I'm new

I was dx for colon cancer in Oct. 2010. Had surgery to remove tumor and it was successful. Started me on chemo, but only had four treatments. Had to stop because of bad side effects. Now I am on Erbitux. I don't have any sign of cancer in my organs but I have many lympnodes that are effective with caner. Just did my second treatment of Erbitux today.

If anyone has been on or is on Erbitux what was/is you experience, and how do you pay for it. My Medicare only pays 80% and I have to pay the 20%. I have to have a treatment every week for the rest of my life providing it works.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    Sorry that you have had to search us out, but you will find many answers on this board. I'm not familiar with what you are on but others have been and still are on and they will chime in. Just wanted to welcome you to the board and hope you do well with your continued treatment.

Kim
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
    Wanted to welcome you
    I do not have any experience with Erbitux but I know that others have and will give you some advice. Besides that you found a great group of people that are a great source of support:) welcome -Melissa
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    You have options
    I was going to have to pay 10% until I hit my annual limit, so I am guessing you're paying something like $1,200 a treatment.

Where do you live? Are there any state programs that might help?

Right away though, you should click on this:

Bristol Meyers Squibb Erbitux Reimbursement

There are a couple of links on that site, one of them may be able to assist.

Good luck!
  • Grannysmith
    Grannysmith Member Posts: 12
    Buckwirth said:

You have options
    I was going to have to pay 10% until I hit my annual limit, so I am guessing you're paying something like $1,200 a treatment.

Where do you live? Are there any state programs that might help?

Right away though, you should click on this:

Bristol Meyers Squibb Erbitux Reimbursement

There are a couple of links on that site, one of them may be able to assist.

Good luck!

erbitux
    thank you for the information.
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Hi I didn't have the exact
    Hi I didn't have the exact treatment you did but I did have colorectal and 6/12 lymph nodes. I will be talking with you again soon I'm sure :)

Love, Gail
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    welcome
    dear grannysmith,

i have friend on erbitux, its keeping him going when his onc said to get ready to die.
    he has complained about the acne all over his body but seems to be able to manage this side effect.

are you in australia ? we have medicare here ?

hugs,
    pete
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Just wanted to welcome you to the board
    Your among a fairly knowledgeable bunch of people who I like to call my online family. :-)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Erbitux
    I've been on this for 4+ years due to recurring small nodes in my lungs. It's done a great job for slowing their growth and/or eliminating them. I did start out with every week, then a double does every 2 weeks (which I think is the norm...) I only take it once every 3 weeks at this point. I'm a little surprised that they are telling you that you are on it every week for the rest of your life. What stage are you?

I noticed Pete has a friend on it as a last attempt option. That is not the case with me unless I get run over by a streetcar in the next few days...

Currently my insurance pays for the majority of the treatments, I've got co-pays etc.
    Here are some past posts about Erbitux. We seem to average about 1 new person on it every 2 weeks or so.
    More links here from conversations on this site about erbitux.
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/195249
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/193835
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/191323
    -phil
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    I am also on it
    Hi,

I have had 9 rounds of Erbitux along with Folfiri. The treatment is working very well and surprisingly I don't have much of a rash, just a little dry skin on my face. I don't think there are too many side effects with just erbitux, but I have not taken it by itself yet.
    Hope it works well for you.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • fatmomma
    fatmomma Member Posts: 95

I am also on it
    Hi,

I have had 9 rounds of Erbitux along with Folfiri. The treatment is working very well and surprisingly I don't have much of a rash, just a little dry skin on my face. I don't think there are too many side effects with just erbitux, but I have not taken it by itself yet.
    Hope it works well for you.

Hugs,
    Sara

Grannysmith is my mother
    Talked to her today. She felt pretty good. Her skin has a little bit of a rash. She says it feels tight. This was only her third treatment. We'll know in about 6 weeks if it's working. She was approved for some supplemental insurance so that will help pay for her part of the treatment.

Thank you all for being so nice to my mother. We live in Arkansas.

Love Fatmomma
  • suzywingnut
    suzywingnut Member Posts: 10
    Welcome
    Just getting the swing of the boards here. I am finding it to be a nice group. I don't have any experience with your situation. I was diagnosed Nov 19, 2010.
  • atrue
    atrue Member Posts: 29
    fatmomma said:

Grannysmith is my mother
    Talked to her today. She felt pretty good. Her skin has a little bit of a rash. She says it feels tight. This was only her third treatment. We'll know in about 6 weeks if it's working. She was approved for some supplemental insurance so that will help pay for her part of the treatment.

Thank you all for being so nice to my mother. We live in Arkansas.

Love Fatmomma

arkansas
    what part of arkansas? i live in arkansas and i found some excellent help with methodist..i am a stage 4 colon cancer survior. ( thank you jesus) i am BEAST free right now
  • fatmomma
    atrue said:

arkansas
    what part of arkansas? i live in arkansas and i found some excellent help with methodist..i am a stage 4 colon cancer survior. ( thank you jesus) i am BEAST free right now

My mother is from Marion
    My mother is from Marion Arkansas....please tell us more. Thanks.
  • atrue
    atrue Member Posts: 29
    fatmomma said:

My mother is from Marion
    My mother is from Marion Arkansas....please tell us more. Thanks.

arkansas
    i am from marion too....methodist central has many programs that help with medical bills..when i was first dx i didnt have insurance i didnt have to pay anything i was approved for a hardship...they paid for everything surgery,meds, and chemo...i would tell anyone to go there...i still go there for my check ups...they have some student doctors but they were great with me...i have insurance now and i wouldnt go anywhere else...they even put my port in...it is an amazing place...let me know if i can help or if you have any questions ask away
  • fatmomma
    atrue said:

arkansas
    i am from marion too....methodist central has many programs that help with medical bills..when i was first dx i didnt have insurance i didnt have to pay anything i was approved for a hardship...they paid for everything surgery,meds, and chemo...i would tell anyone to go there...i still go there for my check ups...they have some student doctors but they were great with me...i have insurance now and i wouldnt go anywhere else...they even put my port in...it is an amazing place...let me know if i can help or if you have any questions ask away

Thank you. I will relate
    Thank you. I will relate that to my mother. We need all the help we can get. Her username is Grannysmith if you want to contact her. I know she would love to here from you. Once again, Thanks.

Her daughter.....fatmomma LOL.
  • Grannysmith
    Grannysmith Member Posts: 12
    PhillieG said:

Erbitux
    I've been on this for 4+ years due to recurring small nodes in my lungs. It's done a great job for slowing their growth and/or eliminating them. I did start out with every week, then a double does every 2 weeks (which I think is the norm...) I only take it once every 3 weeks at this point. I'm a little surprised that they are telling you that you are on it every week for the rest of your life. What stage are you?

I noticed Pete has a friend on it as a last attempt option. That is not the case with me unless I get run over by a streetcar in the next few days...

Currently my insurance pays for the majority of the treatments, I've got co-pays etc.
    Here are some past posts about Erbitux. We seem to average about 1 new person on it every 2 weeks or so.
    More links here from conversations on this site about erbitux.
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/195249
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/193835
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/191323
    -phil

erbitux
    thanks, you certainly lifted my spirits.
  • fatmomma

erbitux
    thanks, you certainly lifted my spirits.

Spirits
    mom, I thought your spirits were already filled. Love you.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Check to see if you have a
    Check to see if you have a local Wellness Community. What they do is help negotiate one's medical expenses. They have a lot of haleth information and most geared towards cancer. Many people I have spoke to got help from the Wellness Community to renegotiate their expenses and the medical providers to accept the insurance payment or the Wellness Community came up with a grant to help pay the medical bills. Each community has a group and each community group has different strengths.

Best Always, mike