Cleaning for a Reason (for cancer patients)

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    What many of we 'WARRIORS' have experienced ..
    from a previous post ... page 10 of posts **submitted by Libby**

Very hit or miss
    A lot of ladies here have reported being unable to get services from Cleaning for a Reason (and me too, Renee -- if I had a nickel for every email forwarded from friends telling me "you must take advantage of this wonderful service").

Has anyone benefited from this group? Finally got all my paper work turned in and no reponse, I emailed yesterday and today was told "we are full in your area" well what areas are they NOT full in?? Kinda feeling like it was a scam!

I just emailed them...
    Libby i replied on the facebook thread about this. You know me, I cant keep my mouth shut very well when I'm bothered by something. I contacted the company, and included a link to this thread, so that they can see what we all have to say. It does seem like they are touting themselves as being such helpers & doing such a great thing, but none of us -from all over the country -have gotten their services. Participating cleaning companies do NOT get paid by Cleaning for a Reason for their services, AND they have to PAY a fee to Cleaning for a Reason to be a participating service. So it's a win/win situation for them, but the people who should be benefitting, us, aren't getting any help from them! Right before I was diagnosed, two of my friends started up a cleaning company. When I applied for cleaning help & was denied because there aren't any participating companies in my area, my friends contacted Cleaning for a Reason about participating & were told about the fees & how they work. Like someone else said, I've had countless people email me or tell me "You should check into this place, it's such a wonderful thing they do" -I always tell them exactly what I've put on here. I feel they are using the premise of helping cancer patients to make themselves look good -and that makes me mad!
    *hugs*
    Heather

response from Terry Sullivan of Cleaning for a Reason ***

Cleaning For A Reason
    Hi everyone,
    I work at the foundation and I wanted to take a minute to let you know that I have read all of your threads and I appreciate your constructive criticism. Let me try and explain our process. Unfortunately, all of you are exactly correct. We stay full. We have 1,000 maid service partners in the U.S. and Canada and they agree to take 2 cancer patients at a time and clean for free once per month for 4 months. Most of these maid services are small companies with only 3 - 6 employees and the owners pay from their pocket all expenses when they send employees to clean a cancer patients home. We don't have the luxury of picking up the phone and calling any maid service when someone applies. We are confined to the maid services who partner with us. We do wish we had thousands more who would partner with us so that we could serve more women and we are growing as rapidly as we can to accomplish that. The truth is, the demand far exceeds our capacity and most likely always will because what we do is very labor intensive. It is our desire to serve every woman who applies and that is where our heart is. Although we have cleaned more than 5,000 homes for free since our inception in 2006, our heart breaks because there are so many more just like those of you who have expressed your disappointment. We are so sorry we couldn't help. Hope my explanation helps.
    Terry
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    VickiSam said:

Very hit or miss
    A lot of ladies here have reported being unable to get services from Cleaning for a Reason (and me too, Renee -- if I had a nickel for every email forwarded from friends telling me "you must take advantage of this wonderful service").

Has anyone benefited from this group? Finally got all my paper work turned in and no reponse, I emailed yesterday and today was told "we are full in your area" well what areas are they NOT full in?? Kinda feeling like it was a scam!

I just emailed them...
    Libby i replied on the facebook thread about this. You know me, I cant keep my mouth shut very well when I'm bothered by something. I contacted the company, and included a link to this thread, so that they can see what we all have to say. It does seem like they are touting themselves as being such helpers & doing such a great thing, but none of us -from all over the country -have gotten their services. Participating cleaning companies do NOT get paid by Cleaning for a Reason for their services, AND they have to PAY a fee to Cleaning for a Reason to be a participating service. So it's a win/win situation for them, but the people who should be benefitting, us, aren't getting any help from them! Right before I was diagnosed, two of my friends started up a cleaning company. When I applied for cleaning help & was denied because there aren't any participating companies in my area, my friends contacted Cleaning for a Reason about participating & were told about the fees & how they work. Like someone else said, I've had countless people email me or tell me "You should check into this place, it's such a wonderful thing they do" -I always tell them exactly what I've put on here. I feel they are using the premise of helping cancer patients to make themselves look good -and that makes me mad!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Cleaning For A Reason
    Hi everyone,
    I work at the foundation and I wanted to take a minute to let you know that I have read all of your threads and I appreciate your constructive criticism. Let me try and explain our process. Unfortunately, all of you are exactly correct. We stay full. We have 1,000 maid service partners in the U.S. and Canada and they agree to take 2 cancer patients at a time and clean for free once per month for 4 months. Most of these maid services are small companies with only 3 - 6 employees and the owners pay from their pocket all expenses when they send employees to clean a cancer patients home. We don't have the luxury of picking up the phone and calling any maid service when someone applies. We are confined to the maid services who partner with us. We do wish we had thousands more who would partner with us so that we could serve more women and we are growing as rapidly as we can to accomplish that. The truth is, the demand far exceeds our capacity and most likely always will because what we do is very labor intensive. It is our desire to serve every woman who applies and that is where our heart is. Although we have cleaned more than 5,000 homes for free since our inception in 2006, our heart breaks because there are so many more just like those of you who have expressed your disappointment. We are so sorry we couldn't help. Hope my explanation helps.
    Terry

Thats ok...I wouldve had to
    Thats ok...I wouldve had to clean house first! But my nurse at the local hospital did tell me she could hook me up if i needed a maid.....
    Renee
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    renee616 said:

Thats ok...I wouldve had to
    Thats ok...I wouldve had to clean house first! But my nurse at the local hospital did tell me she could hook me up if i needed a maid.....
    Renee

you and your sister are both adorable, and as I am sensing both very positive. Glad she is on this site if she has to be a pink sister!!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    VickiSam said:

Very hit or miss

I just emailed them...
    *hugs*
    Heather

Cleaning For A Reason
    Hi everyone,
    Terry

Vicki Sam, Thanks for reposting this
    as I have only heard the same thing that they are all full, but their companies are posted in all the newsletters. So I guess they get paid for free advertizing and I am sure that a lot of the people who do call, end up signing up for paid services, so it does seem like a great set-up for the cleaning company! Free advertizing, great reputation (for helping us poor cancer patients), and increased business!

Luckily, I am blessed with 2 sons a daughter-in-law, and my other sons girlfriend all who help out when they are baby-sitting me following chemo. They all do a really good job! I am so comfortable with DIL and girlfriend, and one really good friend of mine. They have seen me this through since the diagnosis and always seem to show up at the right time. They are my cleaning for cancer crew! lol with love!

~Carol
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    yeah, haven't heard of any
    yeah, haven't heard of any success stories regarding this organization. But kudos if you can get some help from them :)
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

yeah, haven't heard of any success stories regarding this organization. But kudos if you can get some help from them :)

Good Luck!
    The post from the previous discussion says it all. They're also not in a lot of areas. Not sure what's up with that. If they really want to provide a service why do they charge a fee to join. How many businesses pay a few to join a service listing when they then give the service away?
    Hope you can get some help if you try this!
  • mruczko
    mruczko Member Posts: 110

Cleaning for a Reason
    In late fall of 2009 I contacted them after hearing from everybody, incl. my minister, to make sure I avail myself of this wonderful service. Well, duh, I never got through even though I tried for weeks, and after dirt accumulated all around me, I decided to get the neighbor's cleaning service and pay for it.
    Marlene
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    mruczko said:

Cleaning for a Reason
    In late fall of 2009 I contacted them after hearing from everybody, incl. my minister, to make sure I avail myself of this wonderful service. Well, duh, I never got through even though I tried for weeks, and after dirt accumulated all around me, I decided to get the neighbor's cleaning service and pay for it.
    Marlene

my house was cleaned for me!!
    Hi All. I was trying to get in touch with them or a while and they sent me the forms, which I finally got my surgeon to sign for me...and they called a week later and the cleaning co. said we can come this Monday or in 3 weeks...what is better for you??

So this past Monday they came and cleaned...they had 3 ladies come for 1.5 hours...they didn't get to my whole house as it's big, but they did a great job and a lot more than I would have been able to do.

I just had a hysterectomy on Tuesday (yesterday) so I can't do anything for a few weeks, so it was perfect timing...

They will come 3 more times - once a month...and I'm so happy for this!!

Anyway, I just thought I'd say that they do come through...

Good luck all.