Scalp Build UP

ShondaS
ShondaS Member Posts: 6
I just finished chemo and my scalp is yuck. When I wash it with shampoo the building up does not wash away. When I rub hard it hurts and also rubs off the little fuzz I have going on.

Anybody have any solutions or suggestions?

Comments

• BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Similar experience
    I am 5 weeks post-chemo and I can tell you it gets better. It's going to take a while though. My scalp is so incredibly itchy lately.

Bonnie
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    BMS said:

Similar experience
    I am 5 weeks post-chemo and I can tell you it gets better. It's going to take a while though. My scalp is so incredibly itchy lately.

Bonnie

No help from me...
    When I was going through chemo I used baby shampoo on my scalp every time I showered. I never (thankfully) had this problem. To me it sounds like dermatitis, maybe find a shampoo that deals with that problem.

Good Luck, I wish I had more to contribute.
    Lorrie
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Chemo and your scalp
    Hi Shonda,

When I was going through my bald stage I just used a little soap on my scalp and was good to go. I know that I was fortunate in not having sore, itchy scalp like so many of the Pink Sisters. Once I had enough hair to matter I started using shampoo. Perhaps you should consider going to see a dermatologist. He may be able to recommend an over the counter product or prescribe something that will help your scalp issues. Seems like it would be worth a try. Good luck. IRENE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Chemo and your scalp
    Hi Shonda,

When I was going through my bald stage I just used a little soap on my scalp and was good to go. I know that I was fortunate in not having sore, itchy scalp like so many of the Pink Sisters. Once I had enough hair to matter I started using shampoo. Perhaps you should consider going to see a dermatologist. He may be able to recommend an over the counter product or prescribe something that will help your scalp issues. Seems like it would be worth a try. Good luck. IRENE

What helped me .. during my bald days ...
    was shampooing with Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo - as recommended by my Oncologist, and a few sisters on this site.

Good luck with your scalp ... always use sun screen when going outside! Seriously, I ended up with a burnt scalp just by spending a few minutes outside -- picking up doggie dumpings. LOL

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • ShondaS
    ShondaS Member Posts: 6
    VickiSam said:

What helped me .. during my bald days ...
    was shampooing with Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo - as recommended by my Oncologist, and a few sisters on this site.

Good luck with your scalp ... always use sun screen when going outside! Seriously, I ended up with a burnt scalp just by spending a few minutes outside -- picking up doggie dumpings. LOL

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

Thx!
    Thanks Everybody! I never even thought about the sun screen. Thanks!!!!!
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    ShondaS said:

Thx!
    Thanks Everybody! I never even thought about the sun screen. Thanks!!!!!

I also used the Neutrogena
    I also used the Neutrogena T-GEL shampoo and never had a problem. I was concerned I'd get acne on my scalp as I an 58 yrs old and still get breakouts. It was soothing as I believe it has a tiny bit of menthol in it. Good Luck.
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    I used Nioxin......
    and it worked great for me. It took all of the buildup away and helped my hair to grow back in too. You can get it at SuperCuts or one of those chain hair salons they have all over the place.

Isn't it exciting that your hair is growing back in?

Love and Light,
    Vicki