Let's take action!

luz del lago
luz del lago Member Posts: 449
Here it is! TAKE ACTION NOW! Lung Cancer Research Bill Introduced in the Senate & House!!!!! The Lung Cancer Mortality Reduction Act, represents continued bi-partisan and bi-cameral support for a multi-pronged federal plan that would address all aspects of lung cancer, including now a national lung cancer screening demonstration. We need to flood Congress with our messages! http://capwiz.com/lungcanceralliance/home/

Dear friends,

I am sure that you all are aware of this act and the important role it can play in early detection, more research and better treatments. If you have not made your voice heard yet, now is the time. A few minutes of your time can save a life!

Best wishes,

Lucy

Comments

• medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    ;)
    I'm all for it!
  • luz del lago
    medi_2 said:

;)
    I'm all for it!

Great!
    I know this nation is having financial woes, but this is so IMPORTANT! Thank you for taking time to read and take action!

Best wishes,

Lucy
  • lynntaylor
    lynntaylor Member Posts: 39

Great!
    I know this nation is having financial woes, but this is so IMPORTANT! Thank you for taking time to read and take action!

Best wishes,

Lucy

I will definitely take time
    I will definitely take time to do this.
  • luz del lago

I will definitely take time
    I will definitely take time to do this.

Awesome!
    Thank you!

Best wishes,

Lucy
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member

Awesome!
    Thank you!

Best wishes,

Lucy

Sending mine off today!
    Thanks for the link.
  • luz del lago
    mamacita5 said:

Sending mine off today!
    Thanks for the link.

Fantastic!
    I knew I could count on everyone here! Together, we can have a very LOUD voice!

Thanks mamacita5,

Lucy
  • ToBeGolden
    ToBeGolden Member Posts: 695
    Will email my representatives
    I will email my congressional representatives. Just visiting the lung cancer board; I have been treated for head and neck cancer six months ago. But lung cancer is more than a curiosity for me: (1) My father had lung cancer (but died of other conditions). (2) Growing up in the 40's and 50's, I was exposed to enormous amounts of second hand smoke. Did anyone fly commercially in the 50's? I think I was the only person on a plane that was not first-hand smoking. Of course, I did smoke second-hand, since I could not hold my breath for the duration of the trip. (3) My oncology team always scans my chest since there is a link between head/neck and lung cancer.

Thanks for all the information posted here.
  • luz del lago

I will email my congressional representatives. Just visiting the lung cancer board; I have been treated for head and neck cancer six months ago. But lung cancer is more than a curiosity for me: (1) My father had lung cancer (but died of other conditions). (2) Growing up in the 40's and 50's, I was exposed to enormous amounts of second hand smoke. Did anyone fly commercially in the 50's? I think I was the only person on a plane that was not first-hand smoking. Of course, I did smoke second-hand, since I could not hold my breath for the duration of the trip. (3) My oncology team always scans my chest since there is a link between head/neck and lung cancer.

And, thank you...
    I hope that you are doing well, and I am so sorry to read that you know "first-hand" of this beast called cancer!
    Thank you for reading the post and choosing to take action.
    What a beautiful Golden! I have had Goldens all of my adult life. They are the best!

Best wishes,

Lucy
  • Ashleigh01
    Ashleigh01 Member Posts: 3

I am new to CSN, a volunteer advocate (see website www.cancervoicessa.org.au) and 2X cancer survivor who lives in South Australia.
    My story is that I had Stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma Head and Neck Cancer in 2005.
    I was in remission and had that cancer beat when 5.5 years later another primary SCC (Stage 3A) was found in my right lung.
    A routine HNC follow up CT scan would not have found the tumor however I demanded PETs that luckily did.
    I have just completed treatment - removal of 2/3 of right lung, chemo (cisplat/etoposide then cisplat/vin) and RT.
    I was a non smoker and health fanatic since 1990 (due to underactive thyroid).
    My first wife in the 80's and her family smoked, my Dad smoked a pipe - those road trips in the car with windows up were notorious!
    Good that you and the onco team are being vigilant however my case is rare and I did get rid of the Stage 4 Head and Neck cancer.
    I am keen to lobby for removing the current stigma of lung cancer as a smokers disease and seeking more funding for lung cancer research and support - current anti-smoking media campaigns here in Australia are not helping achieve this!
  • luz del lago

I am new to CSN, a volunteer advocate (see website www.cancervoicessa.org.au) and 2X cancer survivor who lives in South Australia.
    My story is that I had Stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma Head and Neck Cancer in 2005.
    I was in remission and had that cancer beat when 5.5 years later another primary SCC (Stage 3A) was found in my right lung.
    A routine HNC follow up CT scan would not have found the tumor however I demanded PETs that luckily did.
    I have just completed treatment - removal of 2/3 of right lung, chemo (cisplat/etoposide then cisplat/vin) and RT.
    I was a non smoker and health fanatic since 1990 (due to underactive thyroid).
    My first wife in the 80's and her family smoked, my Dad smoked a pipe - those road trips in the car with windows up were notorious!
    Good that you and the onco team are being vigilant however my case is rare and I did get rid of the Stage 4 Head and Neck cancer.
    I am keen to lobby for removing the current stigma of lung cancer as a smokers disease and seeking more funding for lung cancer research and support - current anti-smoking media campaigns here in Australia are not helping achieve this!

Awesome pic!
    Ashleigh,

Thank you for sharing your story. Advocacy begins by telling the world your story, and being open, so that others may learn and be informed!

Best wishes for your continued well being.

Lucy
  • luz del lago
    Be an advocate!
    My dearest lung cancer survivors and caregivers,

To be an advocate is to continue to knock on the doors of others, to remind them of the importance of listening, researching, learning, and finally taking a stance! If only one person does this, you have done your job. If many people do this, you have done a good job. But when our voices are heard loud and clear and action is taken, we have all done an excellent job!

I know that many are struggling with treatment, many are worrying about tests and results, I can remember this all too well. Always know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Please, please, take a moment to read and send your message to your representatives. Our voices must be heard loud and clear. The Bill has been re-introduced. Who better to "educate" our officials than the champion survivors and their caregivers on this site!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Lucy
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183

Be an advocate!
    My dearest lung cancer survivors and caregivers,

To be an advocate is to continue to knock on the doors of others, to remind them of the importance of listening, researching, learning, and finally taking a stance! If only one person does this, you have done your job. If many people do this, you have done a good job. But when our voices are heard loud and clear and action is taken, we have all done an excellent job!

I know that many are struggling with treatment, many are worrying about tests and results, I can remember this all too well. Always know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Please, please, take a moment to read and send your message to your representatives. Our voices must be heard loud and clear. The Bill has been re-introduced. Who better to "educate" our officials than the champion survivors and their caregivers on this site!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Lucy

Lucy
    You can count me in!! This is long overdue. Cheryl
  • luz del lago

Lucy
    You can count me in!! This is long overdue. Cheryl

Thank you, Grannylove!
    It's that old adage, if one person tells one person... So many things in history have been changed for the good, simply by people that stop, listen and act!

The only goal here is to educate and move our nation in the direction of better/sooner diagnosis', better treatments and a cure. We, on this site, know how important these are, now we must tell anyone that will listen. Tomorrow, it could be them.

Have a wonderful evening!

Lucy
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member

Thank you, Grannylove!
    It's that old adage, if one person tells one person... So many things in history have been changed for the good, simply by people that stop, listen and act!

The only goal here is to educate and move our nation in the direction of better/sooner diagnosis', better treatments and a cure. We, on this site, know how important these are, now we must tell anyone that will listen. Tomorrow, it could be them.

Have a wonderful evening!

Lucy

A friend at work today told
    A friend at work today told me that at her Rotary Club meeting they had a speaker from the American Cancer Society.She focused all of her remarks on lung cancer, and told them that this is the cancer that affects, and will affect more lives than all breast, colon, and prostate cancers combined. Many people were astounded to find out that non-smokers can get lung cancer! I can see there needs to be more education.