CT scan

deltafun
deltafun Member Posts: 50
Hi have had four rounds of Chemo Carbo/Taxol and radiation so far but my oncologist is not going to do any CT scans until the treatments are all over, I have two more to go. I am just wondering if it's normal for them not to take any scans until the end of your treatments are done. I ask him if he thought the treatments are working and he said he was 99&9/10ths sure the treatments are working.

Does this sound right?

Comments

• medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    yes
    I went through the whole deal and never had a scan until it was all done. That was even too soon because there was inflammation from the radiation and it prevented a clear scan. Anyway, it all ended well and I was clear (sclc, '08). I guess it depends on the case and the doctor, but I wouldn't worry if I were you, I would take it as a lucky sign ;).
    Cheers
    Medi
  • AlanRinHBG
    AlanRinHBG Member Posts: 121
    medi_2 said:

yes
    I went through the whole deal and never had a scan until it was all done. That was even too soon because there was inflammation from the radiation and it prevented a clear scan. Anyway, it all ended well and I was clear (sclc, '08). I guess it depends on the case and the doctor, but I wouldn't worry if I were you, I would take it as a lucky sign ;).
    Cheers
    Medi

yes
    I concur
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    3 months
    In my case, following a right lower lung lobectomy, I received chemotherapy as well (also carbo and taxol) and was provided what seems to be a somewhat 'traditional' three month cycle of CT or PET scans for the first couple of years, followed by extention to six month intervals and soon to be once a year for a couple of years if nothing shows up.

But as others have indicated, other plans are not unusual. It is critical, though, that you trust OncoMan or find one you do trust so that you do not retain recurrent doubts and fears about his/her treatment scenarios. You probably have enough on your plate without also worrying about whether your doctor knows what he/she is doing.

Take care,

Joe
  • Ex_Rock_n_Roller
    Ex_Rock_n_Roller Member Posts: 281 Member
    Ditto
    No scan until a month past end of treatments, and then the three-month thing after that. "You're breathing better, right?" was the oncodoc's assessment of whether it was working. So far so right, one year on.
  • KMN
    KMN Member Posts: 6
    Deltafun: Look at lung
    Deltafun: Look at lung cancer stage 3B. Jack
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    KMN said:

I wanted a scan right away
    I wanted a scan right away to "SEE" if they had got it all. My onc assured me that the surgery, chemo, radiation had done the job. He said, "what would I be scanning for, we got it all". I am on the three month cycle too. I did have one xray because of some tightness in my chest which revealed some markings, and had a CT right away because of that, but ultimately a bronchoscopy proved the markings to be scarring from radiation. I am a year out from my initial diagnosis of NSCLC 3a and show no evidence of disease.
  • deltafun
    deltafun Member Posts: 50
    KMN said:

Stage 3b
    Hi Jack I did see your post to me this morning thanks.

It is helpful to read about others that are still here long after their 1st dianoses. When I ws first told, hell I thought I was going to die that week LOL. I see now there is hope for a long life.

Thanks again

Frank
  • AlanRinHBG
    deltafun said:

Stage 3b
    Hi Jack I did see your post to me this morning thanks.

It is helpful to read about others that are still here long after their 1st dianoses. When I ws first told, hell I thought I was going to die that week LOL. I see now there is hope for a long life.

Thanks again

Frank

stage left
    I was stage 4 2 years ago this month. Going to 6 month intervals. 2 years ago, I thought I was a zombie. not anymore. YEAH US.
  • DianaJ
    DianaJ Member Posts: 15
    Carbo/Taxol cycles and scans
    I have just had my third cycle (3 week intervals) of carboplatin and taxol (first line treatment for stage 4 NSCLC squamous diagnosed March 2011. I had a CT scan done just before my third chemo infusion which showed that I had 33% tumor shrinkage (I had a large 8cm mass) and reduced trace pleural effusion, and adrenal gland going cystic, and pelvic bone lesion appearing to be gone (after radiation treatments prior to chemo). My oncologist will do more scans after my 4th cycle and decide whether to go on with additional first line chemo; he says 90% of people will not get further benefits and will remain stable after the 4th cycle.
    He has offered me to sign up for the LUCANIX third phase study if go on maintenance and doing 3 month scan/watch after the 4th cycle.
    Lots of questions remain.
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    All different
    I have (had) NCLC 3B no surgery, had ct-scan after 2nd chemo (carbo & taxol) and 8 radiation sessions in July 2008 to see how the chemo was working. Onco Dr. said that was the fastest he has ever saw a tumor shrink, so in my case i was glad it was done but i guess each case and Dr. is different. It is now 3 years since diagnosed, had ct-scan today and see Onco dr. wednesday (some scanxiety) .... Stay well all ... Dan
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58

stage left
    I was stage 4 2 years ago this month. Going to 6 month intervals. 2 years ago, I thought I was a zombie. not anymore. YEAH US.

Stage left
    so glad your doing so well Alan ---- Yeah Us !!!!!!!
  • soccerfreaks
    Dan620 said:

All different
    I have (had) NCLC 3B no surgery, had ct-scan after 2nd chemo (carbo & taxol) and 8 radiation sessions in July 2008 to see how the chemo was working. Onco Dr. said that was the fastest he has ever saw a tumor shrink, so in my case i was glad it was done but i guess each case and Dr. is different. It is now 3 years since diagnosed, had ct-scan today and see Onco dr. wednesday (some scanxiety) .... Stay well all ... Dan

Yep
    It seems from these posts that generally they do scans more quickly during and after therapy if there was no surgery involved. It sounds as though, in these cases, they are checking to see if the therapy (chemo and/or rads) is working, that is, to determine whether known tumors have been reduced, whereas for those of us who had surgery to remove the tumors/nodes, it seems, generally, that they wait in order to see if the cancer is going to grow back somewhere else because cancer takes its own sweet time in showing up ... sometimes.

Take care.
  • soccerfreaks
    mamacita5 said:

I wanted a scan right away
    I wanted a scan right away to "SEE" if they had got it all. My onc assured me that the surgery, chemo, radiation had done the job. He said, "what would I be scanning for, we got it all". I am on the three month cycle too. I did have one xray because of some tightness in my chest which revealed some markings, and had a CT right away because of that, but ultimately a bronchoscopy proved the markings to be scarring from radiation. I am a year out from my initial diagnosis of NSCLC 3a and show no evidence of disease.

:)
    Congrats, ma'am! Time to do the happy dance!

Take care,

Joe
  • AlanRinHBG

Yep
    It seems from these posts that generally they do scans more quickly during and after therapy if there was no surgery involved. It sounds as though, in these cases, they are checking to see if the therapy (chemo and/or rads) is working, that is, to determine whether known tumors have been reduced, whereas for those of us who had surgery to remove the tumors/nodes, it seems, generally, that they wait in order to see if the cancer is going to grow back somewhere else because cancer takes its own sweet time in showing up ... sometimes.

Take care.

yeah us
    You guys are all so awesome. congrats. what a great bunch of fighters. It gives me chills reading about all the success in all of our different therapies. I was told that if I went back today with the same thing, the treatment plan could be totally different.The future looks bright for our followers too. Happy day all, Alan