Diets for Lymphoma

I am a newly diagnosed NH lymphoma(-tic). I am not obsessed, but do agree proper diet has its just rewards to most any malady. Does anyone have a proven diet, or just a list of what "to" and "not to" eat for lymphoma? Yes, I checked the i'net, but like most searches was deluged with yadda-yadda. Any and all suggestions are graciously accepted......TxJim

Comments

• She514
    She514 Member Posts: 47
    Nothing proven but
    Hi Jim
    I was diagnosed with low grade B cell lymphoma in April this year, currently on a watch and wait routine. I've been reading and highlighting David Servan-Schreiber MD "Anti cancer A new way of life". Lots of interesting research cited in this book. Very informative. I've also been following (as much as possible) "the Cancer Project" Nutritional Rainbow chart and Healthy Eating for Life. Both items can be ordered from the Cancer Projects website no charge. It does stress vegetarian diets. Which I haven't completely cutout meat from my diet, the meat I do eat is organic. I have reduced meat intake a great deal. I've also bumped up my fiber, fruits and vegetables.
    Since I'm newly diagnosed, and new to the diet alteration it's too soon to tell if it's doing any good. My Onc stated maintain a healthy lifestyle both in diet and exercise.

Welcome, this is a very informative group of people.

Rosie
  • TxJim
    TxJim Member Posts: 5
    She514 said:

Nothing proven but
    Hi Jim
    I was diagnosed with low grade B cell lymphoma in April this year, currently on a watch and wait routine. I've been reading and highlighting David Servan-Schreiber MD "Anti cancer A new way of life". Lots of interesting research cited in this book. Very informative. I've also been following (as much as possible) "the Cancer Project" Nutritional Rainbow chart and Healthy Eating for Life. Both items can be ordered from the Cancer Projects website no charge. It does stress vegetarian diets. Which I haven't completely cutout meat from my diet, the meat I do eat is organic. I have reduced meat intake a great deal. I've also bumped up my fiber, fruits and vegetables.
    Since I'm newly diagnosed, and new to the diet alteration it's too soon to tell if it's doing any good. My Onc stated maintain a healthy lifestyle both in diet and exercise.

Welcome, this is a very informative group of people.

Rosie

Diets for NHL
    Hi Rosie,
    Thanks for your reply. Im about as new to all this as you (April). There is a lot to comprehend, but as in many things, it is always easier with friends. Thanks again for your input, and my best wishes are with you.
    Jim
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    I agree
    Dear Jim,

I agree with Rosie.

I too only eat organic fresh produce, veggies, milk, veggie burgers, and not too much meat. if I do eat meat, it is organic. I do not drink water from the home tap because of the Floride. I understand some bottled water does contain Floride, therefore, check the label on
    bottled water.

I do eat some products not organic, such as tuna, salmon, etc. As you can see I do the best as I can. I also take vitamins with the approval of my oncologist. No Herbs. I am a bit scared of herbs.

Sorry, you have to be on this site. I certainly pray for the very best. Maggie
  • TxJim

I agree
    Dear Jim,

I agree with Rosie.

I too only eat organic fresh produce, veggies, milk, veggie burgers, and not too much meat. if I do eat meat, it is organic. I do not drink water from the home tap because of the Floride. I understand some bottled water does contain Floride, therefore, check the label on
    bottled water.

I do eat some products not organic, such as tuna, salmon, etc. As you can see I do the best as I can. I also take vitamins with the approval of my oncologist. No Herbs. I am a bit scared of herbs.

Sorry, you have to be on this site. I certainly pray for the very best. Maggie

Thanx
    Hiya Maggie,
    Thanks for your input. Altho not a vegetarian, I really dont have alot of meat in my diet. Dropping it altogether would not be too dramatic.
    I too pass on tap water, but do drink the water from the fridge since it is filtered. I was unaware of watching for floride tho. I will definetely check the bottle labels.
    One of the things I cant find in research is something like......"If you have developed NHL then it is due to a lack of mineral/vitamin XYZ". Therefore, I would start taking more XYZ. Approaching it from the diet angle was the best I could come up with.
    Thanks again for your input, and your kind thoughts......Jim
  • Debra425
    Debra425 Member Posts: 3
    TxJim said:

Thanx
    Hiya Maggie,
    Thanks for your input. Altho not a vegetarian, I really dont have alot of meat in my diet. Dropping it altogether would not be too dramatic.
    I too pass on tap water, but do drink the water from the fridge since it is filtered. I was unaware of watching for floride tho. I will definetely check the bottle labels.
    One of the things I cant find in research is something like......"If you have developed NHL then it is due to a lack of mineral/vitamin XYZ". Therefore, I would start taking more XYZ. Approaching it from the diet angle was the best I could come up with.

Thanks for asking
    I appreciate your asking about diet, because I too was interested. I down-loaded a lot of (free) information from the Cancer Project and have enough to start tomorrow. I have to go shopping in order to start this diet, so Monday seemed like a good time to begin.
    Debra
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Debra425 said:

Thanks for asking
    I appreciate your asking about diet, because I too was interested. I down-loaded a lot of (free) information from the Cancer Project and have enough to start tomorrow. I have to go shopping in order to start this diet, so Monday seemed like a good time to begin.
    Debra

Diet
    I'm on the "Hammer" diet...if it's not hammered down, I eat it! haha! Love..Sue (0:
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • miss maggie
    allmost60 said:

Diet
    I'm on the "Hammer" diet...if it's not hammered down, I eat it! haha! Love..Sue (0:
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Oh Sue
    Sweet Sue,

How funny you are. Is that an indication you are having a good day.
    I certainly hope so.

I have to pass your "Hammer Diet" to all who will listen.

Luv you Maggie
  • miss maggie
    TxJim said:

Thanx
    Hiya Maggie,

Jim, hmmmm
    Dear Jim,

Here comes a stupid question? You say lack of mineral/vitamin XYZ. Is
    there such a thing as XYZ?

Anyway, if you mean the following, which I think you do.
    I do take vitamins with minerals (always have). I also take
    100 mg vit B6, 500 mg vitamin C, 1200 fish oil, and 1000 mg vit D3.
    Two days during the week, I take an extra 1000 vit D3.

Surprise, surprise, well I should say, I think. Soemone told me the better
    priced water, has floride. The cheaper brands is purfied drinking water,
    processed by reverse osmosis and/ or distillation micron filtered, ozonated.

When I have time in my busy life, I will do research on the above paragraph.

Maggie
  • allmost60

Oh Sue
    Sweet Sue,

How funny you are. Is that an indication you are having a good day.
    I certainly hope so.

I have to pass your "Hammer Diet" to all who will listen.

Luv you Maggie

haha!
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    Yes..I am having a good day, as I do "most" of the time. I've knowticed a huge change in my way of thinking since my cancer diagnosis. I just can't seem to find a reason to wake up thinking it's going to be a "bad" day, instead I wake up each day and make a "concious effort" to search out ways to have a "good" day. Humor helps immensely! When I see an opportunity to make someone laugh, or smile, I just go for it. I was a fun loving carefree person "before" having cancer, so why not be that same person "with" cancer? Thats not to say "every" day is great, but I'm slowly getting back to the old happy me. I know I should probably eat healthier, but if it means depriving myself of foods I love, well....that would make me sad, and I'd rather be happy. Someone told me chocolate was bad to eat because the sugar feeds cancer. I knew then I was in big trouble, because there is no way I'll EVER stop eating my chocolate. Life's just too short dear Maggie...ya know? Love you...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • miss maggie
    allmost60 said:

haha!
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    Yes..I am having a good day, as I do "most" of the time. I've knowticed a huge change in my way of thinking since my cancer diagnosis. I just can't seem to find a reason to wake up thinking it's going to be a "bad" day, instead I wake up each day and make a "concious effort" to search out ways to have a "good" day. Humor helps immensely! When I see an opportunity to make someone laugh, or smile, I just go for it. I was a fun loving carefree person "before" having cancer, so why not be that same person "with" cancer? Thats not to say "every" day is great, but I'm slowly getting back to the old happy me. I know I should probably eat healthier, but if it means depriving myself of foods I love, well....that would make me sad, and I'd rather be happy. Someone told me chocolate was bad to eat because the sugar feeds cancer. I knew then I was in big trouble, because there is no way I'll EVER stop eating my chocolate. Life's just too short dear Maggie...ya know? Love you...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

I agree Sue
    Dear Sue,

I couldn't agree more. Me too, I was a happy, optimistic, and carefree
    person before DX. I too have returned to my old self. I have to admit, so
    far I have not struggled with my NHL as some. I do understand when they are
    having a bad day. I was a mental case when I found out my DX in Sept 2009.

Hmmmm, as far as chocolate is concerned, eat away. I do believe pure chocolate is
    good for you. Do you eat the dark chocolate? I do eat what ever I want, but I do
    check the ingredients. I will be posting the ingredients in bottled water. So far
    my teeth are OK, therefore I do not not need floride.

My downfall is ice cream. I pig out every so often, and eat a full container. Since
    ice cream has been reduced in size, I only eat 48 oz at one sitting. LOL

Yes, yes, life is too short to deprive yourself of any food you love.

Luv you also. Be healthy, happy, and positive. Love Maggie
  • allmost60

I agree Sue
    Dear Sue,

I couldn't agree more. Me too, I was a happy, optimistic, and carefree
    person before DX. I too have returned to my old self. I have to admit, so
    far I have not struggled with my NHL as some. I do understand when they are
    having a bad day. I was a mental case when I found out my DX in Sept 2009.

Hmmmm, as far as chocolate is concerned, eat away. I do believe pure chocolate is
    good for you. Do you eat the dark chocolate? I do eat what ever I want, but I do
    check the ingredients. I will be posting the ingredients in bottled water. So far
    my teeth are OK, therefore I do not not need floride.

My downfall is ice cream. I pig out every so often, and eat a full container. Since
    ice cream has been reduced in size, I only eat 48 oz at one sitting. LOL

Yes, yes, life is too short to deprive yourself of any food you love.

Luv you also. Be healthy, happy, and positive. Love Maggie

Chocolate
    Hey Maggie..
    I like milk chocolate, not the dark which is the one they say is better for us to eat. I like cake, pie, pastries of all kinds and ohhhh my how I like my ice cream! Steve just bought me a new kind..Tillamook Butterfinger. Yummy yummy yummy! We also keep 2 jars of Mrs.Richardson's butterscotch carmel and hot fudge topping in the fridge at all times! When they get down to 1/4 of a jar I immediately jot down a note for Steve to pick up a couple of more jars..(he does all the grocery shopping)..lucky me! I've never had a problem with weight, so I suppose that makes it easier and guilt free for me to eat the kind of sweets I enjoy having. On another note, we do however eat alot of fish,usually 2 to 3 times a week. We also eat chicken and turkey, along with red meats. I'd say we have a healthy balance and variety which keeps us from eating too much of any "one" type of food. Steve has never had weight problems either and is healthy as a horse. He'll be 65 on his next birthday and in the 32 years we've been together the only times he goes to the doctor is for his yearly physical, or for the seasonal allergies he's developed from living in an agricultural community. We must be doing something right....cancer or no cancer.
    Love ya...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • miss maggie
    allmost60 said:

Chocolate
    Hey Maggie..
    I like milk chocolate, not the dark which is the one they say is better for us to eat. I like cake, pie, pastries of all kinds and ohhhh my how I like my ice cream! Steve just bought me a new kind..Tillamook Butterfinger. Yummy yummy yummy! We also keep 2 jars of Mrs.Richardson's butterscotch carmel and hot fudge topping in the fridge at all times! When they get down to 1/4 of a jar I immediately jot down a note for Steve to pick up a couple of more jars..(he does all the grocery shopping)..lucky me! I've never had a problem with weight, so I suppose that makes it easier and guilt free for me to eat the kind of sweets I enjoy having. On another note, we do however eat alot of fish,usually 2 to 3 times a week. We also eat chicken and turkey, along with red meats. I'd say we have a healthy balance and variety which keeps us from eating too much of any "one" type of food. Steve has never had weight problems either and is healthy as a horse. He'll be 65 on his next birthday and in the 32 years we've been together the only times he goes to the doctor is for his yearly physical, or for the seasonal allergies he's developed from living in an agricultural community. We must be doing something right....cancer or no cancer.
    Love ya...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

How can that be
    Dear Sue,

I am eating my heart and soul out. Unbelievable, what you can eat and
    not gain a pound. Oh boy, do I envy you. In my next life, I would love to
    eat as much ice cream and chocolate. So far my blood work is good, including
    my glucose level. In fact, a bit low. 61.

God Bless Steve. May he continue to be well, and healthy as a horse. The same be
    true for baby Lizzie, and all your family.

Luv you, and love your posts Maggie
  • TxJim

Jim, hmmmm
    Dear Jim,

Here comes a stupid question? You say lack of mineral/vitamin XYZ. Is
    there such a thing as XYZ?

Anyway, if you mean the following, which I think you do.
    I do take vitamins with minerals (always have). I also take
    100 mg vit B6, 500 mg vitamin C, 1200 fish oil, and 1000 mg vit D3.
    Two days during the week, I take an extra 1000 vit D3.

Surprise, surprise, well I should say, I think. Soemone told me the better
    priced water, has floride. The cheaper brands is purfied drinking water,
    processed by reverse osmosis and/ or distillation micron filtered, ozonated.

When I have time in my busy life, I will do research on the above paragraph.

Maggie

XYZ
    Maggie,
    Maggie May Maggie May.....no, there is no such thing as vit/min XYZ......that was just a generic name I coined to incapsulate all vit/mins......It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get. Everyone has there own opinion. My mission was to seek out the opinions of those battling some sort of cancer, and if they personally had success with any given product.
    I will make you this promise. If I ever run across vit/min XYZ........I will let you know where to find some......may be better than the old 60s drugs (-:
    Jim
  • TxJim
    Debra425 said:

Thanks for asking
    Debra

NHL Diets
    Debra,
    Thanks for your reply, and good luck in your new search for the "magic" diet.
    Please keep me informed and updated on your discoveries.
    Jim
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    allmost60 said:

Diet
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Diet
    I guess I should be on some sort of diet. I am on the Seafood diet. I see food and I eat it. LOL. But I do take vitamins now. John
  • miss maggie
    COBRA666 said:

Diet
    I guess I should be on some sort of diet. I am on the Seafood diet. I see food and I eat it. LOL. But I do take vitamins now. John

As usual
    Dear John,

I am so glad you still have your sense of humor. Keep the humor coming.

Love Maggie
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    allmost60 said:

haha!
    Hi Miss Maggie,
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Sue
    I bet if we met in person we would laugh a lot. I feel like you do . Hey if I can get out of bed and function it is a good day. I laugh a lot and I do believe attitude is so important. We are in a hotel on the way to Birmingham, Al then NC and Maine. I feel so blessed I feel well and can travel. Have a great day and God bless. Joanie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    JoanieP said:

Sue
    I bet if we met in person we would laugh a lot. I feel like you do . Hey if I can get out of bed and function it is a good day. I laugh a lot and I do believe attitude is so important. We are in a hotel on the way to Birmingham, Al then NC and Maine. I feel so blessed I feel well and can travel. Have a great day and God bless. Joanie

NC
    Just curious as to what town in NC. Its a big state and a lot of people on the board pass thru it on vacation. When Vinny went to Florida last year I told him to wave when he flew over Fayetteville.LOL John
    BTW: Hope you have a good A/C if you are driving. Its supposed to feel like 112 degrees on Wednesday.
  • allmost60
    JoanieP said:

Sue

Stay cool!
    Hey Joanie,
    I've been to Birmingham Al in the summer...oh man, how I remember the dredful heat and humidity. Both of my older sisters were stationed at Fort McClellan/Aniston Al. I'd visit them on the base and the heat/humidity was absolutely miserable! Your headed towards some hot humid country, so stay cool! Have a great time. Love...Sue