Effexor....

SoyFuerte
SoyFuerte Member Posts: 39 Member
Well another question... anyone on Effexor? I tred and I almost went crazy!!! literally!!! I stopped it. I was on estradiol for obvious reasons I stopped after they found my cancer. Hot flashes are BAAAAAD so she suggested Effexor... NOOOO imposible for me...

Comments

• CelticGoddess
    CelticGoddess Member Posts: 11
    Effexor
    I was put on Effexor (along with therapy)to treat my depression, and the happy side effect was that my hot flashes decreased by about 80%! (I take 225 mg) I am still depressed, but a lot less sweaty.
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    I have been on Effexor since
    I have been on Effexor since I started using Tamoxifen (Sep '10). My onco prescriped 75 mg of the XR (extended release). I slept great at night, but I would fall asleep at work every day. Then he cut me back to 37.5 of the XR. I couldn't sleep at night. So now I take 37.5 mg two times a day, but it's not the extended release. If I miss one dose, I get all dizzy and weird feeling, and anxious. I do use Xanax every so often if I get really anxious over a few days. I get very warm, esp when I'm active. It's not so much as a 'flash' of heat, I'm just either very hot or very cold. I get kind of queasy feeling in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work, because I'm too warm. My hair is wet a lot, and that makes me cold when I'm at work sitting under the air vent in my office.

I know my dose is pretty low. My neighbor takes 250 mg, I think. I'd probably never get out of bed if I had that much.

How long did you take it? How strong was it? Do you think you could try a lower dose, and perhaps not the extended release?

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Julie
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    JuJuBeez said:

I have been on Effexor since I started using Tamoxifen (Sep '10). My onco prescriped 75 mg of the XR (extended release). I slept great at night, but I would fall asleep at work every day. Then he cut me back to 37.5 of the XR. I couldn't sleep at night. So now I take 37.5 mg two times a day, but it's not the extended release. If I miss one dose, I get all dizzy and weird feeling, and anxious. I do use Xanax every so often if I get really anxious over a few days. I get very warm, esp when I'm active. It's not so much as a 'flash' of heat, I'm just either very hot or very cold. I get kind of queasy feeling in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work, because I'm too warm. My hair is wet a lot, and that makes me cold when I'm at work sitting under the air vent in my office.

I know my dose is pretty low. My neighbor takes 250 mg, I think. I'd probably never get out of bed if I had that much.

How long did you take it? How strong was it? Do you think you could try a lower dose, and perhaps not the extended release?

Julie

Wow, See we are all
    Wow, See we are all different and my night sweats are unbearable. I was going to try it but changed my mind.
    Why can't we have medicines that help us, but without all the bad side effects. In a perfect world.:)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I did not
    tolerate Effexor well. It didn't help my hot flashes and instead added extreme sweating! I also tried Savella with same result. My gyn then tried me on Prozac and that didn't help. So now I'm taking nothing and walk around with my little fan wiping the sweat off my face and feeling awful in my wet clothing! After suffering through horrendous hot flashes since I was 47 and now I'm 62, my gyn says I'm in that 1% that have bad hot flashes. Lucky me! I'm tired of it. My 3 sisters don't go through what I do and my mom rarely had a hot flash. Ain't life just full of cherries......
    Char
  • SoyFuerte
    SoyFuerte Member Posts: 39 Member
    JuJuBeez said:

Julie

Effexor
    I took Effexor only once!! and I couldn't stand it... well something was not right with those pills. I dont remember the prescription but at the pharmacy -walmart- they gave me the regular pills, not ER, I am thin -99- I took the 37.5 and doctor said increase to 75 gradually.... gradually? when increase it? how gradually? anyway, I took only one pill and I spent 2 days literally crazy, no sleep, no eat, zombie ;)) anxious, etc.....
    I didnt even mention to the doctor because I am determined no to take it again... I say that now ;)) and after reading all the side effects well.... I dont know... but now that I have read all your comments.. again I dont know.. I have been saying that a lot lately haha thats right there are tons of things that "Idont know"... kind of lost :(
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Effexor
    I began Effexor prior to breast cancer and it has been a positive change for me. I know it is supposed to help with hot flashes. Becuase I work in mental health I know that when one med does not work another one often does. There is a drug out there that is called desvenaflexine (the genereic name) that is similar to Effexor. If you are driven bonkers by the hot flashes perhaps you can aske the doctor if this one will work on hot flashes. Good luck.
  • DiscoDiva
    DiscoDiva Member Posts: 7
    Still wondering if I should take it or not?
    It was recommended that I could take Effexor for depression now that I am on Tamoxifen. I have really struggled about whether to take it or not. I would prefer to take less rx, than more.

I took 1 dose of Effexor and I felt weird.

I feel awful right now, but I don't know which would be worse...Tamoxifen effects or Effexor?