A Milestone Day

jessiesmom1
jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
Good Morning to all the Pink Warriors!

In any breast cancer journey there are milestone days: the day you receive your diagnosis, the day of your mastectomy/lumpectomy, port implantation day, Chemo #1,day you shave your head, day of final chemo, Rad #1, reconstruction day, etc. Well today, is the ONE YEAR anniversary of my final chemo infusion. To say the last 2 years has been eventful would be an understatement. I was going to send an email about this big day to my friends and family but when I opened my email I thought,"No, they won't get it. They will just think I should move on." So I decided to post here instead. I knew that only those of us who have made this journey will really "get it." Even my husband (who is a colon cancer survivor) doesn't truly get it I think. Last night at dinner I told him that today was a big day for me and I would be celebrating by not cooking dinner. How can you argue with that? We will be dining out at the restaurant of my choice tonight. One of our 2 college students will even be joining us!

Thanks for listening.

IRENE

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    @Irene: I totally get it..I
    @Irene: I totally get it..I have said even to hubby..oh today is 3 years since ended radiation or this month (AUG) 3 yr since started TAmoxifen...like you said UNLESS you have been there..you don't really get it..

my biggest milestone to ME persoanlly is my last day of radiation..ONLY date that really sticks in my head...

so HAPPY anniversary!

Denise
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

@Irene: I totally get it..I
    @Irene: I totally get it..I have said even to hubby..oh today is 3 years since ended radiation or this month (AUG) 3 yr since started TAmoxifen...like you said UNLESS you have been there..you don't really get it..

my biggest milestone to ME persoanlly is my last day of radiation..ONLY date that really sticks in my head...

so HAPPY anniversary!

Denise

Irene, for me, nothing is too small to celebrate anymore!
    You have a definite right to celebrate and be joyful. Look at all you've been through--you did it and you're moving on. I'm not too good at remembering all my dates exactly, but I do remember the month and year of each milestone!

To me, just seeing my dog wagging his tail or seeing a pretty flower outside is cause for celebration!

Happy anniversary and wishing you many, many more.

Hugs, Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Happy end of chemo anniversary!!
    Hard not to remember these milestones....I hope you live so long you forget them all!

Enjoy your dinner out,

Jennifer
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Happy 1st Anniversary
    Glad you shared your milestone with us. I love celebrating - maybe I'll go out to dinner and help you celebrate. Enjoy!!

Hugs,
    Debi
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    debi.18 said:

Happy 1st Anniversary
    Glad you shared your milestone with us. I love celebrating - maybe I'll go out to dinner and help you celebrate. Enjoy!!

Hugs,
    Debi

Happy Anniversary!
    Every milestone is an important one. I have a chart of all those dates too. My husband tried to argue with me about one and I reminded him that I would never forget those, no matter how bad teh chemo brain got - I have them all written down. Celebrate to your heart's content!!!!!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Happy Anniversary Irene!! I
    Happy Anniversary Irene!! I was just thinking about that today in a couple more months I will be celebrating a year also. Congratulations Enjoy you night out to dinner.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Happy Anniversary Irene!! I
    Happy Anniversary Irene!! I was just thinking about that today in a couple more months I will be celebrating a year also. Congratulations Enjoy you night out to dinner.

Celebrate!
    And hope you have a wonderful, delicious dinner!
    Hugs, Nancy

Ps...we DO GET IT!
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Congrats!
    Have a wonderful dinner!

Cindy
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Irene,
    There is nothing like putting time between us and whatever it is that we'd wished hadn't happened. I'm so glad that you can celebrate this milestone - have a wonderful dinner!

Sue
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    A milestone day...woo hoo!
    A milestone day...woo hoo! Anymore those days mean alot to us...so just cuz your friends or family members dont get it...we do and at least they will celebrate with you anyway...have a great dinner!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

A milestone day...woo hoo!
    A milestone day...woo hoo! Anymore those days mean alot to us...so just cuz your friends or family members dont get it...we do and at least they will celebrate with you anyway...have a great dinner!

I have several 'milestone' celebrations each year ..
    Personally, I don't find them silly or unnecessary. They are a cause for celebration, joy and dinners out.

As you stated ... Only those that walked in our heels, know the suffering, anxiety, dark hours or days that we have endured.

Celebrate ..

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

I have several 'milestone' celebrations each year ..
    Personally, I don't find them silly or unnecessary. They are a cause for celebration, joy and dinners out.

As you stated ... Only those that walked in our heels, know the suffering, anxiety, dark hours or days that we have endured.

Celebrate ..

Vicki Sam

Heck yeah celebrate away!
    Heck yeah celebrate away! congrats!
  • Vigee
    Vigee Member Posts: 66
    YAY!
    Congratulations!!!

<3
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    Dear Irene,

You are absolutely correct. No one understands except your sisters. You told the right people by posting. Good for you in stating that you were not cooking, that you were having dinner at a restaurant of your choice, and that one of your children would be joining us. Celibrate as many times as you can and do it often.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    I Knew You Would Get It
    Thank you so much for your support. I knew you would all understand what these milestone days mean to us. My husband had colon cancer 4 years ago and said to me last night, "I don't see why this is such a big deal to you. I don't remind you each year of MY last chemo." Well, he did not have a visible body part amputated. Nor did he have 2 follow-up surgeries to fix up the part that was removed! Oh well. I should not have expected him to understand - maybe just a LITTLE more empathy.

The Pink Warriors rock!

IRENE
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    missrenee said:

Irene, for me, nothing is too small to celebrate anymore!
    You have a definite right to celebrate and be joyful. Look at all you've been through--you did it and you're moving on. I'm not too good at remembering all my dates exactly, but I do remember the month and year of each milestone!

To me, just seeing my dog wagging his tail or seeing a pretty flower outside is cause for celebration!

Happy anniversary and wishing you many, many more.

Hugs, Renee

Happy anniversary!
    Happy anniversary!