer cabin sounds very much like my grandparent's old place of yore. We drew water out of the well, heated up water on a wood burning stove, took any bath in a #12 wash tub, relied on the conveinence of the outhouse, or broke down and used the chamber pot when you didn't want to walk a mile blinded by darkness futzing around with trying to handle the business end of things.

Those were the days, eh? We had nothing but thought it was all ok:) I'm the last Mohican in the family who remembers those days, ever so fondly. I was the first grandchild, so I got to enjoy it all - in living color. BTW, no TV's either.

The rest of the grandkids that followed could care less about those ol' stories but they could never imagine what they missed - and how far we all came since those days.

-Craig

ahhhhh
    ahhhhh my darling boy.....there you are.....yes civilization in Michigan could not have been more charming and welcoming////people here are soooo nice.....

and the beer is sooooo cheap for canucks.....

yes our little camp is hard work...I begin to think I am too old....we shall see

love you dear boy.....mags
  • maglets
    Sundanceh said:

-Craig

ahhhhh
    ahhhhh my darling boy.....there you are.....yes civilization in Michigan could not have been more charming and welcoming////people here are soooo nice.....

and the beer is sooooo cheap for canucks.....

yes our little camp is hard work...I begin to think I am too old....we shall see

love you dear boy.....mags
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hey
    Hey, Mags.

Very sorry to hear about this. Cheryl posted it on facebook. Are you familiar with Ashford and Simpson? Nick Ashford just passed away from throat cancer.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Mags
    Mags,
    I feel for you and all our Canadian friends. So sorry for the loss to your beautiful country.
    I love hearing from you. I miss you.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Mags
    Mags,
    I feel for you and all our Canadian friends. So sorry for the loss to your beautiful country.
    I love hearing from you. I miss you.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

Feel sorry for the loos!
    Hope to see you soon here mags!.
    xxxxxxxxx.
  • maglets
    pepebcn said:

Feel sorry for the loos!
    Hope to see you soon here mags!.
    xxxxxxxxx.

hi pepe
    one more week in the woods and then we will be home....I have missed all of you

mags
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Hey
    Hey, Mags.

Very sorry to hear about this. Cheryl posted it on facebook. Are you familiar with Ashford and Simpson? Nick Ashford just passed away from throat cancer.

*hugs*
    Gail

My Favorite Songwriters
    Nick Ashford and Valarie Simpson was possibly the best contemporary songwriters in my lifetime. I'll miss him, still listen to his music to this day.

I hope the Canadian opposition leader was a champion for good causes, and that his successor will be the same.

Best
  • yoga
    yoga Member Posts: 87
    maglets said:

hi pepe
    one more week in the woods and then we will be home....I have missed all of you

mags

thanks from a Canadian
    Thank you for your thoughts. Jack Layton was an incredible man - one who thought of healthcare, the environment and so many other important things in the lives of Canadians. I only watched bits of the State Funeral held on Saturday, but I shed tears as I watched.

He wrote a letter to Canadians which was released after he passed away - once again, I shed tears for the loss of such an amazing man. Below is an excerpt from the letter, one I know all of you will appreciate:

To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and to live their lives, I say this: please don’t be discouraged that my own journey hasn’t gone as well as I had hoped. You must not lose your own hope. Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease. You have every reason to be optimistic, determined, and focused on the future. My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer.

If you are interested, the full text is at (sorry, I need to work on making a link):
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/22/pol-layton-last-letter.html

yoga jo
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Mags, we have missed you.
    Hi Mags, we have missed you. I am sorry for your loss. We all need good leaders and it is so sad to lose one.
    Enjoy your last week of summer.
    Hugs,
    judy
  • maglets
    jjaj133 said:

Hi Mags, we have missed you.
    Hi Mags, we have missed you. I am sorry for your loss. We all need good leaders and it is so sad to lose one.
    Enjoy your last week of summer.
    Hugs,
    judy

hi again
    finally down from the north and the cabin.....thanks for your note yoga

indeed Jack will be greatly missed....and it's true....every cancer death is another blow to us....another swipe....another reminder that is is hard to survive...and fight....

thanks for your thoughts...hi judy and all

maggie
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    maglets said:

hi again
    finally down from the north and the cabin.....thanks for your note yoga

indeed Jack will be greatly missed....and it's true....every cancer death is another blow to us....another swipe....another reminder that is is hard to survive...and fight....

thanks for your thoughts...hi judy and all

maggie

Welcome back mate,
    I am truly glad that you have 'the cabin and the north'. Just as I have the deep blue and the wild rivers. They are the earth wires for our souls. Whilst there all of the bad stuff drains away and the emotion battery gets recharged. Hope you are keeping well. I'm off for a weeks cleansing at Baffle creek in a fortnight,Hugs Ron.
  • maglets
    ron50 said:

Welcome back mate,
    I am truly glad that you have 'the cabin and the north'. Just as I have the deep blue and the wild rivers. They are the earth wires for our souls. Whilst there all of the bad stuff drains away and the emotion battery gets recharged. Hope you are keeping well. I'm off for a weeks cleansing at Baffle creek in a fortnight,Hugs Ron.

Ronnie
    I shall have to look up Baffle Creek.....have no idea where it is. Have I ever told you.....I am sure I have but I am old....My all time fav biggest book Is Cooper's Creek....Ron I read it over and over.....there is something restoring about those guys marching off into the outback and dying...starving ....dying of thirst... and the battle with cancer.....

darling mate....wishing you well and bonne fishing.....the bass and salon were running at our camp this summer....

have a great week....still truckin on

mags