Funny story; husband cares

robang13
robang13 Member Posts: 333
So, last night I am lying in bed and hubby comes home from work. He's looking at me weird and says " I was driving home and listening to John Tesh on the radio" Here goes, I thought. He continues " He was talking about signs and symptoms like always being tired. I thought it sounds like you. Here is a number to call about depression" I looked at him and shook my head; I am NOT depressed! I am just 10 days out of radiation and 2 surgeries and all the complications and a very sick looking breast! It doesn't all just go away that quickly. But it was nice of him to "think" I could be depressed so I wasn't mean to him : )

Funny thing is, I'm not depressed but was about 18 months ago when our dog of 13 years died. THEN I didn't want to get out of bed and wanted to sleep. He didn't notice that though it lasted a long time. I didn't WANT to get out of bed then, I had lost my best friend. NOW I want to get out of bed and not sleep so much but can't because of pain issues. Totally different scenarios.

But, he cared and believe me, it took a LOT for him to say that to me. Just thought you would like this story~~

Angela

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Actually, he is smarter and
    Actually, he is smarter and sweeter than you think!

Cancer survivors are at higher risk for anxiety and depression and it is important to really monitor yourself for symptoms. I am glad you are not feeling depressed (or anxious), but, if you find yourself having trouble coping later, remember that it can be very common and very real. Let your oncologist know if you do feel overwhelmed because he/she will understand and be able to recommend something compatible with your treatment.

And I'm hoping and praying that you don't have problems! But isn't it nice to have some support if you do :-)
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

Actually, he is smarter and
    Actually, he is smarter and sweeter than you think!

Cancer survivors are at higher risk for anxiety and depression and it is important to really monitor yourself for symptoms. I am glad you are not feeling depressed (or anxious), but, if you find yourself having trouble coping later, remember that it can be very common and very real. Let your oncologist know if you do feel overwhelmed because he/she will understand and be able to recommend something compatible with your treatment.

And I'm hoping and praying that you don't have problems! But isn't it nice to have some support if you do :-)

Angela,
    Bless your husbands heart he meant well. You definitely know him well enough to not be insulted by his comments. I am sure in his eyes, watching you go through all your treatments to get better is as hard on him as re-living all you had to endure with your beloved pet. He loves you and it truly shows.. Bless his heart...

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Very sweet
    That was very sweet of him to try to help, just in the half-backwards way many men are...mine included.

Glad you are mentally feeling great, hope the body catches up soon,

Jennifer
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    grams2jc said:

Very sweet
    That was very sweet of him to try to help, just in the half-backwards way many men are...mine included.

Glad you are mentally feeling great, hope the body catches up soon,

Jennifer

@jennifer,
    Aren't they funny

@jennifer,

Aren't they funny creatures?

At first I was blown away and in a depressed state, but once I started rads and felt I was doing something I felt better. I am too pissed to be depressed : ) But then again, I haven't had to go through what many others have, so I am lucky in that sense. I can't say for sure that if it was worse I wouldn't be depressed.