Travel Insurance

lekkerone
lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
I really hope this question does not seem too frivolous in light of so many suffering right now. I had a lobectomy last December and I am going to South Africa (from Canada) in October. I am not having an easy time getting travel medical insurance and wonder if others have met with the same difficulties.

Comments

• Ex_Rock_n_Roller
    Ex_Rock_n_Roller Member Posts: 281 Member
    Being the sort who likes to travel ...
    ... I don't think it's at all a frivolous question. I also don't know anything about the subject. I know when I was planning a trip to Mexico (never came off, but may later) we had to check whether our current insurance "traveled," and if so, to which hospitals, but I can't picture any coverage traveling as far as SA, which you have probably already found out, since you're asking about travel insurance.

In a quick net search on "travel insurance pre-existing conditions," I ran across:

"This varies from company to company. For example, Stage 4 cancer will not have pre-existing conditions coverage with Travelex and Travel Insured, but CSA, Travel Guard & TravelSafe can cover it."

It probably also depends on what the receiving end of the equation accepts, even if you can get the insurance. I kind of wonder if you might be on your own for all but catastrophic stuff, with anything related to your condition not being covered.

Interesting subject. Best of luck, and let us know if you find out anything favorable.
  • lekkerone
    I learned something valuable.
    I spent a very frustrating day yesterday putting a lot of checks on the forms of various insurers. Because I am Canadian, all of my health issues are covered here. This morning I smartened up and phoned the head office of my bank and they offer travel medical. I could actually talk to a person instead of checking off the appropriate answer. So I could tell her when we got to lungs, that yes I had had cancer and I had surgery and the cancer was gone and I was receiving no further treatment. I did not want any pre-existing conditions covered (my doctor's advice) and so was able to buy insurance for South Africa for less than $200.00 and am well covered.
    My advice to anyone is to talk to a real person and don't do it online. I am very relieved to have it sorted out even if I don't go until October.
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    lekkerone said:

I spent a very frustrating day yesterday putting a lot of checks on the forms of various insurers. Because I am Canadian, all of my health issues are covered here. This morning I smartened up and phoned the head office of my bank and they offer travel medical. I could actually talk to a person instead of checking off the appropriate answer. So I could tell her when we got to lungs, that yes I had had cancer and I had surgery and the cancer was gone and I was receiving no further treatment. I did not want any pre-existing conditions covered (my doctor's advice) and so was able to buy insurance for South Africa for less than $200.00 and am well covered.
    My advice to anyone is to talk to a real person and don't do it online. I am very relieved to have it sorted out even if I don't go until October.

How exciting!!!!!
    I am so glad you found an easy fix for your insurance dilemma. I hope you have a great time in South Africa....how exciting! Enjoy and Godspeed to you lekkerone. May your travel be safe. God bless.
    Cheryl
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone said:

Thanks
    I am not going until October but I like to have everything in place early and know where I stand. I love South Africa and have friends in Cape Town and Johannesburg so I am anxious to go. Love those animals too.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    lekkerone said:

Thanks
    I am not going until October but I like to have everything in place early and know where I stand. I love South Africa and have friends in Cape Town and Johannesburg so I am anxious to go. Love those animals too.

South Africa
    So happy that you found insurance before your trip and can now proceed with your travel plans.

Make sure you take plenty of pictures, especially of the animals, for all of us non-travelling survivors :)

Enjoy!!!
    Glenna
  • lekkerone
    Glenna M said:

South Africa
    So happy that you found insurance before your trip and can now proceed with your travel plans.

Make sure you take plenty of pictures, especially of the animals, for all of us non-travelling survivors :)

Enjoy!!!
    Glenna

Thanks
    Glenna if you enjoy the animal pictures there are lots on my Facebook albums.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    lekkerone said:

Thanks
    Glenna if you enjoy the animal pictures there are lots on my Facebook albums.

Diane
    Just checked out your 2 albums from your previous visit to South Africa...beautiful doesn't even begin to describe them. Especially the elephant family!!! You also have some of the most beautiful scenery pictures I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing them!!
  • lekkerone
    Glenna M said:

Diane
    Just checked out your 2 albums from your previous visit to South Africa...beautiful doesn't even begin to describe them. Especially the elephant family!!! You also have some of the most beautiful scenery pictures I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing them!!

Thanks Glenna
    It really makes me happy if I can share my photos and bring some pleasure to folks. They are very amateurish but I love to take pictures of what I see. That elephant family is one of my favorite. You can imagine how much fun they are to watch. I am blessed to have good friends in Cape Town and Johannesburg or I would never be able to afford to go there.