Picture this

Radioactive34
Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
I took time of work to go in for the port placement. I was tickled pink that I could have it done today. I asked the anesthesia clinic about any prepatory things for last night and this morning....none...if you need some the doctor will call you tonight(last night) otherwise they will talk to you at bedside.

Ok....thei morning I had a small bowl of cereal with milk. I disclose it and the nurses checking me in, get the look...."another idiot patient who did not follow instructions." I was pist and downright scared they would not get this in prior to Monday. I broke down crying.

I let them know, I asked about the prep and not one nurse mentioned food restrictions. And since they handled the abdominal surgery beautifully I did not have any reason to question their advice.

One of the nurses was trying to comfort me. I explained to her that I was scared shitless of chemo. The port would have made that fear easier to deal with. The nurses got on the phone called the doctors and were able to reschedule me for tomorrow....same bat place ....same bat time.

I am still crying. It was just demoralizing. So...tomorrow I go back.. I may miss more time from work but at least the port will be in.

Yoli

Comments

• kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Doesn't it make you crazy?
    I showed up for chemo one time and was asked if I had gotten my bloodwork. I said no one told me to. I was told that my onc requests bloodwork for each infusion while other doctors don't. I lost it. I was still sick from the last infusion but had dragged myself in so I could just get it overwith. I started crying and begged them to not send me home. They checked with another doctor and decided to go ahead with the infusion. I usually do not speak up but my emotions got the best of me.

Karen
  • kikiz
    kikiz Member Posts: 94
    kikz said:

Doesn't it make you crazy?
    I showed up for chemo one time and was asked if I had gotten my bloodwork. I said no one told me to. I was told that my onc requests bloodwork for each infusion while other doctors don't. I lost it. I was still sick from the last infusion but had dragged myself in so I could just get it overwith. I started crying and begged them to not send me home. They checked with another doctor and decided to go ahead with the infusion. I usually do not speak up but my emotions got the best of me.

Karen

I feel so bad for you
    It bothers me so much when I hear about things like this happening. I sometimes think that some in the medical community think we should just know what they went 4 to 8 years of school for. My heart breaks for you and I understand your fear.

I have learned to ask for written instructions on everything. My Doctors and Nurses are wonderful but I have had a few incidences prior to Cancer that made me realize that things can be overwhelming when you are talking to them and having it to look at later helps.

When people ask me about Chemo, I always tell them it is like when you have to have a root canal. You hear all the horror stories about how bad it is but people still have them and survive. They even feel better later.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Extra Hugs
    Lori
  • VickiReed
    VickiReed Member Posts: 66
    XXXX
    Sending you a big, much needed hug. I hope all goes well getting your port. I can feel your frustration. I have gotten upset at the hospital more than once. Sometimes those nurses (who have extremely tough jobs) forget their patients are going through all new tough and stressing stuff. I don't have a port but have considered lately about getting one. The endless IV's are no fun. Let us know how you make out getting your port and your first round of chemo. Good Luck warrior!
    Vicki
  • beth1465
    beth1465 Member Posts: 63 Member
    I just got a port placed
    I just got a port placed last month...very easy procedure. And I've had lots of chemo. Don't be afraid. It's not near as bad as all the horror stories make you think. I expect you will breeze right through it!

Beth
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Update
    I got the port in on Friday. There was some residual pain yesterday but it is so much better today. I was so scared of not having it in time for tomorrow's chemo.

Today they had a cancer survivor day at the clinic where I am getting treated. There were not a lot of people there. It felt like a big support group meeting. My doctor talked about his experience with cancer. Some of the staff at the clinic had their own battles with cancer. I did not mingle much. I tend to be fairly quiet in groups of people. I was happy to be there.

On a great note, I was aprehensive about where I was going to be when they dripped the chemo. I went back into the infusion room and got a look at the area. The recliners were set up semi-private. Most of them even had a nice view out the window.

I am feeling a little less scared. The build up to today, my husband left for overseas, and tomorrow was just horrible. I did really good when I saw my hubby through security. I was not a mess, hell I did not even shed a tear.

The journey is truely beginning. I am officially on my own with this. Friends and family are coming, but in the middle of the night when the cancer monster rears it's head.....I will have to just make sure to remember my 4 cats have sharp claws. They will help me take on the monster. Then cuddle with me and purr.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338

Update
    I got the port in on Friday. There was some residual pain yesterday but it is so much better today. I was so scared of not having it in time for tomorrow's chemo.

Today they had a cancer survivor day at the clinic where I am getting treated. There were not a lot of people there. It felt like a big support group meeting. My doctor talked about his experience with cancer. Some of the staff at the clinic had their own battles with cancer. I did not mingle much. I tend to be fairly quiet in groups of people. I was happy to be there.

On a great note, I was aprehensive about where I was going to be when they dripped the chemo. I went back into the infusion room and got a look at the area. The recliners were set up semi-private. Most of them even had a nice view out the window.

I am feeling a little less scared. The build up to today, my husband left for overseas, and tomorrow was just horrible. I did really good when I saw my hubby through security. I was not a mess, hell I did not even shed a tear.

The journey is truely beginning. I am officially on my own with this. Friends and family are coming, but in the middle of the night when the cancer monster rears it's head.....I will have to just make sure to remember my 4 cats have sharp claws. They will help me take on the monster. Then cuddle with me and purr.

not alone
    When I was first diagnosed and starting chemo I didn't know about this site. I was terrified of chemo.... you know horror stories, reading pamphlets about side effects etc. Now I tell the chemo nurses that I'm a pro :). You can do this and it will be so much easier as you know what to expect. I have chemo this Tuesday and then the next week. I'll feel yucky for about 5 days this week and maybe three next week. I have a dog who seems to know when I need some love, so cuddle up with your kitties and you'll get through this.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343

Update

Glad things are coming
    Glad things are coming along..sorry about your husband having to leave. I was so "skeerd" my first infusion that I ended up texting this board as the pre meds were dripping into me. I finished a couple months ago. It went very fast.