3 days since my first chemo and the aches and pains have started - any advice?

margz35
margz35 Member Posts: 53
Hi everyone: Well I thought I was doing well and then boom! aches and pains today. Any thoughts? I have been for a walk - barely and a warm bath. Just ride it out?

Comments

• ender
    ender Member Posts: 167
    I start your same cocktail
    I start your same cocktail on Wednesday, so I have no advice to give yet. But Im happy you went for a walk, power to you! I have a strong determination to be active during the treatment and Im glad to hear others have the same spirit!

Eva
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    I started mine last Friday
    I started mine last Friday and my aches and pains started just today. Its probably the Neulasta for both of of us. I am taking Tylenol and Motrin, but having to take the T every 3 hours and the M every 4 to keep it under control. Walking is good I am sure. I went to the gym today, but was only able to do my cardio for 10 minutes. I am sure whatever exercise we do is helpful. My MO and my RO both told me that. Hope you get some relief!

Nancy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

I started mine last Friday and my aches and pains started just today. Its probably the Neulasta for both of of us. I am taking Tylenol and Motrin, but having to take the T every 3 hours and the M every 4 to keep it under control. Walking is good I am sure. I went to the gym today, but was only able to do my cardio for 10 minutes. I am sure whatever exercise we do is helpful. My MO and my RO both told me that. Hope you get some relief!

Nancy

Take..
    What you need to be comfortable is the advice my oncologist gave me...if over the counter pain meds work, fine, he said and he gave me an Rx for strong pain meds in case I needed it... I did, after each infusion for a day or two...Made me feel much better..

Hoping you all feel better,
    Hugs, Nancy
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    MAJW said:

Take..
    What you need to be comfortable is the advice my oncologist gave me...if over the counter pain meds work, fine, he said and he gave me an Rx for strong pain meds in case I needed it... I did, after each infusion for a day or two...Made me feel much better..

Hoping you all feel better,
    Hugs, Nancy

claritin for Neulasta pain
    My doctor recommended Claritin (yes, the over the counter medicine for allergies) to avoid Neulasta pain. I;ve taken it regularly starting the day of the Neulasta shot and continuing one a day for the next 10-14 days. No aches and pains so far!

Other advice: rest as needed! My first FEC treatment I tried to do normal activities afterwards and ended up miserable. Te second one, I cancelled everything (I get treatment on fridays) and did not move for 3 days. Much better idea!

also, drink lots of water and other liquids, even if you don;t feel like eating..I;ve been told it flushes the toxins out of your system.

Laura
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167

Nancy

You WENT to the gym! Wow!
    You WENT to the gym! Wow! Is it a gym in your building? Im impressed. I plan to just try to work out at home. Stay strong.

Eva
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    Sorry about your pain. When
    Sorry about your pain. When I first began Taxol treatments, I suffered thru the 1st treatment with pain. For the following treatments, I took an Exedrin back & body 1/2 hr before I gave myself the neulasta shot... And continued every 4 hrs. for several days. This really helped - I still had problems walking & doing stairs. They usually will give you a prescription for pain if you ask. Don't suffer with it - I tried that and it was no fun at all.
    I am hoping you feel better very soon.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Claratin (not clartin D) is
    Claratin (not clartin D) is recommended by the manufacturer. But check with your doc/pharmacist before taking any.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Claratin (not clartin D) is
    Claratin (not clartin D) is recommended by the manufacturer. But check with your doc/pharmacist before taking any.

sorry you are having
    sorry you are having issues..I HOPE it gets a better...

Denise
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

sorry you are having
    sorry you are having issues..I HOPE it gets a better...

Denise

Claritin did it for me, I
    Claritin did it for me, I didnt have any issues with the neulasta shot. Take in fluids, and rest your body as much as your body requires. I had debilitating pain with taxol and the doc gave me an rx for it which I never filled because we had to switch me to taxotere. Hang in there and remember "this too shall pass". Take care of yourself.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    margz
    the Neulasta shot kicks butt! I took my arthritis meds and Tylenol and slept most of the weekend. Hang in there. It does get better.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    dbhadra said:

claritin for Neulasta pain
    My doctor recommended Claritin (yes, the over the counter medicine for allergies) to avoid Neulasta pain. I;ve taken it regularly starting the day of the Neulasta shot and continuing one a day for the next 10-14 days. No aches and pains so far!

Other advice: rest as needed! My first FEC treatment I tried to do normal activities afterwards and ended up miserable. Te second one, I cancelled everything (I get treatment on fridays) and did not move for 3 days. Much better idea!

also, drink lots of water and other liquids, even if you don;t feel like eating..I;ve been told it flushes the toxins out of your system.

Laura

I took Claritin too....
    and never had one ache or pain. Just plain Claritin, not Claritin D. I heard about it on this board and took it the day before chemo, then up to 8 days after and it worked great!!!

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    cahjah75 said:

margz
    the Neulasta shot kicks butt! I took my arthritis meds and Tylenol and slept most of the weekend. Hang in there. It does get better.
    {{hugs}} Char

not then but now
    I didn't have any pain issues during chemo and Nulasta but am having issues now with lower leg pain. Maybe the Femanra? I'e been going to Curves in the hopes that will help but it doesn't seem to make a difference so just taking Tylenol. (Sticking to Curves though.) I'm going to check with the Dr. to see what else he suggests or if it will just eventually clear up. Sorry I can't offer more help!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    skipper54 said:

not then but now
    I didn't have any pain issues during chemo and Nulasta but am having issues now with lower leg pain. Maybe the Femanra? I'e been going to Curves in the hopes that will help but it doesn't seem to make a difference so just taking Tylenol. (Sticking to Curves though.) I'm going to check with the Dr. to see what else he suggests or if it will just eventually clear up. Sorry I can't offer more help!

Oh how I remember the pain
    Loratab, Tylenol PM, heating pad. I wish you well. I know it stinks, but hang in there. Tell yourself, "and this to shall pass."