ADT Results on my Tenth Month of Treatment

VascodaGama
VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
ADT Results on my Tenth Month of Treatment

It is wonderful when we survivors can report on good results. My latest PSA is lower at 0.03 ng/ml.
This comes from an initial PSA=1.0 at the start of ADT in November 2010. The accomplishment is due solely to a mono blockade with the LHRH agonist Eligard 6-month depot.

The chronology of the PSA/Testosterone tests in ADT is this;
Nov’10 PSA=1.0; T=3.76
Dec’10 PSA=0.18; T=0.28
Mar’11 PSA=0.07; T=0.28
May’11 PSA=0.05 (remission)
Aug’11 PSA=0.03; T=0.28

My next Eligard injection is set for November 2011 and it would be effective for a six-month period again. My doctor (an uro-oncologist) commented this to me;

“If the PSA maintains the trend at a lower level of 0.05 until May 2012, then I will dispense you from the medication (setting me on the first “vacation” OFF-drugs). In case of any increase along this period, then you will start taking an antiagonist and the vacations from the drugs will be delayed. A PSA=2.5 is the threshold to restart a new cycle of ADT (intermittent), but no one knows if that will be needed”.

He added that; the second cycle would be done on ADT2 (double blockade) with reservations for a 5-ARI to a latter “attack” depending on the progress of my case. He believes that “micro-metastasis” was properly diagnosed to my case in 2000, with a Gs 5 (6 at present standards) and PSA=22.4.

I think that an aggressive approach on treatment from its initial administration may present better results but one cannot preview the outcome if not based on past experiences. The important, after all, may be of having “something” working in our benefit. In my second cycle I surely will add Abiraterone as the substitute for any antiandrogen.

I am on my way for an evening celebration.
The best to my friend survivors.

VGama

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Congrats and enjoy your
    Congrats and enjoy your celebration!

Do you experience any side effects with the eligard?

lewvino
  • ncobjim
    ncobjim Member Posts: 37
    Congratulations
    Great results.
    Hoping you have continued success.
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Happy
    I'm happy for you, Vasco. Another good excuse for a martini.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    I glad that you are having good results
    Thank you for the help that you are giving all at this site. You are truely doing good deeds......Thank you.
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

I glad that you are having good results
    Thank you for the help that you are giving all at this site. You are truely doing good deeds......Thank you.

My ADT side effects
    Thanks for the “crackers”. I really enjoyed the evening (and the wine). My wife drove.

Larry; ADT side effects have been numerous but mild. Some may be present but unnoticed. Fatigue has set in since the start and it has been annoying. I can manage still without the afternoon-naps., I puff now a lot when golfing (that gives me at least an excuse for the score). Muscle is there but I gained a fatty belt which could be due to age and my relax type of living. Testicles are smaller (allows the other thing to look bigger) however sex is there. Some nights I wake up three to four times to pee.
    The most typical side effect “Hot flashes” comes and goes momentarily occasionally. My red-face and sweat is mild but it is embarrassing when in conversation with strangers.
    I have not taken any medicine to counter the effects yet. I believe that my daily regimen of physical exercise and a change in some habits are helping for the positive side.

Both previous radical treatments have given me permanent side effects. RP (2000) gave me ED (it never pointed again to the two o’clock mark. I am closer to 3-4 direction in good attends), with dry ejaculations. RT (2006) superimposed its effects and gave me lost sensation (less 50%) when passing stool. I never experienced incontinence (urine or stool).
    Now at the 5-year mark post RT, still cannot associate any side effect to the late symptoms from radiation. Will they ever appear?

Thank you.

VGama
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010

My ADT side effects
    Thanks for the “crackers”. I really enjoyed the evening (and the wine). My wife drove.

Larry; ADT side effects have been numerous but mild. Some may be present but unnoticed. Fatigue has set in since the start and it has been annoying. I can manage still without the afternoon-naps., I puff now a lot when golfing (that gives me at least an excuse for the score). Muscle is there but I gained a fatty belt which could be due to age and my relax type of living. Testicles are smaller (allows the other thing to look bigger) however sex is there. Some nights I wake up three to four times to pee.
    The most typical side effect “Hot flashes” comes and goes momentarily occasionally. My red-face and sweat is mild but it is embarrassing when in conversation with strangers.
    I have not taken any medicine to counter the effects yet. I believe that my daily regimen of physical exercise and a change in some habits are helping for the positive side.

Both previous radical treatments have given me permanent side effects. RP (2000) gave me ED (it never pointed again to the two o’clock mark. I am closer to 3-4 direction in good attends), with dry ejaculations. RT (2006) superimposed its effects and gave me lost sensation (less 50%) when passing stool. I never experienced incontinence (urine or stool).
    Now at the 5-year mark post RT, still cannot associate any side effect to the late symptoms from radiation. Will they ever appear?

Thank you.

VGama

Thank you for your frank
    Thank you for your frank reply. It's others like yourself that provide us so much information. Of course I hope that I won't face ADT but firm believer in educating myself.

Early in my research two years ago I had some huge misconceptions in my mind about proton treatment. After some frank talks with my dad and others that have had proton my misconceptions were corrected!

Thanks again,

Larry (lewvino)
  • robert1
    robert1 Member Posts: 82
    lewvino said:

Thank you for your frank
    Thank you for your frank reply. It's others like yourself that provide us so much information. Of course I hope that I won't face ADT but firm believer in educating myself.

Early in my research two years ago I had some huge misconceptions in my mind about proton treatment. After some frank talks with my dad and others that have had proton my misconceptions were corrected!

Thanks again,

Larry (lewvino)

Positive News
    Hello Vasco:

That is really great news. Thank you for sharing so much of what you have learned with everyone on this discussion board.

You would probably be amazed at how many people (including me) that you have helped.

God Bless You!

robert1