a;;ergic reaction to rituxion

Hello,
I don't have cancer but my brother was diagnosed in March . And he has started his therapy with Rituxion but he is having severe reactions to the drug. He breaks out in hives, His throat closes up and he has severe joint pain and back pain. Then they have to stop the drip and give him benadryl and steriods. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to solve it.

Comments

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Rituxan
    Hi,
    I am currently doing my Rituxan Maint...infusion every other month for the next 2 years. I've completed 3 so far with the next scheduled for Aug 22nd. The only reaction I experienced was on the very first day of my chemo..(CVP-R) last August. My throat felt like it was closing, so the nurse slowed the drip down, waited 30 minutes and then started it back up. After that I never had another problem. I did 6 rounds of CVP-R with no reaction to the Rituxan(R) and so far haven't had any incidents with maint infusions. We all react differently, so as long as his doctor is aware of the situation they will come up with a solution I'm sure. Please let us know how things progress. Best wishes and I'm sending my prayers for your dear brother. Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • catwink22
    catwink22 Member Posts: 281
    Happened to me
    Hi Cmorris, sorry to hear about your brother. I've been having Rituxin therapy for almost three years now. The first one gave me hives, bad shakes and my throat was closing up. I am given Benadryl, Tylenol, Decadron (steroid) and Pepcid all *BEFORE* I get the Rituxin. The Rituxin is started as a slow drip and gradually increased over several hours. If the reaction starts I am dropped back to the drip speed before it started. After the first allergic reaction they increased the dose of Benadryl and I have not had another severe reaction. Hope this helps and I wish you and your brother the best!
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Rituxin
    Hi They will probably slow it way down and give him some meds. I had two years of Rituxin and now it is over. I hope it all works out for him. Joanie
  • cmorris
    cmorris Member Posts: 3
    catwink22 said:

Happened to me
    Hi Cmorris, sorry to hear about your brother. I've been having Rituxin therapy for almost three years now. The first one gave me hives, bad shakes and my throat was closing up. I am given Benadryl, Tylenol, Decadron (steroid) and Pepcid all *BEFORE* I get the Rituxin. The Rituxin is started as a slow drip and gradually increased over several hours. If the reaction starts I am dropped back to the drip speed before it started. After the first allergic reaction they increased the dose of Benadryl and I have not had another severe reaction. Hope this helps and I wish you and your brother the best!

Hi Catwink22,

Hi Catwink22,

They are giving the same meds to Bobby. Next month they are going to put him in the hospital for 3 days and they are going to leave the drip @ 25 per hr. and not up it at all to see if that works. will keep you posted. Cmorris.
  • cmorris
    cmorris Member Posts: 3
    JoanieP said:

Rituxin
    Hi They will probably slow it way down and give him some meds. I had two years of Rituxin and now it is over. I hope it all works out for him. Joanie

They are giving the same
    They are giving the same meds to Bobby. Next month they are going to put him in the hospital for 3 days and they are going to leave the drip @ 25 per hr. and not up it at all to see if that works. will keep you posted. Cmorris.