Switching from paxil to effexor due to tamoxifin

dbhadra
dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
Hi:

I've been on paxil for some time and now am told that due to its interaction with tamoxifin, I would need to get off it. Anyone had experience using another antidepressant or switching?

Laura

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hey Laura
    I've been on

Hey Laura
    I've been on effexor and Tamoxifin for right about a year now. No problems. I think effexor is the antidepressant of choice for us.
    Dee
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Just started effexor today.
    Just started effexor today. hopefully there won't be any side effects from that.

angela
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    robang13 said:

Just started effexor today.
    Just started effexor today. hopefully there won't be any side effects from that.

angela

My family doctor
    My family doctor prescribed Paxil.I came home and looked it up on line.I saw where Paxil and tamoxifin don't work together.My oncologist said Paxil conteracted the effects of tamoxifin.I did get a prescript for Effexor but didn't take it.Now I am really debating.The last 3 weeks waiting for a biopsy is nerve wracking.I am in circles. I need a downer!!!!

Sounds like you were missed on what you were taking. Way to long.

Lynn Smith
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

My family doctor
    My family doctor prescribed Paxil.I came home and looked it up on line.I saw where Paxil and tamoxifin don't work together.My oncologist said Paxil conteracted the effects of tamoxifin.I did get a prescript for Effexor but didn't take it.Now I am really debating.The last 3 weeks waiting for a biopsy is nerve wracking.I am in circles. I need a downer!!!!

Sounds like you were missed on what you were taking. Way to long.

Lynn Smith

Meant to say I am getting ready to start tamoxifin after rads
    Sorry, I didn;t express myself well, I haven't started the tamoxifin yet which is why I need to make the switch the paxil to effexor. Paxil has been a part of my life for many years now due to my anxiety issues - and of course (heavy sarcasm here!!!!) a cancer diagnosis is exactly what someone like me with pre-existing anxiety issues needs!!!! So I am afraid to be completely off an anti-anxiety/anti depressant but want to make sure I am getting the most benefit possible from the tamoxifin. the amount of meds my body has had what with the chemo and all I think it does not know whether it is up or down!

re: for short term anxiety (like waiting for test results) my onc gave me Xanax which is quick acting (about 20 minutes ) and can be taken on an "as needed" basis rather than the drugs like paxil or effexor that have to be taken regularly. Anyone who can get through this journey without any meds for anxiety or depression has my absolute and whole hearted admiration. For me the suffering I experience from anxiety is too intense to go without medical relief.

Laura
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    dbhadra said:

Meant to say I am getting ready to start tamoxifin after rads
    Sorry, I didn;t express myself well, I haven't started the tamoxifin yet which is why I need to make the switch the paxil to effexor. Paxil has been a part of my life for many years now due to my anxiety issues - and of course (heavy sarcasm here!!!!) a cancer diagnosis is exactly what someone like me with pre-existing anxiety issues needs!!!! So I am afraid to be completely off an anti-anxiety/anti depressant but want to make sure I am getting the most benefit possible from the tamoxifin. the amount of meds my body has had what with the chemo and all I think it does not know whether it is up or down!

re: for short term anxiety (like waiting for test results) my onc gave me Xanax which is quick acting (about 20 minutes ) and can be taken on an "as needed" basis rather than the drugs like paxil or effexor that have to be taken regularly. Anyone who can get through this journey without any meds for anxiety or depression has my absolute and whole hearted admiration. For me the suffering I experience from anxiety is too intense to go without medical relief.

Laura

I take lexapro and that
    I take lexapro and that works ok with tamoxifen, so if the effexor doesnt do the trick then perhaps you can try lexapro. I also know there are others to use but dont remember their names!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Laura
    I've been on

Hey Laura
    I've been on effexor and Tamoxifin for right about a year now. No problems. I think effexor is the antidepressant of choice for us.
    Dee

From what I know, effexor
    From what I know, effexor and tamox are ok to use together.

Hugs, Jan