Low Country Boil

Options
Skiffin16
Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
edited July 2011 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I have to say first that I'm sorry for those of you still struggling through taste and saliva issues....I do have compassion as I have been there also.

But after two years post treatment, I have regained a huge amount of both and do enjoy good eats....so I was watching one of the fishing shows the other day and they were doing a Low Country Boil at the end of the segment...couldn't get it out of my head sooo...

Low Country Boil

I had to try my skills....MMMM, awesome Low Country Boil with sausage, crab, shrimp, crawfish, corn and new potatos, all kicked up with plenty of Old Bay Seasons.....cooked/steamed to perfection.

Invited a few friends and swapped fishing lies.....

Best,
John

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Taste
    It is truly a blessing to be able to taste again and to see that there is hope for when it is taking a way for a little while is comes back again with happiness

Thanks
    Hondo
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Hondo said:

Taste
    It is truly a blessing to be able to taste again and to see that there is hope for when it is taking a way for a little while is comes back again with happiness

Thanks
    Hondo

Awesome John !
    Sorry I posted below your photo! What a great idea! I just wish Old Bay liked me at the moment as I sure do miss it! Great photo!
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Hondo said:

Taste

Thanks
    Hondo

Awesome John !
    Sorry I posted below your photo! What a great idea! I just wish Old Bay liked me at the moment as I sure do miss it! Great photo!
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    rozaroo said:

Awesome John !

LOL - Man Cook
    No problem on posting on the photo, that's what it's for...comments.

On the man cooking trait, I give my credit to my mother...she's an awesome cook, even at 80 she can whip up a mess of good eats, LOL...

Best,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

LOL - Man Cook
    No problem on posting on the photo, that's what it's for...comments.

On the man cooking trait, I give my credit to my mother...she's an awesome cook, even at 80 she can whip up a mess of good eats, LOL...

Best,
    John

I tried a tiny bit of Old
    I tried a tiny bit of Old Bay the other day on my tongue, and paid dearly for it the rest of the night. For those that might want to try the boil part, but cannot take the heat, you may want to try my Old Bay Style Seasoning Mix, that I created last night.

Old Bay Style Seasoning

1 tbs ground bay leaves
    2 tsp celery salt
    1  1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp celery seed
     1/2 tsp nutmeg
     1/8 tsp ground cloves
     1/8 tsp ground mace
    1/8 tsp ground cardamom
    1/8 tsp ground allspice

I recreated it minus the salt and burny spices. :)
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Old Bay
    It really got tough when Doug couldn't eat Old Bay anymore - we put it on/in deviled eggs, egg salad, chicken salad and, of course, crab cakes. He seems to be able to tolerate it again (phew).

That low country boil sounds great - in my native land (Connecticut) it would more likely have linquica (Portuguese sausage) plus lobster and clams instead of the crab/shrimp/crawfish. Some good eating, eyup!
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    DrMary said:

Old Bay
    It really got tough when Doug couldn't eat Old Bay anymore - we put it on/in deviled eggs, egg salad, chicken salad and, of course, crab cakes. He seems to be able to tolerate it again (phew).

That low country boil sounds great - in my native land (Connecticut) it would more likely have linquica (Portuguese sausage) plus lobster and clams instead of the crab/shrimp/crawfish. Some good eating, eyup!

Content
    Sounds good both Dawn and Mary....

It's a pretty loosely based recipe, I think you can add or modify it to fit what you like best....

Best,
    John
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    LOW COUNTRY BOIL
    Great idea, I have eaten most of what goes into a low country boil, but just one item at a time. Nice to get new ideas as I am starting to have some eating success.

How do you tollerate the Old Bay and other spices? I am not quite there yet with the spice.

Enjoy, you just made me very hungry.

Mike
  • Skiffin16
    Options

LOW COUNTRY BOIL
    Great idea, I have eaten most of what goes into a low country boil, but just one item at a time. Nice to get new ideas as I am starting to have some eating success.

How do you tollerate the Old Bay and other spices? I am not quite there yet with the spice.

Enjoy, you just made me very hungry.

Mike

Seasonings
    I had trouble with somethings my first year or so post rads...mainly the spicy stuff, chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, etc... But now I'm good to go, can't think of anything specifically that bothers me....

I never did fully regain the ability to eat and taste ice cream....but that's pretty minor in the big scheme of things.

Best,
    John