What do you think of 4+ hours waiting time?

2»

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

I would
    I would not wait that long--It is ridiculous--a patient's health is very IMPORTANT and should not be tossed aside like this office is doing. Find some other oncologist to see and fast.

Send a bill for the time you have had to wait--your time is important as well. Never pay a co-pay if you have had to wait and let your insurance company know what this office practices or doesn't practice---true patient care.
    Let the hospital director know--if they are affiliated with a hospital--which they should be---because he/she may have no idea what is going on there and may need to have some heads roll.

Best of luck and many hugs,
    Margo

Fire this one and look for a
    Fire this one and look for a new one!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

same thing sorta
    happened to my mom but she never waited four hours.. but a few times 2 hours...... (she had uterine, not breast cancer ) her gyn/onc. also a surgeon was constantly running late, he had 2 or 3 satellite offices, was often called back into surgery . They kept electronic and physical records and I remember at least once, them Misplacing her chart. What is it like when you finally get to see the onc. Does he take his time, answer your questions, listen to you, or is he always running, speed reading thru your chart, halfway down the hall while you're still trying to digest what he's saying. That's how my mother's onc. was , After she passed when I questioned him about certain things, he admitted to me that he "was overbooked yet again" .. I agree,Run don't walk to the nearest exit...

I agree with others
    I agree with others.Go.I did 2 times in one year and almost 3.One doctor I had for 25 years.It wasn't so much of disorganizing but not caring as much as he used to.The other one I only had 5 months and then I got another urologist. If they don't listen to me or act like they care I am gone. I've been misdiagnoed to many times.Put off like nothing is wrong and ended up in the hospital one time for a month.I should have walked then but didn't.Eventually he supposedly moved up in the hosptial but not a doctor status.

My breast surgeon delayed my biopsy and I wasn't happy but my dx was a good one.Non invasive DCIS.I stayed and things are better now.That time I THINK some of it was his office.I called 3 times and was told they would give him a message to look at my mammo.Finally they said make a appt. WHY??? That delayed my biopsy for 6 weeks.Finally he contacted the breast center to do the biopsy.CANCER.

So that makes 4 times I should have gone. I did go 3 of those times.My bc surgeon, my internal medicine doctor, my gasto doctor and my urolgoist were the 4. Now I have a new gastro and urologist. My new intenal medicine doctor took over the other one who moved into a postition in the hospital(not a doctor status).

For your situation that disorganizing is serious and not called for.I can't believe the doctor has no clue UNLESS the doctor isn't much different. Ask your breast surgeon to recommend a new oncologist.

Lynn Smith
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I agree...totally not
    I agree...totally not acceptable...if you can why not try to find another onc. before they make some awful mistake that could be serious.

This isn't acceptable, and,
    This isn't acceptable, and, you should try to find a new oncologist. You should be treated better than this.

Good luck!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

I agree with others
    I agree with others.Go.I did 2 times in one year and almost 3.One doctor I had for 25 years.It wasn't so much of disorganizing but not caring as much as he used to.The other one I only had 5 months and then I got another urologist. If they don't listen to me or act like they care I am gone. I've been misdiagnoed to many times.Put off like nothing is wrong and ended up in the hospital one time for a month.I should have walked then but didn't.Eventually he supposedly moved up in the hosptial but not a doctor status.

My breast surgeon delayed my biopsy and I wasn't happy but my dx was a good one.Non invasive DCIS.I stayed and things are better now.That time I THINK some of it was his office.I called 3 times and was told they would give him a message to look at my mammo.Finally they said make a appt. WHY??? That delayed my biopsy for 6 weeks.Finally he contacted the breast center to do the biopsy.CANCER.

So that makes 4 times I should have gone. I did go 3 of those times.My bc surgeon, my internal medicine doctor, my gasto doctor and my urolgoist were the 4. Now I have a new gastro and urologist. My new intenal medicine doctor took over the other one who moved into a postition in the hospital(not a doctor status).

For your situation that disorganizing is serious and not called for.I can't believe the doctor has no clue UNLESS the doctor isn't much different. Ask your breast surgeon to recommend a new oncologist.

Lynn Smith

Get out Get out Get out of there
    If they are screwing up that bad I wouldn't and couldn't trust the drs. who are diagnosing me, and treating me. You can't afford to have one dr. slip, make a mistake, it could cost you your life.
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Unexceptable
    A four hour wait is unexceptable. Change doctors immediately. Your time is worth as much as your doctors. If you must stick with this doctor call before hand to see if they are running on time, if not have them call you when they are ready for you.

Terry
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    mom62 said:

Unexceptable
    A four hour wait is unexceptable. Change doctors immediately. Your time is worth as much as your doctors. If you must stick with this doctor call before hand to see if they are running on time, if not have them call you when they are ready for you.

Terry

@ mom62 - Terry, I think I might just try that...calling ahead to see if they are on schedule. I'd much rather wait at home or anywhere else than there! After all, it's a hospital - there are sick people there! :D

The dr appears to be competent, but yeah it seems he's already backing out of the room before I even ask any questions. I already got into a bit of a tiff with him when I mentioned that Tamoxifen was on the state's list* of known cancer causing agents. He denied that it was/is and I simply replied that I was not going to debate the topic with him.

* http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single120806.pdf
    (pg. 16)
  • T7
    T7 Member Posts: 6
    I'm STILL Waiting....
    I can relate to your wait, even though mine was "only" 1.5 hours. My appointment was scheduled for 2:40 p.m. and she came in the office at 4:20 p.m. After several minutes another physician poked his head in the room and asked to see her for a minute. I jokinly said, "but I need her too." She did apologize for the wait, but I didn't say that it was okay (like I normally would have). Unbelievable!

My drive is an hour to the facility in a large city. I go there because it's a university hospital specializing in breast cancer treatment. I was done with my appointment just in time to hit rush hour traffic for my drive home. Not sure if I should change Oncologist's. She's a young doctor with apparent issues of following a set schedule because this isn't the first time this has happened. I'm trying to decide what to do in the next three months before my next appointment. Total time spent on my one appointment for the day was 5 hrs.!