not the news i wanted to hear

VictoriaSF
VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
on may 6th i had my last carbo/taxol and on 11th my ct scan.
yesterday doctor's office called with ct report.
good news - no new spots
bad news - whatever was left after debulking surgery got smaller but still there - i have spots on liver and spleen.
my gun/onc appointment next friday so i will find out action plan.
my ca125 so low - it is 6,and i am feeling well - so i was hoping for remission. Have to say it was not terribly high - around 400.
anxious to know what is in store for me next.
any advise?

thank you
Victoria

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    good luck
    hope your dr. visit goes well and you won't need any more surgery or chemo. God bless..val
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    DearVictoria
    I am sorry you are disappointed...but smaller spots sounds like a gift from my point of view.....we never had that luxury.....after 2 years of this process, I have learned a few things so here is my advice for what it's worth..... Go enjoy some time off away from this madness.....your CA-125 is normal and you have no symptoms....if those spots decide to grow again, you will need strength to fight them, so time off is also a good idea to get ready for that possibility........finally, ALL the research I have seen indicates that until there are signs and symptoms of re-currance, there is no advantage to further treatment so why even go there? Perhaps you don't have that remission you were hoping for, but it does sound like you have had a successful first run at the monster......I never thought I would say this, but go celebrate!!!!!! keep us posted as to what the doctors and others say....
  • Christine B.
    Christine B. Member Posts: 137
    Similar Story
    Hello Victoria,
    My story is similar to yours. I had surgery Sept. 10, eight months ago. Due to complications with a blockage of the bowel, I did not have the complete hysterectomy etc.
    This was followed by six chemo treatments of carbo/taxol. I finished with a CA 125 of 22.7. The CT scan showed near remission, but a few small tumors yet in the abdomen. Both my chemo doctor and gyn/onc recommended that I take a three month break from treatment to get stronger. After a month, I was anxious, so I asked to have the test done and it was 37. My gyn/onc recommended that I finish the three months as he said I was only two above the 35 normal number. I did have my blood work done this last Tuesday, I have my three month appointment on May 31st with the chemo doctor and June 1st with the gyn/onc. I do feel well and much stronger now except with the dull discomfort I think from the colostomy bag I have. I have been walking and climbing the bleachers at the nearby high school and have been following a high fiber/low fat diet learned mostly from a cooking class I took and from reading I've done. I am hoping that the CA 125 stays down and that I will be closer to having a reversal of the colostomy. I will be interested in what your doctor recommends for you. I will let you know the outcome of my upcoming appointments. Prayers are appreciated and I will keep you in mine as well.
    Chris
  • VictoriaSF
    VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165

Similar Story
    Hello Victoria,
    My story is similar to yours. I had surgery Sept. 10, eight months ago. Due to complications with a blockage of the bowel, I did not have the complete hysterectomy etc.
    This was followed by six chemo treatments of carbo/taxol. I finished with a CA 125 of 22.7. The CT scan showed near remission, but a few small tumors yet in the abdomen. Both my chemo doctor and gyn/onc recommended that I take a three month break from treatment to get stronger. After a month, I was anxious, so I asked to have the test done and it was 37. My gyn/onc recommended that I finish the three months as he said I was only two above the 35 normal number. I did have my blood work done this last Tuesday, I have my three month appointment on May 31st with the chemo doctor and June 1st with the gyn/onc. I do feel well and much stronger now except with the dull discomfort I think from the colostomy bag I have. I have been walking and climbing the bleachers at the nearby high school and have been following a high fiber/low fat diet learned mostly from a cooking class I took and from reading I've done. I am hoping that the CA 125 stays down and that I will be closer to having a reversal of the colostomy. I will be interested in what your doctor recommends for you. I will let you know the outcome of my upcoming appointments. Prayers are appreciated and I will keep you in mine as well.
    Chris

thank you for support - will keep you posted
    thank you Ladies!
    i will keep you posted after my appt with doctor.
    -to Chris - i will pray for you , hope you will have reversal of colostomy soon.
    all the best
    hugs
    Victoria
  • jonnie71
    jonnie71 Member Posts: 26

thank you Ladies!
    -to Chris - i will pray for you , hope you will have reversal of colostomy soon.
    all the best
    hugs
    Victoria

will be praying for you.
    will be praying for you. jonnie
  • jonnie71
    jonnie71 Member Posts: 26

thank you Ladies!
    all the best
    hugs
    Victoria

will be praying for you.
    will be praying for you. jonnie
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Good Luck !
    How are you feeling ? The ca125 is great and your feeling good is awesome. I wonder if they want you to do more chemo? Are you up for it if they do ? Rest and take good care of yourself in the meantime. Could the spots be scar tissue? I can't keep straight which scan is better at picking up cancer but I think it is a pet scan. Maybe ask the Dr if you can have one of those.
    Waiting for the results is the worst if they understood how much anniety (can't spell)is involved they would give you the results the same day.
    Colleen
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Thinking of you. I know you
    Thinking of you. I know you started chemo right after me. You tolerated it so well. Hoping the next steps will knock it out of the ball park.