Food ideas???

I haven't been this sick to my stomach since I was pregnant. I've had lots of different chemos but holy moly!! If I eat one more bowl of soup, eat one more cracker or taste one more turkey sandwich I KNOW I will barf. What foods have helped you through the nausea? I take anti-nausea meds but they just don't help, I still get sick and while I don't puke a large amount (sorry TMI) I just have to get the relief off my stomach. I called today to see about skipping chemo this week (oh course not) and they said to start steroids after treatments for two days. Yuck...but if it helps then I will do it. Meanwhile I am starving while my stomach is upset!! Crazy but please help.

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    well i really didnt tolerate
    well i really didnt tolerate anything much, but someone recommended ginger tea. I ate fish, baked potatoe. and lipton noodle soup. For some reason I liked the chicken noodle soup at panera. toast. I ate bites. I hope others have bettet suggestions.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    There is no rhyme or reason
    There is no rhyme or reason as to what food will or won't work for us, sadly. Trial and error. Right now I am drinking the envelopes of French Vanilla Carnation Instant breakfast ( the ready-made bottles are vile!!) so as not to lose muscle mass in addition to weight. I sometimes drink it as is, sometimes I add a scoop of coffee ice cream to it, or a splash of coffee and even a bit of Hershey's syrup, just to alter the taste and to ( yeah right!) fake my body into thinking I am at Starbucks! I also like the natural fruit-laden popsicles..liquid and fruit. Can't hurt, might help. Ditto frozen grapes and little squares of cheese. And some days~ none of that tastes good!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    chenheart said:

There is no rhyme or reason
    There is no rhyme or reason as to what food will or won't work for us, sadly. Trial and error. Right now I am drinking the envelopes of French Vanilla Carnation Instant breakfast ( the ready-made bottles are vile!!) so as not to lose muscle mass in addition to weight. I sometimes drink it as is, sometimes I add a scoop of coffee ice cream to it, or a splash of coffee and even a bit of Hershey's syrup, just to alter the taste and to ( yeah right!) fake my body into thinking I am at Starbucks! I also like the natural fruit-laden popsicles..liquid and fruit. Can't hurt, might help. Ditto frozen grapes and little squares of cheese. And some days~ none of that tastes good!

On my first chemo go round...
    I lost my taste buds for6-7 days....experimented with foods...one thing that really worked for me was watermelon...cold...plus it added to my fluid intake...and cherry Popsicles.....

For the nausea here's what worked for me.....as prescribed by my Oncoligist....I had my chemo on Monday's...starting the day before, on Sunday, I started with the steroids and the anti nausea drug Zofran...these were continued for 3 days AFTER chemo....I was religious with taking the anti nausea meds! Never missed a single dose....I never had the first wave of nausea.....it's easier to prevent nausea than get it under control once it starts.....I start the oral chemo Xeloda tomorrow morning..already taken my anti nausea meds.....and will agin as soon as I get up.....

Wishing you better days..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    MAJW said:

On my first chemo go round...
    I lost my taste buds for6-7 days....experimented with foods...one thing that really worked for me was watermelon...cold...plus it added to my fluid intake...and cherry Popsicles.....

For the nausea here's what worked for me.....as prescribed by my Oncoligist....I had my chemo on Monday's...starting the day before, on Sunday, I started with the steroids and the anti nausea drug Zofran...these were continued for 3 days AFTER chemo....I was religious with taking the anti nausea meds! Never missed a single dose....I never had the first wave of nausea.....it's easier to prevent nausea than get it under control once it starts.....I start the oral chemo Xeloda tomorrow morning..already taken my anti nausea meds.....and will agin as soon as I get up.....

Wishing you better days..
    Hugs, Nancy

I found that each day was
    I found that each day was different when it came to eating. Some of the foods that I loved before would make me squeamish one day and then a few days later I could eat them.
    My favorite thing was Hoodsie Popsicles. I know that's not food but the cold in my mouth and throat was sooo good. These are the ones who come in Banana and Root Beer and they were the only 2 that I ate.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281

I found that each day was different when it came to eating. Some of the foods that I loved before would make me squeamish one day and then a few days later I could eat them.
    My favorite thing was Hoodsie Popsicles. I know that's not food but the cold in my mouth and throat was sooo good. These are the ones who come in Banana and Root Beer and they were the only 2 that I ate.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

I agree,I could tolerate
    I agree,I could tolerate more food some days than others;
    but I could usually always eat instant oatmeal,jello,toast,
    popsicles,baked or mashed potatoes with butter and hot tea
    and orange gatorade. Good luck sorting through what will
    stay down. Keep hydrated!

Hugs,
    Teresa
  • gami43

Hugs,
    Wanda

I agree,I could tolerate

Hugs,
    Teresa
  • gami43

Hugs,
    Wanda

I agree,I could tolerate

Hugs,
    Teresa
  • gami43 said:

I agree,I could tolerate

Hugs,
    Teresa

Thanks
    I got up very early this morning and drank an Instant Breakfast....those seem tolerable. I love bomb pops too so that's good. I managed a couple bites of my son's birthday cake! I will be interested to see how adding the steriods works with the food. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Ice cream and Dad's
    Ice cream and Dad's Chocolate Chip cookies took me through chemo. I tried to eat well but in the end I needed to just eat...besides, some chemo's work by being a pro-oxidant so I figured I was helping it out :) Eat whatever you can and I'm not sure what anti-nausea meds you have but there may be another type to try. There are many Rx drugs for this. I used ginger to help but it took me a long time to like ginger again after using it during chemo.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    HMMM
    For me it was a wendys plain baked potato and or a plain toasted bagel with a little spray butter. On bad day's that was about all I could tolerate. Hope you get to feeling better really soon~
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    oh yeah
    Baked potatoes, in the microwave, jello~popsicles~ice cream~everyting else, I just couldn't get past the smell. Although I don't think I will every eat another bowl of soup on purpose, or ever eat jello again, it got me through it...the popsicles helped me not to become dehydrated. Hope that helps. Sinee
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Dairy Queens Ice Cream Cake
    Dairy Queens Ice Cream Cake :) I would eat a whole cake in a week :) Right now I'm into a light toasted plain bagel with cream cheese, fried egg, slice of cheddar cheese, turkey, and butter, mmmm mmmm good. But my taste buds and what my stomach will tolerate changes daily. Another thing that sits well with me, toast with butter, peanut butter and sliced banana on top. Hope you find something that works and I'll keep you in my prayers.
    ~Kari
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    food ideas
    Ensure in the banana creme flavor. You could use a blender to put in ice cream and/or ice.

I love chocolate, but avoid it during times of nausea. Hope you have gotten some good ideas!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    For me it was the bland
    For me it was the bland foods that worked...plain pasta, plain rice, plain potatoes...sometimes with a little salt. I also liked fresh stone fruits, and did the carnation instant breakfast too. For me, I didn't try to eat well, or to plan meals, or even to eat with my family (I would sit at the table if I could). If my stomach was empty, and something appealed to me I ate it. But I did find that the less processed a food was, the better it tasted...homemade soup was much better than canned soup, etc.

I hope you find some new things that work for you.

Hugs,

Linda