My port was put in today

rutzetta
rutzetta Member Posts: 174
I'm so happy the port placement is done. I was able to read many post here that helped to calm my fears about the procedure. I hope to start my chemo rounds soon. With the stories here I know I will have lots of support during my journey, as I'm not alone. Constance

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Hi there rutzetta
    Every step we make is a step to get us along with our life. sorry we all had to meet like this but this is a great site to be on going thru this,last year this time i was just getting my port put in (July 6) and it really bothered me more than the mastectomy i hope you do well tonight,it's very nice to meet you. MOLLYZ
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    definitely not alone
    Glad your port insertion went well....it will make the infusion process so much easier for you. I loved having my port when it wa needed. This site is wonderful..... the sisters got me through some very rouch times.....and it is 24/7 !!!! Keep in touch, ask questions, let us know how you are doing. We are all here for you during this journey.
    Hugs
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    cavediver said:

definitely not alone
    Glad your port insertion went well....it will make the infusion process so much easier for you. I loved having my port when it wa needed. This site is wonderful..... the sisters got me through some very rouch times.....and it is 24/7 !!!! Keep in touch, ask questions, let us know how you are doing. We are all here for you during this journey.
    Hugs

Constance,
    You are on your way to kicking cancer's butt. I was so happy I had a port put in, before every infusion there is also blood work. That port really saved me a lot of needle pricks. I am assuming within the next week you will be starting treatment, you will do fine. I'm not surprised you found some sound advice and helpful tips, this site is wonderful. Unfortunately our cancer brought us all together, but I tell you.. you can't find a more caring group of wonderful ladies who have traveled the same exact path you are about to follow.

Keep us up to date on your progress,
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Constance,
    You are on your way to kicking cancer's butt. I was so happy I had a port put in, before every infusion there is also blood work. That port really saved me a lot of needle pricks. I am assuming within the next week you will be starting treatment, you will do fine. I'm not surprised you found some sound advice and helpful tips, this site is wonderful. Unfortunately our cancer brought us all together, but I tell you.. you can't find a more caring group of wonderful ladies who have traveled the same exact path you are about to follow.

Keep us up to date on your progress,
    Hugs,
    Lorrie

Many of us have been where you are, Constance
    Glad you got that port in--I was nervous to get one at first, but it turned out to me a good, good friend during treatment.

Try to stay calm and focused during your treatment. For me, and many, many others here, it was not nearly as bad as we imagined it might be. My side effects were very minimal--and even the ones I had were manageable.

Good luck to you and let us know how you're doing. Check back here often and ask any questions that come to mind.

Hugs, Renee
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    missrenee said:

Many of us have been where you are, Constance
    Glad you got that port in--I was nervous to get one at first, but it turned out to me a good, good friend during treatment.

Try to stay calm and focused during your treatment. For me, and many, many others here, it was not nearly as bad as we imagined it might be. My side effects were very minimal--and even the ones I had were manageable.

Good luck to you and let us know how you're doing. Check back here often and ask any questions that come to mind.

Hugs, Renee

no you are not alone...
    Hi Constance, I have a fresh new port also, and I am going to start my chemo next week. I am new here, so I cannot offer you much advise, but we will likely be doing treatment at the same time. What kind of bc do you have, when will you start chemo and what treatment will you be getting?

Best wishes to you on your journey.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    As others have said - a port
    As others have said - a port makes infusion so much easier and safer. My port was put in one day and I started Chemo the next day.

Find out if the facility has Numbing Spray or get EMLA (or generic) cream to numb the area. I've only had my port accessed once without either spray or cream and it HURT that time. For me, the cream works best about 45 minutes after putting it on. Also it works better if you put some 'Saran' wrap over it (it'll just stick in place) and it protects your clothes from getting the cream on them.

Susan
  • rutzetta
    rutzetta Member Posts: 174

no you are not alone...
    Hi Constance, I have a fresh new port also, and I am going to start my chemo next week. I am new here, so I cannot offer you much advise, but we will likely be doing treatment at the same time. What kind of bc do you have, when will you start chemo and what treatment will you be getting?

Best wishes to you on your journey.

I'm not alone
    Hi, Thanks for your post. I'm not sure when I will start chemo, but I have a visit with the doctor on 7/8/11 to discuss it. The doctor wants me to have 3rd generation mix of Adriamycin & Cytoxan + Taxotere. I'm not sold on the dense dose.
    I have Invasive Ductal Cancer (DCIS):Tumor size, 1.5cm, Sentinel Lymph Node involved, Estrogen 90%, Progesterene 40%, Her2 Negative. I'll let you know the outcome our the onc and my choice after tomorrow. I hope your journey is full of blessings- Constance