Good results, 3 weeks post op, feel great, what next?

iluvmykids
iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
Hello everyone, I meant to get back on here soon after we got the results, but life happens and I just never got the opportunity. Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since my lumpectomy, the results: grade 1, stage .05, clear margins, two lymph nodes were clear. Woo hoo, I am estrogen and progesterone positive and negative on that other one (can't remember it). Doc said it was the best possible lab results considering it's cancer. I see a medical oncologist on the 12th the radiation oncologist on the 17th. They told us that chemo was a question mark, hence the medical oncologist - but they did say that they thought intravenous chemo would be overkill.

So 6 weeks of radiation for sure, then 5 years of tamoxifen, oral chemo we don't know yet. I feel really good, finally got on my bike again yesterday and felt just like I was "normal" again. Since being diagnosed in June, this has consumed my summer and now it's almost over (summer that is). Well, I can do without this awful heat anyway - it was an excuse to stay in the AC.

So how about advice, experiences, etc. with radiation and tamoxifen? I feel so good right now, I don't want that to change, but I know that is unrealistic, especially after reading other posts. Please share anything you've experienced and what I may expect.

Thanks so much for being here!

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Hiya...
    Congrats on clean numbers. I agree with your MO considering it's cancer you sure couldn't have done any better. I just finished radiation about a month ago, I did six and a half weeks. I burned in places but now I am sporting a nice suntan glow. Radiation can zap your energy, especially once you hit the half way point and beyond. Not terribly bad though, so don't get yourself worried too much. Just nap when the kids do...LOL

As far as Tamoxifen, I just started two weeks ago. So far so good, no side effect yet, but as I am sure you've read up on joint pain and hot flashes are two common ones. I am so glad you have rebounded so nicely... Keep up the exercising it definitely helps with recovery.

Congrats again,
    Lorrie
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Good news
    Congrats on your results. It sounds like they caught everything early and you're on the right track. I haven't started rads or tamoxifen yet, so I can't offer any advise. Just wanted to wish you good luck - keep that positive attitude!!

Hugs,
    Debi~
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    debi.18 said:

Good news
    Congrats on your results. It sounds like they caught everything early and you're on the right track. I haven't started rads or tamoxifen yet, so I can't offer any advise. Just wanted to wish you good luck - keep that positive attitude!!

Hugs,
    Debi~

Glad to hear your good news
    Rest and get ready. I finished rads March 30 and didn't burn until week 5. Just do everything the way they tell you and pick up some men's white t-shirts to wear inside out under your clothes. They protect your good stuff from the creams and stains and inside out means the seams won't rub the rads area. Rest when you need to!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    skipper54 said:

Glad to hear your good news
    Rest and get ready. I finished rads March 30 and didn't burn until week 5. Just do everything the way they tell you and pick up some men's white t-shirts to wear inside out under your clothes. They protect your good stuff from the creams and stains and inside out means the seams won't rub the rads area. Rest when you need to!

Great news
    As far as the rads--mine went really well. I got pink towards the end, but no sores or blisters. I used the creams religiously--even before I got pink. I did experience a good deal of fatigue especially in the last couple of weeks. Many days I'd come home, lay on the couch with my pup and take a nice nap.

No help with Tamox.--I'm on Arimidex. Good luck to you with your treatment.

Hugs, Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Finished rads, on Tamoxifen
    Must say that I had to have a "time out" due to burning and rads took 8 weeks instead of 6 1/2 but that was 4 weeks ago and is starting to fade to a memory. I actually gained energy all through rads and was feeling better even with the burn than I had for quite a while (I did chemo).

I take my Tamoxifen at night because I thought it was making me nauseous and have experienced some hot flashes but I was flashing during chemo too so that isn't new.After nearly 3 months of Tamox. the flashes have decreased in frequency.

Glad you caught it early and are feeling better!

Good luck with your treatments,

Jennifer
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hiya...
    Congrats on clean numbers. I agree with your MO considering it's cancer you sure couldn't have done any better. I just finished radiation about a month ago, I did six and a half weeks. I burned in places but now I am sporting a nice suntan glow. Radiation can zap your energy, especially once you hit the half way point and beyond. Not terribly bad though, so don't get yourself worried too much. Just nap when the kids do...LOL

As far as Tamoxifen, I just started two weeks ago. So far so good, no side effect yet, but as I am sure you've read up on joint pain and hot flashes are two common ones. I am so glad you have rebounded so nicely... Keep up the exercising it definitely helps with recovery.

Congrats again,
    Lorrie

Big congrats on clean
    Big congrats on clean margins!

Hugs, Jan