Help! Tamoxifen & leg cramps

helen e
helen e Member Posts: 223
I have been on tamoxifen for about 1 1/2 years and now all of a sudden I am getting cramps in my calf. I wouldn't be so worried but they are in the same place as the blood clot I had after my mastectomy. They don't last that long and I have been eating a ton of fruit too. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Helen

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Maybe a bar of soap can help?
    Sometimes it can be a lack of potassium. What does your oncologist say? I know many for cramps have put a bar of soap, like Ivory or Dove, under the covers by their feet at night and this helps. I know it sounds crazy, but, it does work.

Good luck,

Jan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Maybe a bar of soap can help?
    Sometimes it can be a lack of potassium. What does your oncologist say? I know many for cramps have put a bar of soap, like Ivory or Dove, under the covers by their feet at night and this helps. I know it sounds crazy, but, it does work.

Good luck,

Jan

bananas
    I have heard of the soap but I have never tried it...but I just ate bananas-which seemed to help...
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Helen,
    since on Tamoxifen for the past 5 years, I have had several MAJOR Charlie horse attacks in the middle of the night...my calf is a ball and my leg is contorted...literally can't help from yelling. I guess it's the Tamoxifen...Ouch! I never had them before.

Sylvia
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    sea60 said:

Helen,
    since on Tamoxifen for the past 5 years, I have had several MAJOR Charlie horse attacks in the middle of the night...my calf is a ball and my leg is contorted...literally can't help from yelling. I guess it's the Tamoxifen...Ouch! I never had them before.

Sylvia

Helen
    I do not want to scare you, however please talk to your doctor and check your leg. Ultrasound usually is very useful to rule out blood clot and making sure that you have a normal blood circulation. It is important since you have had a history of blood and one of rare side effects of Tamoxifen - blood clots.
    Hugs
  • minnich1988
    minnich1988 Member Posts: 1
    leg cramps
    My oncologist said to take magnesium and it has helped. It's worth the try and good luck.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544

leg cramps
    My oncologist said to take magnesium and it has helped. It's worth the try and good luck.

leg cramps
    Leg cramps have been a big prob. for me also while on tamoxifen. I keep a heating pad plugged in (but turned off) by my bed so that I can turn the heating pad on immediately when the leg cramps wake me up in the night. I think I'll try some of the other remedies mentioned here, also.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

leg cramps

I agree with New Flower: you
    I agree with New Flower: you should talk to your doctor. One evening, I had wicked cramps in my leg and foot, and soon after, I had blood clots. It's important for your doctor to know this so he can determine whether you should continue on Tamoxifen.

Exercise and milk sometimes help with cramps.

Joyce
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

leg cramps

I agree with New Flower: you should talk to your doctor. One evening, I had wicked cramps in my leg and foot, and soon after, I had blood clots. It's important for your doctor to know this so he can determine whether you should continue on Tamoxifen.

Joyce
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    I asked at the pharmacy and
    I asked at the pharmacy and they told me to drink Tonic water because it has quine in it. Also an extra calcium tablet helps me out. Ask your doctor about these. My said it was ok to use that. Also the banana works but not all the time. What is the soap thing? Never heard that one. Diana
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Helen
    I'm on Arimidex instead of Tamoxifen but I get hand, foot and leg cramps that wake me from a deep sleep. Very painful and I have to get up. I've got the bar of soap in the bed and tried drinking tonic water for the past 2 years. I don't know what causes them. They are infrequent now.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jk1952 said:

Joyce

Do talk to your oncologist
    Do talk to your oncologist about this to make sure that isn't a blood clot. Bananas are high in potassium, so, be sure and include them in your diet.

Good luck!