Fair Food

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
I went to the county fair tonight, and while I may have gained 5 pounds just sniffing all the great food smells, I walked past the sausage sandwiches, fried dough, french fries, cotton candy, loaded hot dogs, ice cream and the deep fried booth. They deep fry everything - oreos, twinkies, pbj's - how does it taste? I don't know!! I'm really struggling with trying to lose weight. I kept trying to get hubby to get something so we could 'share' but he's not a food-a-holic like me!

Anyway, what's your favorite food at the fair?

Sue (who's now eating a weight watchers 1 point fudgie bar!)

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Where to begin
    Let's start with the French fries then go on to the funnel cake and fresh lemonade. And the barbequed chicken and the ice cream. Need I say more?
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Cream Puff
    The Cream Puff at the Wisconsin State Fair! Well worth the 30 minute wait in line.
    The brat's aren't bad either.

Cindy
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    mamolady said:

Cream Puff
    The Cream Puff at the Wisconsin State Fair! Well worth the 30 minute wait in line.
    The brat's aren't bad either.

Cindy

I loved the brats at the Wisc state fair!
    Of course, I also love the funnel cakes, never had the cream puffs, but use to love the churro's and the steak sandwiches.

I think the food is my favorite part of the fair, except of course the Del Mar Fairgrounds, then it is the horse racing and the beach!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Oh, my--where to start! I
    Oh, my--where to start! I was a 4-H girl, so I have been to the fair for decades!
    I would have to say my favorite is a funnel cake, although the deep fried twinkies are
    mighty tasty! I allow myself one fair treat per year! I am from Indiana & the State
    Fair starts Friday!
  • serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    Tux said:

Oh, my--where to start! I
    Oh, my--where to start! I was a 4-H girl, so I have been to the fair for decades!
    I would have to say my favorite is a funnel cake, although the deep fried twinkies are
    mighty tasty! I allow myself one fair treat per year! I am from Indiana & the State
    Fair starts Friday!

At the Renaissance Festival
    At the Renaissance Festival it would have to be the piping hot popover with melted butter dripping all over...yum
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    My favorite use to be Cotton
    My favorite use to be Cotton Candy, but now I would have to say the Blooming Onion!
    ♥ Cat
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Cat64 said:

My favorite use to be Cotton
    My favorite use to be Cotton Candy, but now I would have to say the Blooming Onion!
    ♥ Cat

Cotton Candy
    I'm a cotton candy girl. Love how it just melts in your mouth & and in your hands. Better than M&M's. Finger licking good!

Debi~
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    we have two fairs going on
    we have two fairs going on here...we are skipping them to save money towards our camping trip in two weeks to go to MYSTIC Aquriuam in CT...

but fair foods...yum...fried dough and cotton candy...

Denise
  • iluvmykids
    iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
    Greasy burgers and Fries and Homemade pie!
    Our county fair starts next week, still a free admission fair. The local churches run the food stands, so lots and lots of homemade pies.

The smells alone are enough for me!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Greasy burgers and Fries and Homemade pie!
    Our county fair starts next week, still a free admission fair. The local churches run the food stands, so lots and lots of homemade pies.

The smells alone are enough for me!

My favorite is
    Kettlecorn--I love the marriage of salty and sweet! Don't feel bad, Sue. I'm trying to get off some nasty weight that just won't budge as well. Just wrote down my point total from breakfast! I want some Kettlecorn!!!

Hugs, Renee
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    missrenee said:

My favorite is
    Kettlecorn--I love the marriage of salty and sweet! Don't feel bad, Sue. I'm trying to get off some nasty weight that just won't budge as well. Just wrote down my point total from breakfast! I want some Kettlecorn!!!

Hugs, Renee

Corndog~with mustard!
    Oh my, I can taste it now, and the fair is about a month away~~ also love the elephant ears that are cinnamon & sugar or raspberry jam (its a big piece of fried dough). Then there is the "loaf" of shoe string french fries....fresh pulled taffy....I could go on, and on...
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

Corndog~with mustard!
    Oh my, I can taste it now, and the fair is about a month away~~ also love the elephant ears that are cinnamon & sugar or raspberry jam (its a big piece of fried dough). Then there is the "loaf" of shoe string french fries....fresh pulled taffy....I could go on, and on...

Without a doubt cotton
    Without a doubt cotton candy. But it has to be fresh made in the machine, no prepackaged stuff for me. I would love the sweet melting of pure sugar in your mouth and the sticky fingers from tearing off pieces. Oh, and the crystally pieces when you bite into it and the moisture from you mouth was left on the cotton candy. One time when I was very young I thought if I got it wet it would all be crystally goodness so I took it over to the water fountain. Well, you know what happened, yep it melted like snow under a heat lamp. Lesson learned. Oh my gosh, I think I must find a fair and get me some sugary goodness. Not good for the diabetes but I confess I do still have some when I am at a fair or carnival.
    Stef
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Garlic Fries
    I had a hard time choosing a favorite but I would have to say that the Garlic Fries win out. Of course, funnel cake with ice cream is way up there along with a deep-fried Snickers Bar.

IRENE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    French fries and
    French fries and vinegar
    Corn on the cob
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Fairs...I don't have any
    Fairs...I don't have any idea at all!!! I haven't been to a fair in over 20 years~ though they have a couple of pretty good large ones here in my neck of woods. The last thing I went to was a Lemon Festival last year when Reggie and the tribal members sang..but it was raining and we left pretty quickly after the performance! Can't think of any food that calls my name though~I don't have a sweet tooth, I am not a deep fried or battered food lover, so knowing me, if I did go to a fair, I would probably eat before or when I got home! I like the Hidden Valley commercials where they show a fair with kids eating vegetables! LOL I'm doooomed! But it's all the more for you fair food eaters, huh? :-)
    I used to love the brats~ but now Reggie makes homemade sausage ( hot/sweet Italian, brats etc) so even that wouldn't be a treat anymore. Sigh.....
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    chenheart said:

Fairs...I don't have any
    Fairs...I don't have any idea at all!!! I haven't been to a fair in over 20 years~ though they have a couple of pretty good large ones here in my neck of woods. The last thing I went to was a Lemon Festival last year when Reggie and the tribal members sang..but it was raining and we left pretty quickly after the performance! Can't think of any food that calls my name though~I don't have a sweet tooth, I am not a deep fried or battered food lover, so knowing me, if I did go to a fair, I would probably eat before or when I got home! I like the Hidden Valley commercials where they show a fair with kids eating vegetables! LOL I'm doooomed! But it's all the more for you fair food eaters, huh? :-)
    I used to love the brats~ but now Reggie makes homemade sausage ( hot/sweet Italian, brats etc) so even that wouldn't be a treat anymore. Sigh.....

OMG the pronto pups, the
    OMG the pronto pups, the foot long ones! YUMMY!

And, the french fries!

The best part of going to the fairs are the food.

LOL,

Angie
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Angie2U said:

OMG the pronto pups, the
    OMG the pronto pups, the foot long ones! YUMMY!

And, the french fries!

The best part of going to the fairs are the food.

LOL,

Angie

I like
    I like funnel cakes.Used to be cotton candy but suddenly I can't stand it.I have no reason why but maybe ate to much one time and I had it.

The fair ended in my area last night.I went everyday to feed the barn cats but didn't walk alot. The first day I walked some just to get my season pass.What little I saw seemed like the fair was not busy.It's the economy.It was $6.00 a night to get in.That's Why I got a pass for $20 all week.

As soon as I pulled up they knew what I was there for. The officer even directed traffic for me but I was the only car!!!!!He motioned like the road is all yours.

Now I won't need to fight through it all.And the cats will be back to normal.They are soooooooooo traumatized. Me too!!!!!

Lynn Smith
  • I like
    I like funnel cakes.Used to be cotton candy but suddenly I can't stand it.I have no reason why but maybe ate to much one time and I had it.

The fair ended in my area last night.I went everyday to feed the barn cats but didn't walk alot. The first day I walked some just to get my season pass.What little I saw seemed like the fair was not busy.It's the economy.It was $6.00 a night to get in.That's Why I got a pass for $20 all week.

As soon as I pulled up they knew what I was there for. The officer even directed traffic for me but I was the only car!!!!!He motioned like the road is all yours.

Now I won't need to fight through it all.And the cats will be back to normal.They are soooooooooo traumatized. Me too!!!!!

Lynn Smith

I like
    funnel cakes and cotton candy in a bag but never on a stick. I heard some fairs had deep fried Kool-Aid this year? Anybody get any of that???