Mastectomy with out reconstruction

mamolady
mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
I am 47 years old and I had a bilateral mastectomy in March. I am not wanting to have more surgery mostly because of the complications and I really want to be done with all of this. I am giving myself a year to decide on reconstruction. The radiologist I work with said that with the my tumor being so close to the chest wall, tram flap isn't a good idea as it could hide a met on the chest wall. So implants behind the muscle may be an option.

Any ideas? Clothes are hard to find that look ok with out boobs. I really wasn't that big before but I didn't feel as awkward looking. I haven't checked out prosthedics yet because I can't really wear them during radiation anyway. I am not really enthusiastic about having to deal with that either.
I would love to hear any thoughts, suggestions even what not to do.

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I'm just a little ahead of
    I'm just a little ahead of you...bilateral in Jan and completed rads in March. My docs said no reconstruction for at least a year, so right now I'm not even thinking about what might be possible then. In a year I'll start talking to surgeons and see what they think.

During rads I wore cotton mens t-shirts with sweaters or jackets, no bra. I told myself the jacket 'hid' the flat 12 year old boy chest, but I'm pretty sure it didn't really. The only thing I can think of that might help disguise the flat chest is ruffles...wish I had a better answer for you there.

I got my prosthesis in April. My recommendation would be to find a really good fitter, one who is willing to give you time to try several prosthesis. Initially I tried the pair that was most like my pre cancer self, the fitter let me wear them for a little over a week. Then I went back to her store, and tried several other sizes and styles. I finally kept a set that surprised the fitter, but they are more comfortable for me than the original set.

The thing that surprised me is that a good bra that fits right is just as important with prosthesis as it is with boobs, I can easily see the difference. I got one soft bra, 3 underwires, and a swimsuit. (I was told the foobs can go in the water, but I haven't tried them yet.)

If you can, find a fitter that will work directly with your insurance. I only had to sign that I received my items and pay for those not covered. Additional services are helpful too...will they sew pockets into bras for you? Will they mail items to you? My fitter also measures and fits compression sleeves for lymphedema, and works with my PT on that. And her shop carries a few other fun items...a little jewelery, hats and scarfs, a few "pink" things, etc.

I hope this helps.

Linda
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

I'm just a little ahead of
    I'm just a little ahead of you...bilateral in Jan and completed rads in March. My docs said no reconstruction for at least a year, so right now I'm not even thinking about what might be possible then. In a year I'll start talking to surgeons and see what they think.

During rads I wore cotton mens t-shirts with sweaters or jackets, no bra. I told myself the jacket 'hid' the flat 12 year old boy chest, but I'm pretty sure it didn't really. The only thing I can think of that might help disguise the flat chest is ruffles...wish I had a better answer for you there.

I got my prosthesis in April. My recommendation would be to find a really good fitter, one who is willing to give you time to try several prosthesis. Initially I tried the pair that was most like my pre cancer self, the fitter let me wear them for a little over a week. Then I went back to her store, and tried several other sizes and styles. I finally kept a set that surprised the fitter, but they are more comfortable for me than the original set.

The thing that surprised me is that a good bra that fits right is just as important with prosthesis as it is with boobs, I can easily see the difference. I got one soft bra, 3 underwires, and a swimsuit. (I was told the foobs can go in the water, but I haven't tried them yet.)

If you can, find a fitter that will work directly with your insurance. I only had to sign that I received my items and pay for those not covered. Additional services are helpful too...will they sew pockets into bras for you? Will they mail items to you? My fitter also measures and fits compression sleeves for lymphedema, and works with my PT on that. And her shop carries a few other fun items...a little jewelery, hats and scarfs, a few "pink" things, etc.

I hope this helps.

Linda

Hugs to you
    I am one that had immediate reconstructive surgery following my mastectomy. The procedure you speak of is the one I currently have. I have my tissue expanders in place behind my chest wall. They are now fully inflated and I am currently doing radiation. The weird feeling of it all is having the ability to go braless if I want but they do feel like I am carrying around water balloons. Those new girls are wedged in place and not moving. It will be at least 4-6 months after my radiation before I can do my implant exchange. In the meantime these expanders are giving me ample cleavage for the summer months.

The hard part about being flat chested this time of year, is all the low cut scoop necklines and not having the ability to dress in layers. I'm here for you should you decide to go with the expander route later.

Good Luck,
    Lorrie
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Thank you,
    Thank you all for the info.

Cindy
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    opted not to have reconstruction
    Not married, and my surgery was 5 hours, because they kept having to go back to the margins.
    My oncologist suggested NO because of the possibility of future surgeries.

My prosthetics are heavy and I wear them, but not happily.
    At home, I wear a camisole with lightweight forms. My surgeon on the other hand, wants me to have reconstruction for my self-esteem. But, I am getting used to it, and try to just appreciate life.
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    I have not had
    I have not had reconstruction and I'm not going to. If I were younger, I might consider it. I would actually prefer to have the other breast off so I would be "even". But this is a very personal decision. It seems like a good idea to wait awhile and see how you feel. In the beginning everything is so shocking it's hard to make decisions.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I had bilateral mastectomy
    June 2010 with no reconstruction. I'm 62 now. I went to talk with PS before my surgery. He said I could have reconstruction several years later if that was what I decided. However, because I was overweight I was not a candidate for the flaps. I was large busted and opted for prosthetics. I wear them if going out but for the most part I wear my leisure bra w/foam weighted "boobs" or nothing. I finished rads in Feb. I see my breast surgeon in June and will have outpatient surgery to get rid of "angel wings" on sides of my body. At least then my arms will lay closer to my body and it won't show under my shirts. My bras don't hide it.
    Char
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Ideas
    My prosthesis have had it for 3 years now i take off when i go bed. going this week to have tram flap. whatever works for you good luck
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Love it
    I love the way my prost. bra feels...it is more comfortable than my other bras were before my mastectomies. I have large rib bones below my breast and the bra would sit on the bone or ride up...now it doesn't do that and I wear it from morning till night. Just very comfortable and looks real and fuller than I was.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Hey Mamolady
    I had my mastectomy a year ago this coming Tuesday and I'm "not" thinking about another surgery right now or even at all i don't want to go through any more surgeries,with the radiation i wore a jacket when it was cold but during my rads it got warm so i already had a "foam" prosthesis i would but on the t-shirts everyone is talking about my kids call them wife beaters it's just a name the teenagers call them the sleeveless ones(tank)well i would put my cream on first at the rads center and then put the t-shirt on and then my bra over that so all the cream wouldn't get on the bra,the light weight foam prosthesis was fine like that and the radiation really cooked me good so i think you'll be fine.you make the decision about whats best for you and getting more surgery, no breast and living sounds good to me. ~HUGS~ MollyZ