GREAT news - some not so good news but not BAD

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited July 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Last week after my 6 month exam with my PA, I had a bone density scan and a nuclear bone scan. The GREAT news is there is no signs of mets! The 'not so good' is that there is significant change/evidence that I now have osteoporsis - not surprising considering my family history and all the chemo/rads/Femara.

So - since starting the IBC journey in Aug '09 at 63 - I now have gall stone (no problems - only shows on scans after Taxol), my thyroid decided to quit working sometime in the last 6 months (so on pills) and I now have osteoporosis. I talked with my PA's RN this morning who gave me the latest results - she told me the generic name of the med for the osteoporosis but I don't remember it - will have it in a few days - VA mails non-emergency meds.)

My next appt is with my Chemo Dr Aug 25 (6 month apt.) (my Surgeon and Rads Dr already said they don't want to see me again as long as I see my PA every 6 months - not a prob for me - she's fantastic!) - next mammo is Aug 11.

LIFE is GREAT! (for me)

Susan

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Susan, no mets is really
    Susan, no mets is really really good news! I'm so happy for that!

As for the other stuff, 'they' say that chemo ages you ten years. And it sounds like you're not letting any of that stuff slow you down.

Keep enjoying that great life!

Hugs,

Linda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Susan, no mets is really
    Susan, no mets is really really good news! I'm so happy for that!

As for the other stuff, 'they' say that chemo ages you ten years. And it sounds like you're not letting any of that stuff slow you down.

Keep enjoying that great life!

Hugs,

Linda

Yeah!
    No mets! That's great news and I am thrilled for you....the other issues can be handled.....
    Hugs,Nancy
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    I have osteporosis also.
    I have osteporosis also. I've discovered that weight lifting helps me feel better. It's wonderful there is no met, but I'm sorry for the other issues you are having.

Judy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    poplolly said:

I have osteporosis also.
    I have osteporosis also. I've discovered that weight lifting helps me feel better. It's wonderful there is no met, but I'm sorry for the other issues you are having.

Judy

Well, no mets is great news
    Well, no mets is great news but sorry for the other news. I know that this is a possibility with the cancer treatments but there are medications that can be used to deal with it. I have the step before osterporsis which is ostenpenia. It is probably a result of the arimidex as my first bone density was fine and it has gotten progressively worse. But I will continue with it because of its effectiveness againt the estrogen. Again, sorry about these issues but happy for no mets.
    Stef
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    good news...no mets!
    Glad to hear you have no mets and life is going good for you. I too have osteoporosis from this journey and am taking (0nce a week pill) generic Alendronate Sodium 70mg. The hardest thing is to remember to take it on the same day each week (so I do it on Sundays).It is the generic for Fosamox. There are other drugs, and even a once a year infusion (but my insurance would not approve the infusion unless I could not tolerate the Fosamox tabs. Since the Fosamox only maintains the level of the bone density, not creates denser bones.......I also must take Vit.D and Calcium pills for this. Good luck....stay healthy and active.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    cavediver said:

good news...no mets!
    Glad to hear you have no mets and life is going good for you. I too have osteoporosis from this journey and am taking (0nce a week pill) generic Alendronate Sodium 70mg. The hardest thing is to remember to take it on the same day each week (so I do it on Sundays).It is the generic for Fosamox. There are other drugs, and even a once a year infusion (but my insurance would not approve the infusion unless I could not tolerate the Fosamox tabs. Since the Fosamox only maintains the level of the bone density, not creates denser bones.......I also must take Vit.D and Calcium pills for this. Good luck....stay healthy and active.

Yay for No METS!
    The side effects of the cure can be so discouraging, but it sounds like you're facing it with the right attitude.

I was put on Boniva at the same time I started Femara because of bone density issues. I did not have osteoporosis, but did have osteopenia. Like Cavediver, I also take VitD and Calcium magnesium along with it.

Again, Great news!

Chickadee
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Susan
    no mets is good news. Sorry about the osteoporosis. Members of my family have it and my rheumatologist is staying on top of me having bone density test every year.
    {{hugs}} Char