Mom has stage 4 lung cancer, spread to adrenal gland

Hope4Marge
Hope4Marge Member Posts: 74
Hi, I am looking for support from others who have or have loved ones with lung cancer, stage 4. My mother found out she had this the day before Thanksgiving in 2010, with two tumors on one lung and a few lymph nodes infected. She immediatley had 8 weeks radiation and chemo treatments, however, the cancer has since spread to one of her adrenal glands. She was tested to see if she was a match for some other drugs, but unfortunatley she was not a match. She has also been advised that surgery would not help. She will start chemo again on July 28th. I am so sorry for all who fight this horrible disease. My father just had Melanoma two years ago, and now mom is fighting. I just joined this network and hope that I will be able to meet others on this road for advice and comfort.

Comments

• lms1616
    lms1616 Member Posts: 11
    I completely understand what
    I completely understand what you are going through. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 3 weeks ago and my entire family is devastated. I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but I think coming to this site may help you get through what's ahead. Just reading some of the success stories makes me feel like she has a fighting chance. I pray every moment of every day that she will be strong enough to get through chemo and still have some quality time left with all of us. My mom, too, was tested for some specific drugs for her cancer, but she didn't have the right markers that would make her compatable. If you ever need to vent please just send me a message. I think that sometimes it's easier to vent to a stranger than a loved one. I'll say some prayers for your mom.

Lisa
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    To both of you, Hope and Ims
    Just a little heads-up - I tested negative for the EGFR mutation that makes Tarceva a good possibility for treatment. I've now been on it since early in 2009 because my oncologist thought it was worth a try anyway, and he was right! Just keep the possibility open :)
  • blueeyes220
    blueeyes220 Member Posts: 5

Just a little heads-up - I tested negative for the EGFR mutation that makes Tarceva a good possibility for treatment. I've now been on it since early in 2009 because my oncologist thought it was worth a try anyway, and he was right! Just keep the possibility open :)

my mom has stage 4 lung cancer with mets to liver
    hopetomarg My mom was diagnosed in March of this year. The cancer is on her adrenal glands also. My mom is 82 and has been a smoker most of her life. This is so hard to watch her be so sick. She has taken 3 chemo treatments and the tumor on her right lung has shrunk. She is really having a tough time accepting this and is lashing out at her kids. There are 5 of us kids left and we are trying to support her as much as we can even though it hurts all of us so badly. I just hope and pray she will enjoy the time she has left. She lost a Sister last year and a daughter this last February so she is really depressed a lot. We do the best we can. Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope her treatment goes well for her. God bless
  • Hope4Marge
    lms1616 said:

I completely understand what
    I completely understand what you are going through. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 3 weeks ago and my entire family is devastated. I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but I think coming to this site may help you get through what's ahead. Just reading some of the success stories makes me feel like she has a fighting chance. I pray every moment of every day that she will be strong enough to get through chemo and still have some quality time left with all of us. My mom, too, was tested for some specific drugs for her cancer, but she didn't have the right markers that would make her compatable. If you ever need to vent please just send me a message. I think that sometimes it's easier to vent to a stranger than a loved one. I'll say some prayers for your mom.

Lisa

Thank you
    It's very scary- we have tried to remain positive. She starts more rounds of chemo today and will have it every 3 weeks. I think you are right that sometimes strangers are easier to vent to, as I don't want to be a burden to my friends and coworkers who can not relate. I am thankful to have found this forum. I am sorry to hear about your mom. Help keep her positive and fighting. That seems to go a long way.
  • Hope4Marge

Tarceva
    Hi, Staying Calm ~ So you were able to take the drug even though you were negative for the mutation? My mom's doctor counted that as not an option since she was not a match. I agree it's worth a try! What stage are you?
  • Hope4Marge

my mom has stage 4 lung cancer with mets to liver
    hopetomarg My mom was diagnosed in March of this year. The cancer is on her adrenal glands also. My mom is 82 and has been a smoker most of her life. This is so hard to watch her be so sick. She has taken 3 chemo treatments and the tumor on her right lung has shrunk. She is really having a tough time accepting this and is lashing out at her kids. There are 5 of us kids left and we are trying to support her as much as we can even though it hurts all of us so badly. I just hope and pray she will enjoy the time she has left. She lost a Sister last year and a daughter this last February so she is really depressed a lot. We do the best we can. Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope her treatment goes well for her. God bless

Blue Eyes, So Sorry
    I am sorry to hear about your Mom. My mom was a smoker most of her adult life - she is now in her 70s but what is sad is she had stopped smoking twenty years ago, but I imagine the damage had already been done. The only "good" (and I use that word lightly) is that my 9 year old daughter knows how bad smoking is and that her Grandma is living proof that it is not good for you. I see young kids smoke these days and I want to just smack it out of their hands. I have never smoked and I don't know what the addiction feels like, but I would imagine that temporary withdrawls from stopping smoking is much easier than what our loved ones are going through now. Peace to you and your family. Sounds like you are all doing exactly what you should for her.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member

Tarceva
    Hi, Staying Calm ~ So you were able to take the drug even though you were negative for the mutation? My mom's doctor counted that as not an option since she was not a match. I agree it's worth a try! What stage are you?

Sorry I took so long getting back to you -
    I was in the hospital with pain issues, I think they now have scans of everything except the soles of my feet!
    I'm not really sure what stage I'm at; the lung cancer seems to be in remission and any brain mets are stable or diminishing, so, maybe 3b? I know there are other people who have had success with it despite testing negative. I also tested negative for the ALK mutation, but my doctor thinks I still may have a chance with Crizotinib, anyway. I do understand that most doctors wouldn't want to waste their patients time with a drug that might not work, however...

Wishing your mom and you the best!
    stayingcalm
  • lareeone
    lareeone Member Posts: 1
    Your comment hit home
    My mother was just diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and it has spread to her adrenal gland also. We found all of this out within the past month. I live in Missouri and my Mom is in Maryland, but since finding this out I have been at Mom's house since the first of July and will be staying here to help out as long as she needs me. I also have 2 terrific brothers who are here too. We are waiting for a call from the nurse to get her set up for chemotherapy. Mom was going to be in a trial study, but we found out yesterday that she doesn't qualify because her kidney function levels are abnormal. I hope to stay in touch with you and others on here to help us through our journey.
  • smneider
    smneider Member Posts: 20
    Hi Hope4MArge. My Mom was
    Hi Hope4MArge. My Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in late July. It has spread to other places as well.She is only 68 years old. She has eaten right her entire life, exercised, done all mammograms, colon tests, etc. drank the green tea, etc., etc. etc. It is just so unbelievable she has this because she looks so healthy. She started radiation on Monday, her birthday. She is only doing radiation this week. Then she starts Chemo. Still waiting to see if she qualifies for Tarceva. We live in Houston so MD Anderson is on our backyard and they have been wonderful and so positive with her. Keeping a positive mental attitude seems to be a major key in fighting this disease. I too am looking for support from others. I would be happy to exchange email addresses with you. Mine is sneider@mac.com. Take care.
  • Hope4Marge
    lareeone said:

Your comment hit home
    My mother was just diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and it has spread to her adrenal gland also. We found all of this out within the past month. I live in Missouri and my Mom is in Maryland, but since finding this out I have been at Mom's house since the first of July and will be staying here to help out as long as she needs me. I also have 2 terrific brothers who are here too. We are waiting for a call from the nurse to get her set up for chemotherapy. Mom was going to be in a trial study, but we found out yesterday that she doesn't qualify because her kidney function levels are abnormal. I hope to stay in touch with you and others on here to help us through our journey.

Thank you for writing. I
    Thank you for writing. I trust that in the past few days you've learned more about the help that you can get for your mom? It is a scary time, I understand what you are going through. I live in the same town as mom- that is so nice of you to be by her side even though I imagine it isn't easy to be away from your home. Please keep me posted on her progress and keep her positive.
  • Hope4Marge
    smneider said:

Hi Hope4MArge. My Mom was
    Hi Hope4MArge. My Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in late July. It has spread to other places as well.She is only 68 years old. She has eaten right her entire life, exercised, done all mammograms, colon tests, etc. drank the green tea, etc., etc. etc. It is just so unbelievable she has this because she looks so healthy. She started radiation on Monday, her birthday. She is only doing radiation this week. Then she starts Chemo. Still waiting to see if she qualifies for Tarceva. We live in Houston so MD Anderson is on our backyard and they have been wonderful and so positive with her. Keeping a positive mental attitude seems to be a major key in fighting this disease. I too am looking for support from others. I would be happy to exchange email addresses with you. Mine is sneider@mac.com. Take care.

Nice to meet you, even if it
    Nice to meet you, even if it has to be under these circumstances. Our moms are very similar in age. I would love to hear that she qualifies for Tarceva, as I understand that it has a high cure rate. Keep me posted and thank you for your email!