Mom admitted to hospital this am...

Lisa13Q
Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
I am relieved....finally.....hopefully someone will mention hospice....she needs relief...

Comments

• wendybill
    wendybill Member Posts: 84
    to Lisa
    I'm not sure if your hospital has this service, but many hospitals have a service called palliative care. The oncologists don't refer to it as much as they should. You will need to ask your mom's onc to refer. I used to work in palliative care and we specialized in managing pain and providing support to pts and families that are dealing with a complicated illness. We also helped the pt and family verbalize goals for tx. We communicated daily with families while the pt was in the hospital. The focus of palliative care is different than hospice although many times they are run from the same organization. Oncologists often think of them as hospice and do not refer.

Thinking of you,
    Wendy
  • BrittanyC
    BrittanyC Member Posts: 100
    wendybill said:

to Lisa
    I'm not sure if your hospital has this service, but many hospitals have a service called palliative care. The oncologists don't refer to it as much as they should. You will need to ask your mom's onc to refer. I used to work in palliative care and we specialized in managing pain and providing support to pts and families that are dealing with a complicated illness. We also helped the pt and family verbalize goals for tx. We communicated daily with families while the pt was in the hospital. The focus of palliative care is different than hospice although many times they are run from the same organization. Oncologists often think of them as hospice and do not refer.

Thinking of you,
    Wendy

I would ask about options to
    I would ask about options to whoever is watching over your mom at the hospital. Perhaps that person can pass that onto someone who has that power.

When I had to make the decision to put my mother into hospice, the doctor and the nurse and I went into the conference room to discuss options.

*Sending hugs*
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    My thoughts are with you.

My thoughts are with you.
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Oh Lisa, I pray that they can get her the help she needs. We are all here for you and your mom.

Linda