New Member and scared

2»

Comments

• SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    Fighting Trousers
    Everyone above me on this page have given you such wonderful thoughts, there's not much I can/need to add...except this: Keeping your sense of humor is important, as is making sure you get laughs and pleasant activities in your life to balance the less pleasant things you may go through...you need to keep strong enough to fight the cancer and deal with the worries, and humor/laughing can indeed be good medicine. So, I'm sharing here a music video supporting this effort...it makes me smile and reminds me to keep up the fight :)

Good luck and remember, you're never alone on this cancer journey,
    Janine
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Fighting Trousers
    Everyone above me on this page have given you such wonderful thoughts, there's not much I can/need to add...except this: Keeping your sense of humor is important, as is making sure you get laughs and pleasant activities in your life to balance the less pleasant things you may go through...you need to keep strong enough to fight the cancer and deal with the worries, and humor/laughing can indeed be good medicine. So, I'm sharing here a music video supporting this effort...it makes me smile and reminds me to keep up the fight :)

Good luck and remember, you're never alone on this cancer journey,
    Janine

Welcome to the party noone wants to be invited to!
    Hang in there! We are here for you, please ask any questions you have. We have all been where you are now! You will be fine!
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Our thoughts and prayers are
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you Judman!

Second fear is normal of things unknown. We all have had it, and anyone telling you else wise is mistaking.

One can find the information here of things to come. The fear of the unknown is certainly diminished when you find that these reactions to chemo was fairly normal. Uncomfortable, humiliating, humbling, and then laughable.

I was 10 years older then you when I was first diagnosed. It is never expected. Keep mentally strong, keep as physically strong as you can, and keep positive people around you for support. You will do well.

Come back here for support and questions.

Best Always, mike
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    thxmiker said:

Our thoughts and prayers are
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you Judman!

Second fear is normal of things unknown. We all have had it, and anyone telling you else wise is mistaking.

One can find the information here of things to come. The fear of the unknown is certainly diminished when you find that these reactions to chemo was fairly normal. Uncomfortable, humiliating, humbling, and then laughable.

I was 10 years older then you when I was first diagnosed. It is never expected. Keep mentally strong, keep as physically strong as you can, and keep positive people around you for support. You will do well.

Come back here for support and questions.

Best Always, mike

Just want to say welcome and
    Just want to say welcome and wish you weren't here! You found great support here.
  • judman92
    judman92 Member Posts: 31
    PhillieG said:

Hi Judman
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It certainly is scary at first, then one often gets used to it. You can't let fear overtake you because it becomes easy to make poor decisions.

It is VERY often a good idea to get a second opinion on things to see all of the options that are out there for you. The majority of the members here have done mainstream treatments with great success, others have done surgery then gone TCM (traditional chinese medicine) or juicing/dietary changes and have had great success. It's also possible to do either of those protocols and not have great success. That's the thing with cancer, one size does not fit all. What may kill one person may save another's life.

I was DX with stage IV over 7 years ago, did chemo then surgery. Then more chemo and another surgery, repeat a few more times...and here I am. My liver was not operable at the time but going on Avastin for about 6 months made be operable by shrinking the tumors. It's seems VERY early to try to determine if your liver is operable to me. I also would investigate what options you have prior to doing a phase II clinical trial. It just seems so premature given the information that you've provided. Actually, if you could give more details we might be able to offer more suggestions. Did they mention Avastin, Erbitux, FOLFOX?

You are right, side effects vary from person to person. One thing that I believe is that where you're treated and what you do first makes a HUGE difference in your outcome. It's hard to un-do something that someone screwed up. Given the chance to go back in time, I would do the same treatment that I've done. I have no regrets.
    All the best Judman
    -phil

Trial
    I think my original post was a little confusing I typed it fast. I actually go to a very well respected oncologist in the Effingham, IL area. The trial that I was going to be a part of was to test whether taking the chemo pump home was beneficial to treatment. The way they did that was to stick large needles into your liver and get tissue samples. I had that test done last Friday. I only have one tumor that is big in size the rest of the tumors cannot be seen on a catscan and can only be seen on a Pet Scan. I am starting chemo next Wednesday and I am worried about the side effects but my oncologist explained that every person reacts to chemo differently and that some people have several side effects and some have none. I have a great support system with awesome co-workers, friends, family and girlfriend and I am going to beat this and keep on living. I have found support from a local church which is helping. Thank you for the response I appreciate all the support this forum is going to give me and I will continue to pray and put my faith in my doctors and God.
  • mykidsmommy
    mykidsmommy Member Posts: 76
    Stage 3
    Hi ~

I just wanted to chime in and say hi from a STAGE 3 survivor. You can get through this and you will. It won't be easy, and your family and friends will be your backbone for awhile, but there is light at the end of this dark tunnel. I am three years post chemo, and living my life as normal as ever. You will too. I was 34 when I was DX and that year was a blur.... but now I am looking at being 40 next year!