Recurrent cervical cancer symptoms

I had cervical cancer in 2004. I had a radical hysterectomy, disection of lymph nodes and removal of the upper potion of the vagina and six weeks of chemo and 30 radiation treatments because after surgery the margins weren't clear. I was suppose to have 36 radiation treatments and internal radiation but I stopped short, long story, my decision. I also moved to another state and have not been as confident with my new doctor. What are the symptoms of recurrent cervical cancer? I just found this site and wish I had many years ago. Doctors don't seem to help with what happens after the surgery and radiation. I'm just trying to figure out if the pain and soreness from my stomach area, massive lower back pain and a host of other issues are from radiation or something else. My doctor just said it is probably scar tissue and I would have to live with it. I'm sure it is just me being paranoid.

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Hi Libby,
    I'm three years

Hi Libby,
    I'm three years out from tx and dealing with the same issues. The docs tell me the same thing about the abd. pain...scar tissue and adhesions. Nothing they can do. I recently had a bone scan which shows osteoporosis in my spine and hips...due to radiation tx? Now dealing with nodules in my thyroid and an adenoma on one of my parathyroids.
    If you don't feel comfortable with your doc, get a second opinion. Have you had a CT recently?
    ((HUGS))
  • Libby24
    Libby24 Member Posts: 4
    beckyracn said:

Hi Libby,
    I'm three years

Hi Libby,
    I'm three years out from tx and dealing with the same issues. The docs tell me the same thing about the abd. pain...scar tissue and adhesions. Nothing they can do. I recently had a bone scan which shows osteoporosis in my spine and hips...due to radiation tx? Now dealing with nodules in my thyroid and an adenoma on one of my parathyroids.
    If you don't feel comfortable with your doc, get a second opinion. Have you had a CT recently?
    ((HUGS))

Doctor stopped everything but a pap in 2009
    I really appreciate the response. I never know what is normal or what is normal after radiation and what I should be concerned about. No, they stopped doing chest x-rays and CT in 2009 at the five year mark. I do have Osteoporosis in my spine that could be the lower back pain. I'm just concerned becuase I use to have pain a few days every other month now it is every day, it even hurts when I breath. The doctor didn't seem that concerned when I saw him, he is really hard to talk to. I usually don't worry so much about this but the constant pain is getting harder to live with. I can't take pain med and work and don't like taking it anyway. I think I will try to find another doctor, I should have done it a long time ago. I ran medical practices for fifteen years and have seen both good and bad doc's and should have been more pro active with my care. Thanks so much.
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Libby24 said:

Doctor stopped everything but a pap in 2009
    I really appreciate the response. I never know what is normal or what is normal after radiation and what I should be concerned about. No, they stopped doing chest x-rays and CT in 2009 at the five year mark. I do have Osteoporosis in my spine that could be the lower back pain. I'm just concerned becuase I use to have pain a few days every other month now it is every day, it even hurts when I breath. The doctor didn't seem that concerned when I saw him, he is really hard to talk to. I usually don't worry so much about this but the constant pain is getting harder to live with. I can't take pain med and work and don't like taking it anyway. I think I will try to find another doctor, I should have done it a long time ago. I ran medical practices for fifteen years and have seen both good and bad doc's and should have been more pro active with my care. Thanks so much.

I sure hope you find the
    I sure hope you find the right help out there and figure this thing out. I had to get really pushy with my GP last week and she finally broke. I kept at her years ago that something was amiss with my body and the paps kept coming up clean so all the symptoms of cancer where ignored. When they found it, it was advanced...she broke down and cried. She tried blowing things off again this time and a thyroid scan shows five nodules, an enlarged thyroid, and a probable adenoma. Knew it wasn't in my head!
  • Libby24
    Libby24 Member Posts: 4
    beckyracn said:

I sure hope you find the
    I sure hope you find the right help out there and figure this thing out. I had to get really pushy with my GP last week and she finally broke. I kept at her years ago that something was amiss with my body and the paps kept coming up clean so all the symptoms of cancer where ignored. When they found it, it was advanced...she broke down and cried. She tried blowing things off again this time and a thyroid scan shows five nodules, an enlarged thyroid, and a probable adenoma. Knew it wasn't in my head!

In Dec 2004
    In Dec 2003 when I had a check up and then a procedure because lab cinIII before changing jobs I never heard back from my doctor regarding the path results. I called a few times to get results and to see if I needed a follow up appointment and was always told the file is on the doc's office or the nurse was not in and they would leave a message. So, I gave up just expecting if there was a problem the doctor would call. At the end of January, I got a call from the nurse out of the blue, telling me I needed surgery right away a D&C it would not wait. She was going to mail me the information and call me right back when the procedure was scheduled. I didn't hear back from her and never received anything. I thought she had just called the wrong person and realized her mistake. I was never able to speak to the doctor. Another three weeks goes by an friend convinced me to see another local doctor, I did and next thing I know I was referred to UNC to see an onocologist. A couple of weeks later after multipe test the doctor from UNC calls to tell me I have cancer and should have a hysterectomy quickly this was in early March. The strange thing was about fifteen minutes after he hung up the nurse from the original doctor calls and apologises for not getting back to me sooner and wanted to schedule the D&C a procedure that she said should be done immediately but now it is over a month later. Dr Fowler at UNC had told me that her not calling me back was the best thing that could have happened. If I had done the D&C he thinks it would have been much later when they discovered cancer. So their incompetence was actually good. So after a radical hysterectomy, removal of the upper portion of the vagina, radiation and chemo all I can say is doctors are like anyone in any job, some or better than others. I never heard from the ob/gyn that let things slide so bad, no follow up, no apology, no call to see how I was doing, nothing. She has now opened a new clinic near the beach in NC, I hope she is a better more focused and organized doctor than she was when I was a patient.