PLEASE HELP ISSUES AFTER BREAST CA SURGERY

LAU1965
LAU1965 Member Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
HAD BILATERAL MASTECTOMY 03-29-2011 LASTED EIGHT HOURS GIVEN ANTIBIOTIC EVERY 3/HOURS WHILE IN HOSPITAL WENT HOME NEXT DAY WITH MORE ANTIBIOTIC TO TAKE FOR 14 MORE DAYS. SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN BLOTED UNABLE TO EAT ANYTHING EVEN WATER MAKES FEEL FULL AND I GET BLOATED. ANYONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP.

A BIG HELLO TO ALL MY CANCER SISTERS

LAU1965

Comments

• bethsbaby
    bethsbaby Member Posts: 61
    stomach problems after surgery
    Hi LAU, I had a BMX in March 2011. The first two weeks after surgery were very difficult for me as well. It was recommended that I take Colace or a stool softener before and after surgery to prevent constipation. I did, but still had a really hard time with feeling bloated and ended up constipated even after trying laxatives. The anesthesia allows your bowel to go to sleep and the pain medicine shuts it down again. All of this inactivity really made it very difficult to have normal intestinal functioning. Finally after working on the constipation and stopping the pain meds, I as able to start feeling better. I dont know if this helps, but I hope you start feeling better. But as soon as I quit taking the Loritab, was the beginning of my getting better. Good Luck
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry to hear...
    Denise

so sorry to hear...

Denise
  • LAU1965
    bethsbaby said:

Hi LAU, I had a BMX in March 2011. The first two weeks after surgery were very difficult for me as well. It was recommended that I take Colace or a stool softener before and after surgery to prevent constipation. I did, but still had a really hard time with feeling bloated and ended up constipated even after trying laxatives. The anesthesia allows your bowel to go to sleep and the pain medicine shuts it down again. All of this inactivity really made it very difficult to have normal intestinal functioning. Finally after working on the constipation and stopping the pain meds, I as able to start feeling better. I dont know if this helps, but I hope you start feeling better. But as soon as I quit taking the Loritab, was the beginning of my getting better. Good Luck

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR BMX, THANKS TAKING NO PAIN MEDS AND NOT CONSTIPATED BUT STILL BLOATED IS HORRIBLE BUT I AM TAKING PROBIOTICS SO FAR I STILL FEEL BLOATED AND UNABLE TO EAT. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE BETTER, WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU STAY POSITIVE. HUGS, GOOD LUCK
  • upnorthlive57
    upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
    Lau1965
    Had bloating like you, went to doctor and was full of water. I was given Lasix shot, what a relief, and good thing Iwent the water was from my toes to just below my knees.. hope you get to feeling better Linda W
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Lau1965
    Had bloating like you, went to doctor and was full of water. I was given Lasix shot, what a relief, and good thing Iwent the water was from my toes to just below my knees.. hope you get to feeling better Linda W

You...
    Might want to alert your physician to this....

Hope you feel better!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MAJW said:

You...
    Might want to alert your physician to this....

Hope you feel better!

MAJW .. hit the nail right on the head ....
    Call your doctor, asap! Please let us know what happens, okay.

Vicki Sam
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

so sorry to hear...
    Denise

so sorry to hear...

Denise

I had a lumpectomy and never
    I had a lumpectomy and never experienced this. Please call your oncologist and surgeon to see how they can help you. Update us as to what you find out.

Hugs, Diane
  • LAU1965
    VickiSam said:

MAJW .. hit the nail right on the head ....
    Call your doctor, asap! Please let us know what happens, okay.

Vicki Sam

FEELING BETTER
    THANKS LADIES :) WENT TO THE DOCTORS HE GAVE ME ACIPHEX HE THINKS IT MIGHT BE ACID REFLUX WILL SEE HIM BACK IN THREE WEEKS IF NO CHANGES HE WILL DO AN ENDOSCOPY BLOATING KINDA WENT AWAY I HOPE THE MEDS HELP. MY BREAST SURGEON SAYS I AM NOT RETAINING WATER. SOME DAYS ARE GOOD AND OTHERS ARE BAD. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVISE.

HUGS TO ALL

LAU