Genetic tesing ?

Options
mom2greatkids
mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
My oncologist wants me to be genetically tested. Since there is no family history he doesn't believe it's genetic. My sister's gynecologist says that it's important for me to be genetically tested. I also have a 20 yr. old daughter. My sister is almost 42.

My question is this, how is this paid for? Do insurance companies pay for it? I certainly have no financial means of being able to pay for it.

Have any of you been genetically tested? How does it work?

Thanks Ladies!

Comments

• upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My oncologist recommended
    My oncologist recommended genetic testing shortly after diagnosis and my insurance at the time approved it. I opted not too, due to concerns of insurance discriminating in future if a genetic basis was found. Later, out of concern for family members to know one way or the other I checked into it again. New insurance denied it but I checked on cost with genetic counselling office and they told me if i paid for consult and they found testing to be indicated it would be paid for. However, I did have enough indicators to consider it a possibility and the testing was paid for. Tests were negative yet results come with a caveat that this was only 'known genetic factors' nor could it address any environmental factors that could have affected other family members. However, I was thrilled to share the negative finding with my family.
  • lulu1010
    lulu1010 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    genetic testing
    My mother had breast cancer and I have been diagnosed with PPC. The doctor suggested genetic testing and I agreed and had it done. Mine was positive. The insurance paid for it. They cannot hold it against you when you get health insurance or for employment issues. It may affect your ability to get life insurance and disability insurance so you need to have that in place before you have the testing done. Since the mutation has been identified on my gene the testing will be cheaper for my family (brothers, sisters, neices, cousins etc.)as they only have to look for that mutation.
    Knowing I am positive will help the doctors to pick chemos that are effective against any recurrance I may have as the cancer from the mutation gives off certain proteins that are treated with specific chemos.
    If you have no family history of cancer insurance may be reluctant to pay. I think the majority of cancers are not of genetic origin. All of this info is as I understand it from my experience. I suggest you talk with your doctor to get the facts. Hope this helps a little.
  • lulu1010
    lulu1010 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    genetic testing
    My mother had breast cancer and I have been diagnosed with PPC. The doctor suggested genetic testing and I agreed and had it done. Mine was positive. The insurance paid for it. They cannot hold it against you when you get health insurance or for employment issues. It may affect your ability to get life insurance and disability insurance so you need to have that in place before you have the testing done. Since the mutation has been identified on my gene the testing will be cheaper for my family (brothers, sisters, neices, cousins etc.)as they only have to look for that mutation.
    Knowing I am positive will help the doctors to pick chemos that are effective against any recurrance I may have as the cancer from the mutation gives off certain proteins that are treated with specific chemos.
    If you have no family history of cancer insurance may be reluctant to pay. I think the majority of cancers are not of genetic origin. All of this info is as I understand it from my experience. I suggest you talk with your doctor to get the facts. Hope this helps a little.
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    I called my insurance
    I called my insurance company. (I have private insurance). They do NOT pay for genetic counseling. So, I guess that takes care of that for now.
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed I
    When I was first diagnosed I thought, "OMG I am the first with cancer in my family." Then I started asking questions. Then it was "OMG what kind of cancer have we not had?"

My 1st line cousins have had colon, stomach, and lung cancer. At least those that we know about. We are a huge family. It would be interesting to know what else we might have ongoing. We are littered with cancer. I wonder if we were exposed enviromentally to something.

My grandmother is in her late 90's. She is in full dementia and poor health. She complains her abdomen hurts all the time. The doctors give her pain meds. They have done some investigational procedures but have found nothing. They figure there is something wrong up in the harder to reach areas of the intestines. Her age and health make most preocedures so high risk that they treat her pallatively.

Despite this getting people in my family to take cancer seriously is hard. Before I was diagnosed I screamed from the roof tops to the women in the family to get checked for PCOS. I think the healthcare system does not encourage prevention. I know most of the family....well all but a handfull can't afford preventative care.
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    I was genetically tested and
    I was genetically tested and there is no real history in my family either. Mom had breast cancer but she is okay. My test came came back negative, which is good. They just made me swish around scope in my mouth twice then spit it into a cup and that was it. I had charity care cover it and that is thru my hospital.