Lat dorsi surgery...muscle contracts

dh
dh Member Posts: 1
I had a latissimus dorsi flap surgery 6 weeks ago. When I cough or use my arm in a certain way the muscle over my breast contracts..which hurts and feels very strange. I'm a swimmer and it feels like this muscle will contract with every stroke.

Does anyone have this experience? Does it go away, get better, or do you just get used to it?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    No, not me .. However, I will bump this post up ..
    in the meantime, please please please contact your doctor. Maybe your muscles and arm motion needs time to heal, after your surgery -- However, I must emphasise .. please contact your surgeon or doctor.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • Mare33
    Mare33 Member Posts: 3
    I'm new
    These muscles are the ones that pull the elbow down to your side, they give a lot of pulling power, so they will contract. I don't know if the pain will go away or what. I would like to know bcuz this is the operation they are planning for me and I would like to know. I asked my dr how moving those muscles will affect me and he said that it will effect my strength when getting up out of a chair. It could be that your brain doesn't get why it feels so different so it interprets it as pain. I don't know, but I hope someone whose already been through this procedure will reply.
  • linny b
    linny b Member Posts: 25
    latissimum dorsi surgery
    I had this surgery in October, 2010, I have constant contractions that only stop when I sleep. I've had surgery to correct it by cutting the nerve, but, they couldn't find the right nerve to cut, in the meantime I got cellulitis in the breast area, I'm still waiting for the infection to clear up, then they'll try to cut the nerve again. I still have a lot of pain and disconfort, tightness, soreness, going to physical therapy to help with range of motion.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    linny b said:

latissimum dorsi surgery
    I had this surgery in October, 2010, I have constant contractions that only stop when I sleep. I've had surgery to correct it by cutting the nerve, but, they couldn't find the right nerve to cut, in the meantime I got cellulitis in the breast area, I'm still waiting for the infection to clear up, then they'll try to cut the nerve again. I still have a lot of pain and disconfort, tightness, soreness, going to physical therapy to help with range of motion.

I am 2 1/2 years out~
    ~and I have become used to the strange new place this muscle has come to call home. It did take time, and sometimes the muscle will contract, but I find it not painful, just strange. I exercise regularly, even lifting light weights. I do find that if anything, i shift alot during my sleep to get comfortable or just give that side a rest~
    ~hope the info helps. Being 6 weeks out, you are still healing. I lifted nothing heavier than a dinner plate after surgery till around 8 weeks.
    Melanie