Just got back from having my head buzzed.

Options
mom2greatkids
mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
I sat there and cried. Have cried since I've been home. It began coming out yesterday. (my first treatment was June 28.) I didn't want to deal with the mess. I know it's "just hair." But to me, this just adds "insult to injury." It feels like pouring salt into an open sound. Guess I'll get used to it, but still..... The beautician said she has seen several women cry when they are dealing with hair loss from chemo.

On the bright side, the beautician never charged me! :)

Comments

• lulu1010
    lulu1010 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    losing my hair
    I felt the same way. I really was a cancer patient and looked like one when my hair came out. I wore a wig most of the winter. I was only really depressed for a short time and then got on with it. My chemo is now over and my hair is coming back and I see the lite at the end of the tunnel at least for now. I dont know if it will be as traumatic the next time but I kind of think it wont be.
    I didnt tell people I was wearing a wig and it was great fun for me to not tell people until my chemo was over and they asked me why I never lost my hair. Many were shocked that they never realized I had gone thru that and I had not ever said anything.
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    lulu1010 said:

losing my hair
    I felt the same way. I really was a cancer patient and looked like one when my hair came out. I wore a wig most of the winter. I was only really depressed for a short time and then got on with it. My chemo is now over and my hair is coming back and I see the lite at the end of the tunnel at least for now. I dont know if it will be as traumatic the next time but I kind of think it wont be.
    I didnt tell people I was wearing a wig and it was great fun for me to not tell people until my chemo was over and they asked me why I never lost my hair. Many were shocked that they never realized I had gone thru that and I had not ever said anything.

It's difficult.
    I cried when I realized how much hair was falling out. Then I made the decision to take it off and I think that gave me a sense of control. I wore my bald head proudly and for me it was truely the easiest part of treatment. I got so many compliments on my head shape and my mom called me her mannequin. Take time to mourn your hair but I am sure in a while you will find it is not something you will stress about.

Karen
  • dreamer007
    dreamer007 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    kikz said:

It's difficult.
    I cried when I realized how much hair was falling out. Then I made the decision to take it off and I think that gave me a sense of control. I wore my bald head proudly and for me it was truely the easiest part of treatment. I got so many compliments on my head shape and my mom called me her mannequin. Take time to mourn your hair but I am sure in a while you will find it is not something you will stress about.

Karen

hair loss
    my sister had ovc, lost her hair, so i knew it was going to happen
    my onc doc told me it would fall out
    it was kind of shocking, at first, but then i wanted to get to the barber
    asap, and get sheared...

i love to wear hats, so once it was gone, i was ok with that
    my sister took me to her hair guy, and he didnt charge anything

one of my friends participated in this event, in Austin, called St. Baldricks
    and had his head shaved... he raised a couple of hundred bucks for
    cancer, which was a totally awesome thing!!!!