Feeling fluish related to breast cancer?

ssmith37
ssmith37 Member Posts: 22
Hello new friends. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma of the left breast on 4/25/11. I'm probably just being paranoid, but for the past two days, I have been feeling achy, slightly dizzy and extremely tired. I'm also experiencing weakness in my legs and arms. I have no other flu-like symptoms such as a stuffy nose or fever. Am I being paranoid, or could something else be going on?

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure I'll be seeking more in the coming months.

Stephanie

Comments

• jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    I don't think you're being paranoid. Stress can manifest itself in many ways. It may be that while you have a good outside grip on whats going on; your body, meanwhile is totally stressed out about this breast cancer news.

Welcome aboard Stephanie! You can come here anytime, for any reason and we will be here for you. =)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Stephanie
    At this stage, you're probably talking to doctors more than you ever wanted to anyway, so it can't hurt to run it by your doctor just to be sure.

But please don't discount how stressful a cancer diagnosis is for any of us, and how much stress can affect our health -- no matter how well you may be handling it, sometimes your body just says, ENOUGH ALREADY!

I think it's tremendously important to take extra special care of yourself right now, to do your best to get enough sleep (ask for medication for that, if you have to), exercise, healthy food, and whatever makes you smile and laugh as much as you can.

Please come back here often -- all of us here know how tough it is to first navigate your way through all the new terminology and decisions.

Traci
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    I'm so sorry you are here but you have chosen the best place
    I also had invasive ductal carcinoma - I didn't feel sick or anything - infact just the opposite - I felt great until the chemo. Maybe what your experiencing is actually the flu - my family was sick with just what you describe last week - or it could be that you are feeling the stress of it all - Even if it is nerves, you are NOT being paranoid.
    I would mention it to your doctor but until then maybe try to do something that relaxes you. :)

I'm sorry you feel so awful - maybe someone will post something to help you.

Kelly
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Welcome to this amazing
    Welcome to this amazing community.

I agree with our pink sister above. But also let your dr. know of any feelings or symptoms of course. I hope you feel better soon.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    jendrey said:

I don't think you're being paranoid. Stress can manifest itself in many ways. It may be that while you have a good outside grip on whats going on; your body, meanwhile is totally stressed out about this breast cancer news.

Welcome aboard Stephanie! You can come here anytime, for any reason and we will be here for you. =)

HI Stephanie
    I too was diagnosed with IDC in my left breast (stage 3). You my dear have been through a lot these past couple of weeks. I agree stress manifests itself differently when your brain is occupied elsewhere. Keep an eye on the symptoms and if they get worse make sure your doctors are informed, but for right now I think you will be okay to ride it out to see if things improve over he next week.

Be sure and keep in touch, we'd love to follow along with encouraging words during your treatment course. ♥

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415

Welcome to this amazing

I agree with our pink sister above. But also let your dr. know of any feelings or symptoms of course. I hope you feel better soon.

Welcome!
    I too am sorry that you are here...but we're a pretty good group and there will be plenty of hugs and good advice.
    I don't think you are being paranoid....run it by your doctor anyway. I found it good to get the email address of the nurse practioner. Then I could send her a message or a question and not feel that I was bothering her too much. Good luck. We'll talk soon I hope.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Welcome to this amazing

If...
    You had a biopsy,I assume...you probably need to report these symptoms to your physician....especially if fever is present...could be infection...
    Better safe than sorry..

Keep us posted....we care
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Stephanie,
    Welcome. Sorry you are here, but glad that you found us. This is a great place to just read, ask questions, vent, scream, cry, all of the above. Stress does lots of crazy things to us. You may want to check with your doctor, if you feel like that would make you feel better.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    fluish
    yes it could be an infection. Probably not if you have no fever but I would get it checked anyway. I think you could go to your primary care physician if you thought you could get in sooner. Even if you just saw a nurse with it I think you would feel more assured. As others have stated your body could easily be reacting to the news as well.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

fluish
    yes it could be an infection. Probably not if you have no fever but I would get it checked anyway. I think you could go to your primary care physician if you thought you could get in sooner. Even if you just saw a nurse with it I think you would feel more assured. As others have stated your body could easily be reacting to the news as well.

same diagnosis
    Welcome! SOrry you have to be here but you'll find many friends here and much support. I wish I had found this site as early in my journey as you have. I was diagnosed with IDC July 2010 and have been through the whole process - chemo, mastectomy, rads. But I'm here with a clear PET scan and you can do it too. (I was between stage 2 and 3 so it depended on who you talked to. One Dr. said 2b another said 3a.) Your symptoms could be flu, stress, or something else. I'd give your Dr. a quick call just to be on the safe side.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Stephanie welcome to this
    Stephanie welcome to this wonderful group of pinks. It is unfortunate you have to be here, but it is one of the best places to be with your DX. You will find excellent info and lots of support. I cannot add anything to what has been said, so I'll repeat, let your doctor know what is going on. Stress plays such havoc with our bodies and our minds and many strange symptoms can occur, but when one is dealing with your DX it really is important to let your doctor know. We are here 24/7. Some have completed treatment, some are just starting, and some are in the middle of treatment, doesnt matter we understand because we are either walking the walk or have walked the walk.

When you get a moment please let us know how you are doing. Welcome
  • ssmith37
    ssmith37 Member Posts: 22
    natly15 said:

Stephanie welcome to this
    Stephanie welcome to this wonderful group of pinks. It is unfortunate you have to be here, but it is one of the best places to be with your DX. You will find excellent info and lots of support. I cannot add anything to what has been said, so I'll repeat, let your doctor know what is going on. Stress plays such havoc with our bodies and our minds and many strange symptoms can occur, but when one is dealing with your DX it really is important to let your doctor know. We are here 24/7. Some have completed treatment, some are just starting, and some are in the middle of treatment, doesnt matter we understand because we are either walking the walk or have walked the walk.

When you get a moment please let us know how you are doing. Welcome

Thank you all for your wonderful, very caring responses! I'm upset to be here, but thankful as well for the support I know I've found here. I'm feeling better today - maybe it was just stress.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I look forward to chatting with each of you and helping others who are going through what we are going through or have gone through.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Welcome!
    I too am sorry that you are here...but we're a pretty good group and there will be plenty of hugs and good advice.
    I don't think you are being paranoid....run it by your doctor anyway. I found it good to get the email address of the nurse practioner. Then I could send her a message or a question and not feel that I was bothering her too much. Good luck. We'll talk soon I hope.

Hi and welcome. I think you
    Hi and welcome. I think you should contact your oncologist and let him know how you are feeling. They really need to always know any out of the ordinary symptoms we might have.

Hugs, Jan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Welcome!

Hi and welcome. I think you
    Hi and welcome. I think you should contact your oncologist and let him know how you are feeling. They really need to always know any out of the ordinary symptoms we might have.

Hugs, Jan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ssmith37 said:

Thank you all for your wonderful, very caring responses! I'm upset to be here, but thankful as well for the support I know I've found here. I'm feeling better today - maybe it was just stress.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I look forward to chatting with each of you and helping others who are going through what we are going through or have gone through.

Welcome, Miss Stephanie!
    Breast Cancer is very unfair. We all have a journey to complete, our paths are similar, some the same -- but our ultimate goal is to complete our 'journey'.

Inspiration can be found here on our site in many forms. I find inspiration is a 2 way street .. we give it, and we receive it from each other.

I am so HONORED to be part of this site .. There are many loving, caring and supportive WARRIORS here for you, 24/7.

I am sad that you have breast cancer, but happy that you found us!

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam