Need some input Sisters..who's taking or took Zeloda?

MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
I will start this on Tuesday....same day I start rads...again..to shrink these two clavicle nodes....so doing both rads and taking Zeloda...

I would appreciate any info ....the oncology pharmacy where it is being sent from spoke with me today and went over a lot of info...but I would like to hear first hand from anyone who has or is taking this......I know we're all different and react differently.....

Thanks in advance, sweet ones!
Hugs, Nancy

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Bump...Duh here
    Bump up...come on sisters.....help me out here.....lol.

The chemo drug is Xeloda....wasn't sure of the spelling until it came today..

Hugs, Nancy
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hi Nancy, I think I replied
    Hi Nancy, I think I replied to you on this once before, but I could be wrong, I do have chemo brain :) Anyhow, I took Xeloda (spelled with an X but makes a Z sound) for 5 months and here's my experience.
    It was ok for the most part, I really enjoyed not losing my hair, you won't with Xeloda. The worst side effects I experienced were occasional diarrhea, hand/foot syndrome, and ringing in my ears. The hand foot syndrome can get really severe so watch close for that, and take good care of your paws, I kept them out of hot water as much as possible. The ringing in my ears drove me crazy when I was trying to get to sleep, but sleeping pills took care of that temporarily. I hope everything goes well for you and I hope this helps some. Also, this medication is VERY expensive, my insurance covered well, but some companies aren't so good with it. They do have a prescription co-pay assistance card as well that picks up 80% of your co-pay. My Xeloda ran $4500.00 a month, and I only had to pay $120.00 I'm not fully awake right now so I know I'm forgetting things but if I think of them, I'll add to your post.
    Keep the Faith,
    Kari
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

Hi Nancy, I think I replied
    Hi Nancy, I think I replied to you on this once before, but I could be wrong, I do have chemo brain :) Anyhow, I took Xeloda (spelled with an X but makes a Z sound) for 5 months and here's my experience.
    It was ok for the most part, I really enjoyed not losing my hair, you won't with Xeloda. The worst side effects I experienced were occasional diarrhea, hand/foot syndrome, and ringing in my ears. The hand foot syndrome can get really severe so watch close for that, and take good care of your paws, I kept them out of hot water as much as possible. The ringing in my ears drove me crazy when I was trying to get to sleep, but sleeping pills took care of that temporarily. I hope everything goes well for you and I hope this helps some. Also, this medication is VERY expensive, my insurance covered well, but some companies aren't so good with it. They do have a prescription co-pay assistance card as well that picks up 80% of your co-pay. My Xeloda ran $4500.00 a month, and I only had to pay $120.00 I'm not fully awake right now so I know I'm forgetting things but if I think of them, I'll add to your post.
    Keep the Faith,
    Kari

I am also curious to see how others did with Xeloda
    I am now scheduled (tentatively) to start my radiation along with Xeloda for additional "oomph!" on Aug 15. That is provided that my drain ever comes out, still in almost one month after surgery, if I can get the drain out on MOnday which I am really hoping then I can go in Tuesday for the tatoos and then start the radiation and Xeloda. I also got the scary packet with all the side effects, whoo hoo, sounds like fun. I already had FU 5 with my FEC treatment (same drug as Xeloda) but apparently, different side effects when taken in tablet form.

Yes, expensive! Thank God for our insurance - co-pay was $80 on $5000 worth of pills!!!! Is that insane or what?

Nancy, please let us know how that goes for you.

Laura
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    MAJW said:

Bump...Duh here
    Bump up...come on sisters.....help me out here.....lol.

The chemo drug is Xeloda....wasn't sure of the spelling until it came today..

Hugs, Nancy

I wish I could help you with
    I wish I could help you with some info, but, I know nothing of this Nancy.

Wishing you good luck on it!